1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I’ve waited 44 years for a decent Cemflo, now 22 are coming at once.

:-)

Its a pretty iconic well travelled, long lived wagon, i’m  surprised it’s taken so long for someone to do it.

its it’s going to be a long day tomorrow...

FBB2F346-0B4B-43E0-B613-62A8F654D837.jpeg

Enjoy.

So for those of us héll bent on using a 26 mm standard axle length here's how mine was sorted.

I dug out my Twirley, Spinney, twisty, whirly thingy. (Think I'll have to dream up some jazzier name for it now it's out in public.

This is a gadget I knocked up eons ago that is an old Gibson axle to which I've filed off exactly half of the coning at one end but ensuring the length remained at 26mm over ends. It's surprisingly good at removing plastic when you slip it into a wagon and turn it using the single wheel. I used it for sorting axle boxes on rtr wagons that didn't run to freely.  It was similarly used on the Cemflo regularly turning the cutting end to deepen the opposite axle hole to ensure equal amounts  was  removed from each side.

In theory you cannot deepen the axle coning to more than 26mm unless you really give the W irons/axle boxes a bl**dy good squeeze.

Picture sez a thousand words and all that.

786805984_Ascale-Cemflo-056-EditSm.jpg.65e59151501d04de9d3d107244bf12a8.jpg

A Twirley, Spinney, twisty, whirly thingy earlier today.

25324860_Ascale-Cemflo-057-EditSm.jpg.60ee51aa201c4a3d50a78ab2dd13bed4.jpg

The Twirley, Spinney, twisty, whirly thingy ready to do its stuff.

PorcysPapperCombine.jpg.10225015ac3d7755e65b4af35e6a1fa3.jpg

Upper is factory fresh. Lower is after the Twirley, Spinney, twisty, whirly thingy has done its stuff.

How well did it work.

You tell me?

P

PorcysPapperCombine.jpg

A'scale-Cemflo-056-EditSm.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
Replace missing images after outage.
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

A couple of close ups of my new toy...

theres an an amazing amount of detail here..BF05BA99-C0BB-4028-ADA7-73F10E2D8E35.jpeg.6e8352872c04cdce38ca82fa8c23cc96.jpeg622E5FD8-0EB4-41D1-86C8-6A03588DAD07.jpeg.435123d929a6f878c6ad2b17e13b9deb.jpegF013D623-145D-4EA7-B7D4-9F91C5A48751.jpeg.897d146ced78c33c5ea29f424bbae537.jpeg3EE4CE2D-521F-40FB-A5E9-4E06914D73B3.jpeg.c834d92e5be81550ef2e1d538a04a344.jpeg18197FE4-D4B7-4C45-9375-6E890EA40B5B.jpeg.529f030f8d92bb9bdf58bd7fffb13cdc.jpeg4312B064-7F55-4BB0-BFFD-42FD3818B32D.jpeg.fcbe55e79fb02a077962d9c172ac1e1b.jpeg

only one brick to throw, the tank doesn’t lock to the chassis.. when I lifted it I felt the tank shift, and you can see it’s held by the pipes on the side, leaving a gap between tank and chassis, I tried 10 of them, it’s the same on all. A dab of glue on the lug underside may be required just to secure it, it goes into place as easily as it comes out.

A2C7649B-388D-47AF-B5C9-8448F6D23BB3.jpeg.4eec212bbbbb0caa826d7167e606fa96.jpeg

With careful handling it won’t be a problem, but thought it worthy of mention.

2FCDF0AE-4D2E-430E-B9AD-87E6954330FA.jpeg

Likes..

those screw links..

the hundreds of separate detail pieces

paint finish is excellant

the finish of the buffer heads is very nice

The rivets. 

Finesse of things like brake handles, tank lid handles, 

just look under this tank... (underside end of tank above the frame, below the tank) I don’t even know what they are but they look good..

CD64034A-BA6E-439B-9F5B-B58C881853B4.jpeg.1efe36f2864a69df2ec5a23a57b51be5.jpeg

Verdict.. your getting a lot of wagon for your money. When you consider another manufacturer is offering a 30+ year old 2 piece wagon (top and chassis) with moulded buffers for the same price as this wagon, which has got literally loads of separate pieces on.

It beats the HUO into 2nd place, but Accurascale is now holding 1st and 2nd place in the wagon stakes.

playtime tomorrow, tonight I am going to sleep dreaming that Accurascale consider an LMS 8f to go with their wagons, or my outside pet favourite.. an L&Y A class (and it’s sub classes).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Has anyone fitted Smiths screw/3/Instanters to these wagons yet? Is the chassis drillable and 'slot-able' to get them in? Any pictures if you have? Looking at prototypes it looks like Screws were fitted but experieince wold suggest that 3/Instanters will be easier to live with on exhibition layouts?

Edited by gridwatcher

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, gridwatcher said:

Has anyone fitted Smiths screw/3/Instanters to these wagons yet? Is the chassis drillable and 'slot-able' to get them in? Any pictures if you have? Looking at prototypes it looks like Screws were fitted but experieince wold suggest that 3/Instanters will be easier to live with on exhibition layouts?

Hi grid, each of the wagons are supplied with 2 screw link couplers in the parts bag! HTH

29 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

One tiny detail for future reference - the overhead live wire plaque should not have black lettering - they were entirely red on white.

... and there should be one placed centrally towards the top of the tank next to the weld.  It must still be in a cupboard in China along with LA 200's running number & vac release indicator.  Easily sorted though.

I like the lack of a number. gives us the chance to number some of the wagons not offered in the initial release. Maybe there is a opportunity for some budding transfer manufacturer?

Shows how far things have progressed when we are quibbling over the colour of the text on a 3 x 6 inch plate.

In the pic below the Accurascale tank is resting on the official Mett Cam portrait that appears in "Metro-Cammell", the book, by Keith Beddoes & Colin & Stephen Wheeler.

1687202499_Ascale-Cemflo-063-EditSm.jpg.75ed9fedc19392bf88d9ee609e9ee9a3.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Add more gumph.

• RMweb Premium
On 24/03/2019 at 06:06, 071 said:

Hi Douglas,

can you send this as an email to info@accurascale.co.uk and mark it for the attention of our technical director as I believe he has a solution? We will post it as a blog on our site too during the week after the Ally Pally madness dies down.

Cheers,

Fran

Fran,

Just to let you know I've managed to sort it now and have emailed Richard to confirm.

Thanks again for such a superb wagon and your usual excellent customer service. Looking forward to the Deltic and whatever other goodies you're planning to throw our way in the future.

Thanks again,

Douglas

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Ive gone inside...

2B63D31E-9692-4476-ACE2-E9692F08E105.jpeg.00080b71b04ac0afcaf116e15820058b.jpeg

The pipes on the sides are push fit, just unplug either by hand or with a cocktail stick and off it comes.

plenty of internal space, pending how first test runs go, probably tomorrow, i may add a bit of extra weight inside.

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

... and there should be one placed centrally towards the top of the tank next to the weld.  It must still be in a cupboard in China along with LA 200's running number & vac release indicator.  Easily sorted though.

I like the lack of a number. gives us the chance to number some of the wagons not offered in the initial release. Maybe there is a opportunity for some budding transfer manufacturer?

Shows how far things have progressed when we are quibbling over the colour of the text on a 3 x 6 inch plate.

In the pic below the Accurascale tank is resting on the official Mett Cam portrait that appears in "Metro-Cammell", the book, by Keith Beddoes & Colin & Stephen Wheeler.

1687202499_Ascale-Cemflo-063-EditSm.jpg.75ed9fedc19392bf88d9ee609e9ee9a3.jpg

P

Hi everyone,

Not sure quite how it happened (internal investiagtion ongoing, with a view to provide a right good hiding to parties responsible later!) but it looks like we have indeed created what many customers have badgered us for lately; an unnumbered wagon! So, fill yer boots and convince us we should do more in future. Since these also ran in TOPS with the Blue Circle boards in some cases, they make for good conversion fodder there too.

Sorry everyone, we will do better next time. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, McC said:

Hi grid, each of the wagons are supplied with 2 screw link couplers in the parts bag! HTH

Hi Lads

I know. Chatted with Fran this a.m. But the (beautiful) supplied screw links are still a bit stiff in the horizontal plane and might not be reliable enough in the hurly burly of running 20 odd wagon block trains on a exhibition layout

• Informative/Useful 1

42 minutes ago, 071 said:

Hi everyone,

Not sure quite how it happened (internal investiagtion ongoing, with a view to provide a right good hiding to parties responsible later!) but it looks like we have indeed created what many customers have badgered us for lately; an unnumbered wagon! So, fill yer boots and convince us we should do more in future. Since these also ran in TOPS with the Blue Circle boards in some cases, they make for good conversion fodder there too.

Sorry everyone, we will do better next time. 

Cheers!

Fran

That's what we like to hear, someone is going to get a damned good thrashing.

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, gridwatcher said:

Hi Lads

I know. Chatted with Fran this a.m. But the (beautiful) supplied screw links are still a bit stiff in the horizontal plane and might not be reliable enough in the hurly burly of running 20 odd wagon block trains on a exhibition layout

Not complaining but it would have been useful if the coupling could be clipped into place. As it is, it will have to be permanently glued in place and any failures on a 20 plus train would be down to my poor workmanship.

Not sure yet what radius the couplings will negotiate or are they intended to be cosmetic?

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, gridwatcher said:

Hi Lads

If you are running block trains, how about using moulded screw links that clip into the NEM pockets?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lads

Give it a go you big sissy! 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, RBAGE said:

Not complaining but it would have been useful if the coupling could be clipped into place. As it is, it will have to be permanently glued in place and any failures on a 20 plus train would be down to my poor workmanship.

Not sure yet what radius the couplings will negotiate or are they intended to be cosmetic?

They are intended to be purely cosmetic Bob, just very nicely done (we were most impressed when we saw them first time, well done to China on that one)

Cheers

Fran

• Like 2

Still the best rendering of a RIV international screw that I've seen.

1030444763_Ascale-Cemflo-080-editSm.jpg.bb2f44882bb7340cab2819be3f283d20.jpg

CemfloDarlo-021-EditSm.jpg.4f325ba07a83766b68850161f1b95e84.jpg

I loosened mine up nicely with a bit of twiddling. The plastic rivets may be a bit suspect but a bit more fiddling will see them strengthened up and sprung. The steel links are nice for those wanting to use magnetic uncoupling sticks.

P

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 071 said:

They are intended to be purely cosmetic Bob, just very nicely done (we were most impressed when we saw them first time, well done to China on that one)

Cheers

Fran

I can see these lovely couplings ending up on the front of locos, never mind hidden between 2 wagons.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

I can see these lovely couplings ending up on the front of locos, never mind hidden between 2 wagons.

Sales of them in accessory packs have been very strong, which is great. Mind you, we do them at good value. We have instanters coming with the PCAs too, same gig again. They're also quite lovely 

PCA-066.JPG.08f660aa1fc37713f90d5a99fe351162.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RBAGE said:

Not many kettles with those RIV links & hooks but plenty of diseasels  (but with more substantial hooks), BR Brakes along with dozens and dozens of the more modern type of wagon.

Now those seperate spring mouldings.  I could make use of a few of those...