• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

If anyone would like to express any interest, it might help to cover the cost of CAD drawings and printing and encourage me to follow the printing route.

The barrel on the Gloucester's and the Met Camms are, as far as I can tell, the same size. That the Gloucester's sit higher on the chassis explains many of the visible differences:

- air pipe offset

- higher support gusset

- end platform cylinder positions

I don't intend changing the end cylinders but I did commission Gloucester cylinders for my Triang conversion a few years ago. These cylinders are still available.

If you want to convert your cemflos to the correct height, you also need to consider the barrel ribs. These will need to be extended to the chassis.

I have drawings from the Gloucester archive. Surprisingly, the archive also had Met Camm drawings. I have a great contact for such information but I'm not sure if he would be happy for him to post his name but suffice to say, these conversions would be much more difficult and very much approximations without his help.  

You might need a few expressions of interest for the 3 D printing but you can put my name down so far. Would it be possible to scan the relevent parts of drawings and post them here assuming you can get permission.

• Like 1

On 27/05/2019 at 18:44, zr2498 said:

Here goes with stage 2 of the Cemflo weathering

a) As previously mentioned we now come to oil paints which sounds a bit scary, but it can be worked and easily removed with white spirit  so there is plenty of time to adjust. I was using the colours as below

Fantastic weathering you've achieved there. Can I ask whether you had any issue with the white spirit affecting the factory-applied finish on the models? Unfortunately I managed to spill isopropanol on one of mine and it removed a patch of silver from the barrel within a few seconds! This surprised me, as I've previously found that isopropanol needed a long soak to remove any sort of factory-applied paint by other manfuacturers. I suppose it could be due to the finish being metallic.

Hopefully I can cover it up with some strategically placed cement strains...

Edited by Pillar

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pillar said:

Fantastic weathering you've achieved there. Can I ask whether you had any issue with the white spirit affecting the factory-applied finish on the models? Unfortunately I managed to spill isopropanol on one of mine and it removed a patch of silver from the barrel within a few seconds! This surprised me, as I've previously found that isopropanol needed a long soak to remove any sort of factory-applied paint by other manfuacturers. I suppose it could be due to the finish being metallic.

Hopefully I can cover it up with some strategically placed cement strains...

White spirit did not adversely effect the paint finish (when mixing with the oils), and even when I used a flat damp brush (white spirit) to clean up overpaint with the very first task of panel lining. I guess flooding the surface might have behaved differently. I did have one or two issues with decals being attacked so was careful not to paint too much oil over them and kept the spray clear when airbrushing acrylics to the lower tank area. The Dullcote varnish might give a degree of protection. Your solution with a stain cover sounds ideal. The Isoproponal will be more aggressive (last resort for cleaning unwanted paint off), so perhaps there lies the problem. Pleased to help

David

• 1 month later...

Now claimed

Hi All,

I have 10 sets of Genesis PCV axlebox castings (from a now abandoned PCV project) that I'd prefer see go to a good home rather than just chuck out - please PM me if you want them - no cost.

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

If anyone is looking for some cemflo inspiration, it's worth having a look here on @Dave F's thread, including the single cemflo hauled away by a chopper after the Thirsk incident. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-8th-july/&do=findComment&comment=1438129

Great pics! 

• Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

If anyone is looking for some cemflo inspiration, it's worth having a look here on @Dave F's thread, including the single cemflo hauled away by a chopper after the Thirsk incident. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-8th-july/&do=findComment&comment=1438129

Great pics! 

Look at all those lovely PVVs at the front of the train of cemflos. Pity nobody has done these lovely vans that would suit the Accurascale cemflo perfectly.

Smashing article in this months Hornby magazine on Cemflo weathering and a section on conversion to the Gloucester vehicle.

I'm still struggling to get someones attention to prepare CAD and print parts to complete my conversions. If anyone is interested in conversions, can produce 3D print design files and can print, please get in touch. I have drawings of the Gloucesters and the only part that is beyond me is the bottom discharge. I've tried scratch building in styrene but it looks a bit hefty. 

5 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Look at all those lovely PVVs at the front of the train of cemflos.

Almost as desirable as a...  dare I say it...   C...   Con...   Conflat L.    :rolleyes:

Whitwell 08263+08xxx 1980s

https://www.flickr.com/photos/actonwellsjunction/

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Almost as desirable as a...  dare I say it...   C...   Con...   Conflat L.    :rolleyes:

Whitwell 08263+08xxx 1980s

https://www.flickr.com/photos/actonwellsjunction/

P

Couldn't agree more - and two versions into the bargain.

I've got them all - Tri-ang, Genesis and Bill Bedford's - but an RTR would be very desirable for running a decent rake.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I've got them all - Tri-ang, Genesis and Bill Bedford's - but an RTR would be very desirable for running a decent rake.

So have  did I.  Must admit to the Genesis jobbies being converted into boiler ballast as not fit for purpose.

Lots of detail required to bring the Bedford containers up to scratch:

ConflatL-Ctainer-013-edit.jpg.40f6e187c36dc52f65c250ebc21c5593.jpg

and sixteen of these little b*ggers to knock up per wagon. Tis enough to drive you barmy.  Oh, hang on a mo, I've reached that destination already.

Cflat-L-ContShkl-001-EditSm.jpg.237c2e89ddac285ab37fe31b60d971db.jpg

Common you Dublin boys. I'll even buy you a Guinness apiece.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 09/07/2019 at 13:40, RBAGE said:

Look at all those lovely PVVs at the front of the train of cemflos. Pity nobody has done these lovely vans that would suit the Accurascale cemflo perfectly.

Now that's a good idea! Who do we know who could do something like that?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 10/07/2019 at 22:19, Mick Bonwick said:

Now that's a good idea! Who do we know who could do something like that?

Isn't someone from the Duchy producing a PRA?

Weren't the PRAs built on chassis from PVVs?

Or am I talking b*ll*cks?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

You're perfectly correct, John; PVVs were used for the PRA, and also the PSA (two styles of bodywork)

• RMweb Gold

For those doing the Gloucester conversion. Modelu have put the vacuum cylinders on their web site

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/detailing-components/locomotive-detailing/rolling-stock/

image.png.fddfcc4e2e0de8267e240bdef5b20f2b.png

Following on from some correspondence with Bob, the alternative route for the different discharge equipment of the Cemflo would be a photoetch for the complete unit. This would give finer detail than a 3D print. I will have a go at the design after a couple of other jobs for artwork have been completed. Bob has kindly supplied some engineering drawings.

Dave

• Like 4

On 14/07/2019 at 21:33, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

No, not b*ll*cks, but if they do it then your talking alot of money!  Maybe even pricier than a pair of  b*ll*cks? 

......Just in case they do do it, and you have to cash em in!  :butcher:  LOL!

Best Wishes,

C.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Mike,

We never found a yellow one in our research, so I reckon not. But, if anyone has a pic, please send it on!

Cheers,

Fran

Porcy, someone's thrown the gauntlet down.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

Is there a prototype for the Triang Yellow PCAs?

I have been hounding my colleagues since the Cemflo was a spark in the eye on our designers - to no avail! if anyone can find a photo of a yellow one - I'll buy them a pack myself :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1