Hi, do we know how many wagons were built and what numbers were built in each year. Is there also a way of finding out which ones and how many were destroyed/withdrawn after the 1967 accident near Thirsk.

thanks Fred 

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi, do we know how many wagons were built and what numbers were built in each year. Is there also a way of finding out which ones and how many were destroyed/withdrawn after the 1967 accident near Thirsk.

thanks Fred 

Hi Fred,

A total of 285 of these bulk cement wagons were constructed for Associated Portland Cement Manufacturers (APCM) between 1963 and 1965. Sorry, I dont know which numbers were built in what year or which ones were destroyed in the 1967 accident.

Cheers!

Fran

19 minutes ago, Fredo said:

thanks Fred 

LA233 appears to have been the first vehicle to derail. I couldn't find any record of the other numbers, either on Wikipedia or the Railway Archive.

17 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Thanks for sharing this Porsea, a terrible accident and a very informative read...I did like the reference to the 2 trainspotters at Pilmoor who are described as persons who ‘took a keen interest in railway matters’...

• Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Axlebox said:

Thanks for sharing this Porsea, a terrible accident and a very informative read...I did like the reference to the 2 trainspotters at Pilmoor who are described as persons who ‘took a keen interest in railway matters’...

Cold war spies, more like.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

14 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Cold war spies, more like.

Who’d have thought 40 years later you’d be a vital part of on the war on terror...nothing puts terrorists off more than a gaggle of old people armed with cameras...perhaps we should similarly arm our OAPs and send them out to fight off anti social behaviour...can you imagine the humiliation of being told off in public by a bus load of pensioners...

Edited by Axlebox
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Axlebox said:

Who’d have thought 40 years later you’d be a vital part of on the war on terror...nothing puts terrorists off more than a gaggle of old people armed with cameras...perhaps we should similarly arm our OAPs and send them out to fight off anti social behaviour...can you imagine the humiliation of being told off in public by a bus load of pensioners...

"I know your mother and don't think I won't tell her what you've been up to".

"Don't talk to me like that, I'll wash your mouth out with carbolic".

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

There was also a severe derailment at Uddingston Junction involving several Cemflo's which I believe were scrapped on site. The construction and design of the wagon didn't take too kindly to derailments twisting the solebars and causing frame fractures. I'm surprised that they lasted as long as they did really but I suppose being privately owned they had to be written down over a set period.

May we be able to persuade Accurascale to do another pre-tops run....................or dare I mention Gloucesters!  I do need some more but liked the Gloucester livery better...............when they were new and not encrusted with cement. But well done to you for producing the type in the first place.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BrushVeteran said:

There was also a severe derailment at Uddingston Junction involving several Cemflo's which I believe were scrapped on site. The construction and design of the wagon didn't take too kindly to derailments twisting the solebars and causing frame fractures. I'm surprised that they lasted as long as they did really but I suppose being privately owned they had to be written down over a set period.

May we be able to persuade Accurascale to do another pre-tops run....................or dare I mention Gloucesters!  I do need some more but liked the Gloucester livery better...............when they were new and not encrusted with cement. But well done to you for producing the type in the first place.

Why not convert your own? It's not so difficult and I have all the bits you can't make yourself.

Instructions from my conversions freely provided to all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrushVeteran said:

Also, the conversion from the TOPS cemflo is little different from pre-TOPS. 

Thanks for that kind offer RBAGE, my problem is time even though I'm supposed to be retired. I have six full size buses to complete restorations on................I may even live to complete them!

However always up for a challenge if it is as easy as you say I might just try a couple in the forthcoming dark evenings!....................so would take you up on your offer of instruction.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BrushVeteran said:

Thanks for that kind offer RBAGE, my problem is time even though I'm supposed to be retired. I have six full size buses to complete restorations on................I may even live to complete them!

However always up for a challenge if it is as easy as you say I might just try a couple in the forthcoming dark evenings!....................so would take you up on your offer of instruction.

Send email address by pm and I will oblige. 

There were some with modded suspension latterly used internally at Weardale works.  I think PB has pics of the suspension in his Zenfolio.

Larkin had a pic in "PO wagons on BR". Thinks the mods were carried out beyond your timescale.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RBAGE said:

Did they make any changes to the suspension as a result of the accident and the subsequent report?

The recommendation to alter to single link suspension doesn't appear to have been carried out. Whether the minor alterations to some of the dimensions was made is not possible to tell from photos, these do seem very similar to the drawing of the suspension in the report. To the best of my knowledge only one had the complete alteration to having a suspension unit, which fortunately we photographed and measured. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/cemflo/e3a9129a

As to the buffers, whether they altered the type of Oleo hydraulic buffers fitted I am not proficient to say. The photos look like 2ft 01/2in which again is as in the official drawing. 

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/07/2020 at 09:00, RBAGE said:

My latest modification was to try to recreate the official Gloucester photograph, as seen on Paul Bartlett's site. That of LA21 with open solebar.

The modifications include:

- Raise the barrel to correct height for Gloucesters

- Fit correct gusset plate to support raised height.

- Fit air pipes with kink. Fitted in different position to Met Camms.

- Replacement axlebox / suspension.

- Remove solebar reinforcement and replace with Gloucester "box" type reinforcement.

- Replace hand wheels.

- Complete new bottom discharge equipment.

DSCN1528.JPG.773af591ff0544100495c23b88cfdd02.JPG 

Having had one of Bobs conversions pass through my hands I can confirm the comments on here ..... a stunning model

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

There were some with modded suspension latterly used internally at Weardale works.  I think PB has pics of the suspension in his Zenfolio.

Larkin had a pic in "PO wagons on BR". Thinks the mods were carried out beyond your timescale.

P

Were the modification visible? If so, what does the Accurascale model represent? Is it OK for 1960's running, I wonder?

24 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Were the modification visible? If so, what does the Accurascale model represent? Is it OK for 1960's running, I wonder?

Same wagon  (LA236) & suspension as in PB photographs. Mr Larkin dates his photo as 1969 at Hoo Junction.

P

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Same wagon  (LA236) & suspension as in PB photographs. Mr Larkin dates his photo as 1969 at Hoo Junction.

P

Cheers Porcy. Without your help I would have been up all night, worrying.

• Funny 1

40 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Without your help I would have been up all night, worrying.

Typical Micky Moor  breeding. Must have been the proximity to the detonator works.