• RMweb Gold

A quick operation question..

were the wagons arranged in a way that the cylinders under the tank ends were always uniformal, or were they mix / matched in which way around they appeared in the train ?

i gave them a quick run today, video tomorrow, very free running, but 22 of them do not need any more weight, and on my rickety trainset track I’ve yet to have a single derailment, they hold the track well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

A quick operation question..

were the wagons arranged in a way that the cylinders under the tank ends were always uniformal, or were they mix / matched in which way around they appeared in the train ?

i gave them a quick run today, video tomorrow, very free running, but 22 of them do not need any more weight, and on my rickety trainset track I’ve yet to have a single derailment, they hold the track well.

What did you use to pull them? I'm wondering whether a Bachmann 40 will pull 26 of them.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RBAGE said:

What did you use to pull them? I'm wondering whether a Bachmann 40 will pull 26 of them.

Mine had no problem on 22 today, I have gradients... but tomorrow it will do “the” gradient, but I have confidence, using D338, not so sure about the “older” 40’s (40075) with 4 wheel drives.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll be running mine with the cylinders all facing the same direction as I was hoping (like for the HUOs) to replace the couplings with Roco Close Couplings but this didn't work so ended up fitting a Hornby Roco Close Coupling at the cylinder end and a Roco Close Coupling at the other end.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RBAGE said:

A Bachmann 40 could pull 21 Hornby/Triang re-wheeled ones up a 1 in 30 slope, so you shouldn't have a problem.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

A Bachmann 40 could pull 21 Hornby/Triang re-wheeled ones up a 1 in 30 slope, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Newton Hall Junction is on the level (unlike myself before you grasp the opportunity) so all should be fine.

3 hours ago, RBAGE said:

My Heljan 58, or class 33 or Dapol 73 will each cope with ease 18 Hornby/Lima V tanks plus 2 Bachmann PCAs plus 4 a Hornby / Lima PDAs no problem. The big weighty Bachmann 40 should walk away with these modern free running rolling stock.

7 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

My Heljan 58, or class 33 or Dapol 73 will each cope with ease 18 Hornby/Lima V tanks plus 2 Bachmann PCAs plus 4 a Hornby / Lima PDAs no problem. The big weighty Bachmann 40 should walk away with these modern free running rolling stock.

It will be entertaining to watch a class 40 trying to get to grips with such a big load after being held in a loop once something faster had passed.  A bit of a struggle with a sound fitted loco would be nice.

Edited by RBAGE
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, cctransuk said:

One tiny detail for future reference - the overhead live wire plaque should not have black lettering - they were entirely red on white.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John, 

My fault, dumb cad issue. Red on screen is rendered in black, I forgot to change it so it rendered as red on the graphic plates. Consider me "damn good thrashed". Fran has taken a bush off the roof of HQ for my punishment thrashing... (you should see him wield a scissor lift...! )

As for the couplings, they are "push fit - stubborn type" if you want to avoid gluing. 

However, I'm kinda disappointed that nobody has spotted the Easter Eggs throughout the markings though... oh well...

RM

7 hours ago, Irish_R_M said:

John, 

My fault, dumb cad issue. Red on screen is rendered in black, I forgot to change it so it rendered as red on the graphic plates. Consider me "damn good thrashed". Fran has taken a bush off the roof of HQ for my punishment thrashing... (you should see him wield a scissor lift...! )

As for the couplings, they are "push fit - stubborn type" if you want to avoid gluing. 

However, I'm kinda disappointed that nobody has spotted the Easter Eggs throughout the markings though... oh well...

RM

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Hopefully soon, only I'll be in India for two weeks.

10 hours ago, RBAGE said:

It will be entertaining to watch a class 40 trying to get to grips with such a big load after being held in a loop once something faster had passed.  A bit of a struggle with a sound fitted loco would be nice.

That is one thing I hope to do with mine. Put a sound fitted 40 on front, then try a 33 then a pair of choppers, a 37 etc and maybe at the end of the year, an Accurascale Deltic!

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Hopefully soon, only I'll be in India for two weeks.

That is one thing I hope to do with mine. Put a sound fitted 40 on front, then try a 33 then a pair of choppers, a 37 etc and maybe at the end of the year, an Accurascale Deltic!

Just keep your DP2 away from them...

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Irish_R_M said:

John, 

RM

I found one oddity on one of my huo’s...

I have pre-TOPS HUOs, but one of them has a 1977 date.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That must be a hint as to when mine might arrive, I can wait, I like chocolate!

Mike.

Well, mine arrived on the 26th, but it was Correos' little secret, so I managed to collect them from the Ayuntamiento this morning based on a whim and the tracking information!

A quick hack and drill and the existing wheels were transferred onto a 26mm axle and, voila, an EM Cemflo.

Just as aside, has anyone managed to solve the coupling conundrum and get the tommy bar to obey rather than defy gravity when connected to an adjacent wagon?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I'm still working on my video from todays running session, however to answer the question of how does a class 40 perform on 22 Cemflos…+ 2 Brake vans..

here is Bachmanns D338 starting with load 22 on a 1:25 Gradient (that has a 1ft section of 1:12 behind it)…

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I'm still working on my video from todays running session, however to answer the question of how does a class 40 perform on 22 Cemflos…+ 2 Brake vans..

here is Bachmanns D338 starting with load 22 on a 1:25 Gradient (that has a 1ft section of 1:12 behind it)…

Well, that was easy. Thanks.

Well mine have been busy on the layout. Each wagon has its own character, there are lots of little marking details between each. The rake is not like one format with just a different running number. Many of the tiny signs are so small that you wonder why they bothered! But it really adds to the character.

Here are some pics;

aIMG_0298.jpg

A Crosti 9F. Ok not strictly accurate!

aIMG_0301.jpg

Class 33 with the rake and a nervous big diesel trying to pass with an express.

aIMG_0306.jpg

A class 85 with the rake.

aIMG_0308.jpg

Class 17 with a mixed rake of Cemflos and Presflos. Entirely prototypical.

aIMG_0323.jpg

Ditto

aIMG_0331.jpg

Class 15 with a mixed rake. Not sure if this ever happened. TOPs stuff is placed towards the rear to give depth.

aIMG_0334.jpg

Close up with a Cemflo/Presflo mix..

aIMG_0342.jpg

My rake of Cemflos and Presflos are technically a mix of 2 or 3 decades. But by shuffling TOPs stuff to the front and placing pre tops behind, you can imagine an 80s train.

aIMG_0348.jpg

See what I mean....

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

Many of the tiny signs are so small that you wonder why they bothered!

@hmrspaul has the photos of the prototypes, with all the quirks and oddities you could imagine, so why not! 

RM. 

Edited by Irish_R_M
sp3ll1ng
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Irish_R_M said:

@hmrspaul has the photos of the prototypes, with all the quirks and oddities you could imagine, so why not! 

RM. 

These really are painstaking attention to detail. A work of art. Just missing a scaled down mouse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1