A simple coal yard

Guest ShildonShunter

Guest ShildonShunter

My cakebox challenge is based on a small coal yard simple but fun. I will incorporate a backscene with a small embankment along with fencing a length of oo gauge track a Wills coal yard kit and a coal truck. I will also have a coal wagon, workman. The scenery and ballasting will be done along the way. All of this will be on a scale model scenes baseboard.:)post-34430-0-37638200-1528381724_thumb.jpg

Edited by ShildonShunter
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kevin

Those scale mode scenes baseboards are ideal for the CBC, I used one myself and there's no need to get the tape measure out.

Your concept sounds great, there is still bags of room on this challenge for more coal yard scenes. Looking forward to see how it progresses.

Regards

Mark

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Mark thanks for the nice comments and I agree about more coal yards scenes. I'm looking forward to this coal yard modelling.:)

Sounds interesting, very often simple scenes are the most effective, so I look forward to seeing how your concept progresses. I'm currently on with my sixth cakebox project, it's still very much in it's infancy, ie a plain base with a plain backscene card attached, I've not had the chance to progress it lately due to one or two other commitments, but hope to get a bit more work done this weekend.

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Andrew many thanks for your comments and I'm currently following your progress on Journeys End. Like your cakebox mine is still in the infancy stage, tomorrow i will be modelling the cardboard framework for the embankment area.:)

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi I managed to lay the track and finished the embankment structure ready for back filling and applying paper mache strips of kitchen roll. More over the weekend.:)post-34430-0-94716800-1528486180_thumb.jpg

Edited by ShildonShunter
  • Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Looking good, I will be following with interest.

Jerry.

Thanks Jerry for the nice comments in going to start my paper mache on the embankment this afternoon.:)

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi I managed a little more work on the cakebox completed the paper mache on the embankment area. Once dried will apply a coat of filla to the embankment area. Also finished building the coal office and staithe and p!aced them on the cakebox where they will be situated once painting and weathering is complete.:)

post-34430-0-10444100-1528648140_thumb.jpg

Edited by ShildonShunter
  • Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi I managed to progress a little further on the coal yard cakebox today, laid the sandpaper ready for the coal yard surface the embankment is ready to be scattered with grass this will probably be done tomorrow as I'm waiting for some pipetts to arrive. The coal office just needs weathering a little still plenty of work to do. Here is a picture of the progress to date.:)

post-34430-0-25149100-1528809254_thumb.jpgpost-34430-0-11030500-1528809711_thumb.jpg

Edited by ShildonShunter

Guest ShildonShunter

Progress made today on the embankment and the coal yard surface. I have done some grassing on the embankment once dry will apply some nice static grass. The coal yard surface has been nicely weathered and I'm pleased with the outcome. Here are some pics of the progress to date.:)

post-34430-0-63476400-1528894492_thumb.jpgpost-34430-0-08771900-1528894510_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

That sandpaper worked really well.. I used air dry clay around my yard area for a similar effect, but mine was more work!

Following with interest as my next job is to work on my coal yard!

Hi Scott thanks for the comments it was my first attempt at creating the surface of a coal yard and really happy with it. Quite a few people have used sandpaper with great affect so hence i did to.:)

Hi Scott thanks for the comments it was my first attempt at creating the surface of a coal yard and really happy with it. Quite a few people have used sandpaper with great affect so hence i did to.:)

I've user sand paper on my 009 layout to give a gravel texture but never though of using it for a coal yard surface. Great idea and it really looks the part too!

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Luke thanks for the nice comments I thought it's either sandpaper or sand for the coal yard surface and found the sandpaper is really easy to work with.:)

Guest ShildonShunter

This morning I managed to complete the ballast and fitted one of the fences, the ballast will need plenty time to dry out so I can concentrate on painting the other fencing for the layout. Here is an update picture.:)

post-34430-0-01898800-1528956233_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Looks very neat & tidy.

Thanks Stu for the nice comments the cakebox is coming along nicely still have some static grass to add so it should look as though it's being used.:)

Guest ShildonShunter

Coming together nicely, I like the use of the sandpaper painted black (i may have to borrow that one lol ).

Jerry.

Hi Jerry thanks for the comments I think it's great to see what other modellers are using as you can always try them out yourself.;)

Guest ShildonShunter

Do you have some sleeper grime for the rails? I think it would really help.

Hi Scott not got any sleeper grime will need to order some as in the past i use rust colours on the rails but I try the sleeper grime with it being a coal yard theme.:)

Guest ShildonShunter

Looks very nice and I like the texture/colour you've achieved on the stonework for the coal office. Would the sandpaper work for a tarmac surface?

Hi 009 micro modeller the sandpaper will definitely be ideal for tarmac surfaces. Thanks for your nice comments.:)

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi some more progress on the coal yard last night remainder of fencing and coal office glued into position also managed to put some follage on the side of the office. Still need to complete embankment and little bits around the coal yard with clumps of grass and static grass. Anyway here is a picture of progress to date.:)post-34430-0-60277400-1529054468_thumb.jpg

post-34430-0-92700800-1529054080_thumb.jpg

Edited by ShildonShunter
  • Like 2