APT-P Photographs

That P-Train coach used to sit in the foyer of the CM&EE Dept. at the RTC in Derby. I suppose BR donated it to the Silk Mill when the project was cancelled. At one time there were two of them with the articulated bogie connecting them, but the 2nd one vanished after a while.

All that was all after I left BR in April '78 but I still went back to the RTC for some years afterwards as they changed from being my employers to one of my customers then.  :D

Hi Kit.

Yes the model coach we have is from the Silk Mill museum and it was originally fixed to the DTS they still have. We also have the artic bogie that they used, what they did was disconnect them and put the coach we have, into storage. After a couple of years i was contacted by the curator there asking if we wanted it and if we didn't it was going in the skip !!!...needless to say i said yes so off we went with a long wheel base transit van and collected it. I had to take the window out of the APT so i could get it in !

Cheers Brian.

P.S hope your well.

Ahah, that clears it all up then. I didn't realise the Silk Mill still had any P-Train stuff there, it's been DECADES since I was there.

I'm doing very well thanks Brian, just getting ready for this years big Model Show at Telford. Not a model railway show I might add....... 

• Like 1

Ahah, that clears it all up then. I didn't realise the Silk Mill still had any P-Train stuff there, it's been DECADES since I was there.

The Silk Mill is currently closed until 2020 so it will be interesting to see if they have the model and City of Derby nameplate in the new display.

Yes it is Rob. iIm in contact with Spencer now and again enquiring what will happen with the DTS they have, whether it's going on display or not.

I asked a few months back if it was possible to pop over he said yes as long as plenty of time is given before hand as like you say, it's shut until 2020

• 1 month later...

They're not that uncommon, usually several during the course of a year on ebay. The HST is much harder to find, certainly without paint damage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 21:02, craigy said:

Hi all.

The power car gets a mention in the latest edition of The Railway Magazine, quite a lrge one aswell.

post-6042-0-37066100-1541624553_thumb.jpg

Hi Craig

Nice one, about time you got some praised for all your hard work, and great to see your name getting a mention for all your hard work that you have put in to it, to getting it look like it does today, should have been a now and then photo to.

Hope you are keeping ok Bud.

Regards

Jamie 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7APT7 Truly superb job on that restoration. The only Photo i have of this was I think from Crewe  works open day back in 96? maybe. and it look like it was ready for scrapping!

I will never forget my first and only close up with an APT in my youth as a 7 year old at the 20/09/81 Old Oak Common Depot open day. Fell in love with it the moment I clapped eyes on it .  This brings me to a question can anyone confirm the formation of the APT that day. One very kind member on  here has given us a list of number which is confirmed for the most part by the photos which have surface so far. The only issue is his list has three DTS vehicles in it. SO I'm trying to confirm what we have so far.

DTS -  48101 (370001)

TBF -  48601 (370001)

M    -  49002 

TBF -  48607 (370007)

TF   -  48503 (370003)

T?   -  48??? This is the one causing some confusion

TS   -  48201 (370001)

DTS - 48107 (370007)

If anyone has  the answer I would love to know as this  is my end goal for a conversion of an old Hornby APT

Cheers Trailrage 

11-13-2012_039 (002).JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi.

Chances are it was a TRUB 484--, remember that the train wasn't always made up of the original coaches they swapped and changed around, so they could end in anything from 1 - 7. What number you have there or was given could well be correct.

Brian

• Like 1

On 17/02/2019 at 13:37, craigy said:

Hi.

Chances are it was a TRUB 484--, remember that the train wasn't always made up of the original coaches they swapped and changed around, so they could end in anything from 1 - 7. What number you have there or was given could well be correct.

Brian

Hi Craigy 

The missing number above was given as  48106 which is the Driving Trailer from 370006.  It may well be  TRUB 48406 as that would make sense but trying to confirm this is difficult as I cant seem to find any other pictures / info on this scratch set. so frustratingly close though!

Cheers Trailrage 

• Like 1

Hi trailrage.

Seee if you can get a picture of the other end of the train that would solve the problem. You can then work out which coach is which, then the coach the coach you need can be worked out by looking at it's window layout, ie; 2 windows missing or red stripe along the top it's the TRUB, Yellow stripe its a 1st class, no stripe 2nd class.

Brian

• Like 1

On 19/02/2019 at 23:57, TRAILRAGE said:

Hi Craigy 

The missing number above was given as  48106 which is the Driving Trailer from 370006.  It may well be  TRUB 48406 as that would make sense but trying to confirm this is difficult as I cant seem to find any other pictures / info on this scratch set. so frustratingly close though!

Cheers Trailrage 

Hi Trailrage,

I have found your posts about the 1981 OOC Open Day very interesting.  I too tried a little while back to get the numbers of all the vehicles in the train but sadly to little final result.  Photos do seem to be very rare of more than just the end vehicles (the face of the APT, as it were).  In fact, you ended up with more vehicle IDs than me - I had 48101, 48601, Power Car, 48607... that was all!

I remember my Dad taking photos and this evening I checked his collection but could only find one of a little 'Ixion' in front of the power car 370001.  I know he took several photos from the Open Day and they are somewhere but not sure where - he used to take pictures of buildings, etc., so if I find one with a chance view of the APT in the background, I'll let you know.

In the meantime, it would be great to know what the full list was... so please keep going!

The Open Days of those days bring back lots of fond memories!

Cheers,

Ixion.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• AY Mod locked this topic
  • AY Mod unlocked this topic

Just a bump to let APT fans know that Andy has kindly unlocked and transferred this thread from its original location. I'm especially grateful given the input of Kit Spackman and the team looking after the set at Crewe.

C6T. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Is 49006 the power car that was stored at MoD Kineton in the 90s? 

I was posted there 97 to 00 and a power car was parked outside the Returned Ammunition Group sheds and former Processing Building 13 along with a Merseyside 502 or 3. They had gone by the time I went back in 2002, though there was a spare Deltic engine laid up by the loco shed. 

Yes, it was the one 'stored' at Kineton, and pretty diabolical it looked too. 

It came from the set that's at the Crewe site now, but the NRM decided to retain it, and after much work by Brian it's looking a LOT better now!

For a while it was at Shildon, buried in the depths of the building where it couldn't be seen, but Paul and I managed to get aboard it. The interior is in amazingly good shape, compared to how the outsides looked, and the Mk IV tilt pack on 49006 is in maybe the best shape of any tilt packs anywhere. 

49006 accel.jpg

49006 inside Shildon-b.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt
Pics disappeared during the outage
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

It was stored outside with no protection (although it was against a wall so I'd be intrigued to know if one side was better than the other) but deep inside what is a fairly secure site. There were some strictly enforced rules about not entering stored stock.

I'm glad it's been restored.

By the time it got to Shildon the paintwork was pretty much scrap on both sides.

The guys at the Electric Railway Museum did quite a good job of stopping the rot once it got down there, and they re-primed the whole outer shell, but that was all as they ended up fighting officialdom just to try and save the museum, and sadly failed. :sad_mini:

But Brian REALLY sorted it out once it got to Crewe, and in a ridiculously short time too! :)

It's good that the whole Development Train is all in one place now. 

• RMweb Premium
On 13/02/2019 at 22:12, TRAILRAGE said:

7APT7 Truly superb job on that restoration. The only Photo i have of this was I think from Crewe  works open day back in 96? maybe. and it look like it was ready for scrapping!

I will never forget my first and only close up with an APT in my youth as a 7 year old at the 20/09/81 Old Oak Common Depot open day. Fell in love with it the moment I clapped eyes on it .  This brings me to a question can anyone confirm the formation of the APT that day. One very kind member on  here has given us a list of number which is confirmed for the most part by the photos which have surface so far. The only issue is his list has three DTS vehicles in it. SO I'm trying to confirm what we have so far.

DTS -  48101 (370001)

TBF -  48601 (370001)

M    -  49002 

TBF -  48607 (370007)

TF   -  48503 (370003)

T?   -  48??? This is the one causing some confusion

TS   -  48201 (370001)

DTS - 48107 (370007)

If anyone has  the answer I would love to know as this  is my end goal for a conversion of an old Hornby APT

Cheers Trailrage 

11-13-2012_039 (002).JPG

I have rechecked my original notes from 20/09/81 and the transcription I made later, and unfortunately I can't resolve the anomaly.  48106 is clearly recorded which must be incorrect as this was a DVT which wouldn't have been marshalled in the middle of the train's consist.  Like you I have now searched for other observations from the web along with photographs without success.  I wonder if you had thought about requesting for a list of stock from the OD on this and other other forums.  I am sure somebody out there will have noted the full formation.  Apologies again for my error.  Hope the missing bit of detail turns up.

• Friendly/supportive 1