APT-P Photographs

11 hours ago, Commoner said:

I have rechecked my original notes from 20/09/81 and the transcription I made later, and unfortunately I can't resolve the anomaly.  48106 is clearly recorded which must be incorrect as this was a DVT which wouldn't have been marshalled in the middle of the train's consist.  Like you I have now searched for other observations from the web along with photographs without success.  I wonder if you had thought about requesting for a list of stock from the OD on this and other other forums.  I am sure somebody out there will have noted the full formation.  Apologies again for my error.  Hope the missing bit of detail turns up.

DTS rather than DVT.

• RMweb Gold

Which trains were APT-P and which were APT-S?

There must have been some significant differences between the original P trains and those that briefly entered service as S trains.  Or did they just evolve from P to S? 

Was the livery the start of the Intercity that replaced B&G or was it different? - I seem to remember the APT-P was Red White Blue but that the service livery was Intercity grey/stone including black windscreen surrounds.  I'm trying to dredge my mind from Rainhill in 79 and the fateful winter of the early 80s when the failed to impress (through a combination of factors).

There were no S trains as such, just APT-E and APT-P. The closest thing to the S train was the class 91 and Mk4s. 

Hornby produced their APT with a rendition of grey which was somewhat on the blue side, and not accurate. It could be this you are thinking of. I am not quite sure if the grey on the full size APT-P was the same as intercity grey, others more knowledgeable may know. I don't think the livery on the APT-P was changed at all, other than the addition of black window surrounds and other minor variations.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2019 at 23:15, Mr_Tilt said:

By the time it got to Shildon the paintwork was pretty much scrap on both sides.

The guys at the Electric Railway Museum did quite a good job of stopping the rot once it got down there, and they re-primed the whole outer shell, but that was all as they ended up fighting officialdom just to try and save the museum, and sadly failed. :sad_mini:

But Brian REALLY sorted it out once it got to Crewe, and in a ridiculously short time too! :)

It's good that the whole Development Train is all in one place now. 

It was parked outside the main entrance to Shildon back then ....

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...