Jules' workbench - 2-axle ballast wagon upgrades

Hey all, I am new here at RMweb!

Been modelling for a while, but I wanted to get more social. I am in the process of building an L shaped layout in OO. However, progress is not great because wagon projets take over and I'm lazy!! :nono:

But I'll need to make use of my time-exams are coming!!

I am hoping to have a semi scratchbuild MHA "Coalfish" (a few may be aware) from a plasticard body and the chassis of a cheap (£9) HAA and the wagon will (hopefully) be different from the Hornby tooling. The Hornby model is the original body "Coalfish" (394001-394400) but I'm trying to make one from the later batch (394500-394999 and 396000-396165) with less ribs. I am waiting for the Evergreen strip to make them!!

Click here to see what I mean:

https://gingespotting.smugmug.com/Wagons/M-Tops-Code/MHA

or here

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/M-Tops-codes/MHA-Coalfish-wagons

Pics below :)

BTW, do any of you guys know how to remove the hopper body from the HAA without cutting the 4 lugs off at the bottom?

Cheers and good luck with your projects!

Jules

post-34346-0-21104300-1528470132.jpg

post-34346-0-29126400-1528470356.jpg

• Like 1

I've found that a bit of persuasion is all that's needed to get the HAA body off, I don't even remember there being a specific technique. Once or maybe twice it was enough of a fight that I shaved a little off the lug to make things easier.

• Like 1

Nice idea for a project...to remove the MHA body (which I assume is the same set up of 4 lugs), I use a pair of small pliers with the jaws open to push down on two lugs at once, whilst prizing the top off with a flat screwdriver. They are a pain to get off, but shaving some material off helps as Chris has mentioned, and using brute strength to pull the body off also works sometimes.

Thanks,

Jack.

Cheers Jack. I read about your O gauge HAA project, are you still progressing with it? Dapol are due to deliver an O gauge HAA soon according to Rail Express Modeller (buying it for 4 and a half years, still not a subscriber) and how are your other projects? I am getting on well with some other wagon projects, namely 2 ZBA Rudds (one ex Grampus, the other on a HTO chassis, both Parkside), and I am close to completing an OBA and 2 OCA's (Cambrian). For the ex Grampus, I am trying to model DB986446 in EWS condition after finding this:

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/Z-Tops-codes/ZBA-Rudd-opens/i-HG4d372/A

Can any of you guys help me with images and info about these "Rudds", info about them is scarce.

Cheers and good luck!

Jules

I apriciate the work you've done, Paul. Anyway, the "Rudd's" chassis has been built up and weight (Deluxe Materials Liquid Gravity) has been added under the floor. Only the grey has been painted, the yellow needs adding. Interesting one to weather though..

Hi Jules,

I can’t find any more photos of that wagon, however I found these two pages:

http://www.wellsgreen-tmd.co.uk/wagons.htm

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/oda%2Cwagon

The first is from James Makin, who’s on this forum, whilst the second has some interesting wagons for inspiration.

The 0 gauge wagon I started was actually an MHA, but they have the same underframe so I can understand the mix up! This has been shelved as I lost interest and built other things. I was the same with RE...I’ve got 8 years' worth, but I only started subscribing a few years ago...I’ve actually got 2 photos in this months issue.

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 1

Tests have got into my free time, so I coudn't post anything. Don't have to worry about school for 6 weeks :sungum:

Bought a Hornby YGH "Sealion" and a Cambrian ZCA "Sea Urchin" at the Perth show and not been getting up to much, apart from seeing how to fix a broken buffer of a EWS "Shed", it's been broken for 1 and a half years!! :nono: Was Olivia's 66111!

post-34346-0-45461100-1530039193_thumb.jpg

post-34346-0-97955800-1530039233_thumb.jpg

Some tangible progress on other projets, a mix of Cambrian and Parkside kits. First up, some Parkside Rudds:

post-34346-0-03875700-1530039442.jpg

And I've added air brake equipment using plastic rod and plastic card:

post-34346-0-63794400-1530039511_thumb.jpg

And the Rudd DB 986446:

(although it is now mostly complete assembly wise, waiting for a yellow band!)

post-34346-0-50427800-1530039817_thumb.jpg

And these too (Cambrian)

post-34346-0-12455700-1530039880_thumb.jpg

post-34346-0-75444500-1530039905_thumb.jpg

post-34346-0-41246300-1530039946_thumb.jpg

110516 (OBA) is almolst finished, needs some varnish, the OCA's are further behind. The EWS one will be 112199 and the "Dutch" one is to be 112144.

Jules

post-34346-0-80514300-1530039931_thumb.jpg

Edited by Departmental203
  • Like 5

Hi Jules,

Some nice work here, nice to see someone else paying attention to some wagons. An interesting variation to your rudds would be to model the Marcroft built version which had slightly different ends. I've done one of these and it's a simple conversion.

Cheers

Wayne

Using the methods you guys suggested to me I finally got the hopper body OFF...cheers for that guys! Little bit more progress on that MHA wagon (which will be in a more vibrant colour than faded maroon..), I've made the body slightly taller (overzealous sanding was the problem :nono:)  using 20 thou plastic strips and added plasticard to plug bits of the underframe.

post-34346-0-18918400-1530614494_thumb.jpg

post-34346-0-47554300-1530614528_thumb.jpg

An improvement I can recommend to do with the new Hornby HAA/MHA is to use an 0.55 mm diameter drill bit to open the 2 holes in the W irons. It is a small but noticable upgrade and improves the look. :yes: 

post-34346-0-88698900-1530614943_thumb.jpg

I got some of the holes slightly off position so this photo will hopefully help

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/H/HAA-merry-go-round-coal/i-nBfzdWV/A

The underframe had many things missing, including the brake levers!! I'm hoping to make replacements with brass.

And just to give you an idea, I've put a Hornby MHA next to it

post-34346-0-82893400-1530615489_thumb.jpg

Can anyone give me a link for the right buffers for the HAA, the Hornby ones are far too chunky :nono:

Cheers

Jules

• Like 1

Can anyone give me a link for the right buffers for the HAA, the Hornby ones are far too chunky :nono:

Nice work Jules, it's looking good! For buffers, I use 51L Models (same stable as Wizard Models) whitemetal OLEO buffers, with their 16" or 18" steel buffer heads. They're what I used on my MFA, which are much more refined than the Hornby offerings.

Thanks,

Jack.

Thanks for that Wayne and Jack, I am doing DB972761 and DB986446 at the moment. I was thinking to do 2 or 3 Marcroft versions by cutting off the bottom of the vertical rib and attaching some plastic strip to replace it and I will do DB972644 in faded Loadhaul livery. At the Perth show recently, I spoke to someone at the Scottish Modellers stand and he said that the Parkside "Rudds" are 2mm too narrow than the Hornby ones, so I'll probabaly use the Parkside kits for consistency...and to get my hands dirty!! I l looked at Lanarkshire Models and Supplies and found 16" OLEO pneumatic buffers (4 for £1.99), the 51L ones are out of stock at the moment!

Anyway cheers for the info!!!!

Jules

Hi Jules,

I went about it a slightly different way and removed the whole vertical rib then replaced with plastic strip. That seemed the best way to me rather than trying to blend in a small piece.

To be honest I've not heard about the Parkside Rudd being too narrow. If it is then all I can say is the Hornby one has over-thick sides so it's swings and roundabouts.

I'd still say the Parkside kit makes a better model.

Cheers

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I haven't updaded my workbench for a bit because the layout has taken over. But I had a bit of free time attending to the Class 66 with the broken buffer!! :this: I also removed and reffited the knuckle couplings to allow the buffers to spring with minimal clearence ;) because I thought I'd be using scale couplings. But due to the tight curve in the fiddle yard...back to tension locks again!! :nono: But for locos, I'll do what George Woodcock done and make a brass loop for the locos so I can fit full bufferbeam detail :good:

66 sitting on the fiddle yard board

post-34346-0-66480100-1531855267_thumb.jpg

End without the buffers. Maybe you can just see the remounted knuckle coupling

post-34346-0-19462900-1531855317_thumb.jpg

Sorry this might annoy you! :dontknow:  Also remounted the knuckle couplings

post-34346-0-67443300-1531855399_thumb.jpg

THE BUFFER! I broke the "tail" of the buffer so I reamed out the remmenants with a drill, cut a strip of brass and glued the two with 2 Ton epoxy. The strip will be my new "tail"

post-34346-0-07069700-1531855610_thumb.jpg

I hope this works...you'll find out!!!

Jules

Current day engineer's yard layout in OO scale :http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135638-torness-yard-current-day-engineers-yard-in-oo/

Edited by Departmental203
  • Like 2

For the HAA/MHA I found that 16" buffers look too big for those wagons after looking at many pictures, I feel that those buffers won't look right. I think 13" ones will look better and Accurascale do 13" OLEO buffers (sprung,plastic) in packs of 8 for just £2.95! Think I will give these a try.

If the sizes are wrong please tell me!!

Jules

Just a little update to you guys before I go on holiday to Japan for 3 weeks, "Rudd" DB986446 is now looking the part with most of the colours applied. The white elements (except for the blue/white engineers marking) was applied with a 0.7mm Posca pen. The EWS lettering is too chunky, but I'll probabaly keep it, since I'm lazy!! :secret: I'm not sure about how to make up the TOPS panels, but the problem with making custom decals is that inkjet printers can't print white, so I'll have to put a grey background for them, it may end up in a colour clash!! :this: The Rudd lettering will probabaly be done by transfer, it surprisingly doesn't look too shabby!!! Protype pic here

post-34346-0-98197200-1532277371_thumb.jpg

post-34346-0-44004200-1532277410_thumb.jpg

Added a missing pipe to a Grid, using the pipe supplied with the FNA nuclear flasks with a few spots of yellow acrylic, now that's one less thing to worry about!! :good:

post-34346-0-48953900-1532277685_thumb.jpg

Enjoy your modelling and hope you're enjoying the summer!! :locomotive: :senile:

Jules

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I posted, due to my Japanese holiday and school!! :this: Luckily I have a decent chunk of spare time before exams!! I restarted my MHA project after a trip to Milerhill Yard and inspiration from Jack's MXA project!

Pics:

post-34346-0-14964200-1537041646_thumb.jpg

post-34346-0-98734600-1537041722_thumb.jpg

Been pushing to get 112144 (Dutch liveried OCA, Cambrian) off the workbench by adding transfers to the other side. I still need the small data panel wagons carry about their wheels etc. Probabaly will make them myself!!

post-34346-0-11361600-1537041951_thumb.jpg

A very bad photo of Millerhill yard from the waste plant!! Not easy to photograph, especially with a bad camera!!!

post-34346-0-22407800-1537042073_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys and enjoy your modelling!

Jules

• Like 1

Looking great Jules! Many wagons types are possible to scratchbuild with plasticard like MXAs and MHAs...after your MHA you could try making an MXA; they’re not overly complicated and you’ll certainly be able to do one since you’ve done the MHA so well.

The OCA looks spot on too, it just needs a coat of grime! For transfers you could try Railtec....I know they do lots of wagon data panels so they may do the ones you’re after.

Keep at it!

Jack.

• 2 months later...

I know it's been a while since I've last posted, over October, my attention has switched to the layout.

However, with the darker months settling in, I decided to revive a project on the back burner : MK1 BSK 35469 (an ETS generator coach I believe)

Click here to get photos form Google of this coach (it's the one with the grilles on the former luggage compartment).

The coach, BTW, is a Hornby Railroad one that I got for £17 (It's actually worth it in my opinion!)

So far I've only attached replacement Bachmann Commonwealth bogies.

Pictures to follow.

Jules