Cheapest way to model grass?

What's the cheapest way to model a large area of grass? I can't use grass mats because of the terrain, but static grass will add up in cost very quickly.

Also here's a photo of part of my layout- a lot of this is grass. It's still a bit of a mess but I'm quite proud of it! :)

IMG_20180610_152849349.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I also suggest hanging basket liner.

It worked fairly well for my Tetbury layout. I think I spent £10 for a bulk purchase of liner plus £10 for a set of clippers to trim it back. I then used static grass near the running lines. That gave me enough to cover a 15ft x 3ft space.

post-7653-0-44101000-1528643128_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

I would reiterate the above suggestions, probably the cheapest option and can be trimmed back to suit your needs. Make up other smaller areas by adding static grass too.

G

• RMweb Gold

Have to agree re hanging basket liner - see Abbotswood videos in signature below, has always attracted very positive comments.

You can always add other textures/colours as required

Phil

Faux fur ie Teddy Bear fur but be aware that Fuax Fur and Fur Fabric are quite different things. Faux fur is about 4 or 5 times the price of fur fabric but it's what you want. There's colour called Wolf that is very popular for modelling grass.

• RMweb Gold

All good suggestions above - depending on the length of grass you are seeking to model.

On those embankments, you will want something quite long and my vote would be for carpet underlay. A local carpetlaying contractor will have loads of offcuts. I got mine from a skip outside a pub that was having new carpets.

Love that picture of Tetbury layout. The grass is more brown than green - as long grass should be.

Love that picture of Tetbury layout. The grass is more brown than green - as long grass should be.

I don't think it's a simple as that. What you'll often see is burnt long grass amongst greener grass. Of course if you are modelling high summer then the parched look is most appropriate. At that time of year the grass isn't really what I'll call brown it's more a pale bleached out light tan. As always I'd recommend photographic reference. If you can buy Gordon Gravet's book on modelling grass.

Edited by Anglian

I have yet used it on the layout, but I managed to find some hanging basket liner with a nice mix of green and brown fibres.  Obvious now is the time to source it as the garden centres will have plenty of options.  You may also find it on the roll, which will suit your large area to cover.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106602-family-8x4-oo-layout-trains-running-again/?p=2517638

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106602-family-8x4-oo-layout-trains-running-again/?p=2518483

• RMweb Gold

Another vote here for hanging basket liner, I bought a 4 metre roll when I started Bakewell in 2012, and I've still got some left.

You can add static grass sparingly to change textures and colours:

post-17302-0-94329900-1528751667.jpg

Al.

• Like 3

Now £25 :/

There is a video on how to make your own version which I'm tempted but not got started as yet.

• RMweb Gold

Now £25 :/

There is a video on how to make your own version which I'm tempted but not got started as yet.

Luke Towan has a video making his own which I followed using the Neg Ion Gen from Australia. Works exceptionally well!!

The above is a new improved video, now in one part. 

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1