Terrier Deja Vu

Ressaldar

While relaxing with a glass of amber nectar from North of the Border last Saturday evening after the journey back from Doncaster, I was browsing eBay and was more than pleasantly surprised when I saw a photo of Terrier finished in exactly the same way as I had done over ten years ago on a SanCheng model - plain black livery with sunshine lettering and heavily weathered as 32644. I had to look very hard to convince myself that it was not the same model and checked with photos that I had taken prior to selling it. The only noticeable difference was the crankpins not being the SanCheng type. 

I bought it and it was delivered on Tuesday in time for me to give it a good run at the Club in the evening. A sound decoder was ordered from Digitrains on Wednesday which was delivered on Thursday morning, fitted after lunch followed by a good run in the evening.

I had emailed the seller on Wednesday morning to let him know that it had arrived safely and explained the coincidence with the SanCheng model. In his reply he explained that when he bought the Dapol model he wanted to do 32644 and the only colour photos that he could find were of my model on RMweb, it is nice to know that pictures that you post are looked at and worthy of being used for reference purposes.

post-6951-0-73870900-1528732607.jpg

SanCheng 2008

post-6951-0-75477700-1528732616.jpg

Dapol 2018

regards

Mike

• Like 4

Guest Isambarduk

The only noticeable difference was the crankpins not being the SanCheng type.

Mike, the real 'give-away' for me is that dreadful drawhook (which looks like no drawhook on any mainline locomotive that I have ever seen) that appears on all the models from the San Cheng Crafts factory.  Randolph Chang did know about them, because it had been pointed out to him many times, but he said that his casters had 'helpfully' cast tens of thousands of them when they had a brief slack period.  Ho-hum.   David

Mike, the real 'give-away' for me is that dreadful drawhook (which looks like no drawhook on any mainline locomotive that I have ever seen) that appears on all the models from the San Cheng Crafts factory.  Randolph Chang did know about them, because it had been pointed out to him many times, but he said that his casters had 'helpfully' cast tens of thousands of them when they had a brief slack period.  Ho-hum.   David

Hi David,

yes. I agree, but it is not quite as obvious as the crankpins.

regards

Mike

Guest Isambarduk

yes. I agree, but it is not quite as obvious as the crankpins. Mike

Well, I suppose so but both are easily changed or modified.

DrawhooksB-A-s.jpg

"On the left is the original FineScaleBrass draw hook, which I find unacceptable, and to the right is the replacement with the two links in place of the inner shackle. I made these quite simply from little ‘doughnuts’ (drilled and parted-off, but could have been sliced from tube) that were silver-soldered to a short length of 0.8mm diameter wire; I reused the remainder of the original screw coupling." (From: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/LMS_8F.htm)

LiveSteamInjectorFitted.jpg

The image above was actually taken to illustrate the (scratch-built) injectors and vacuum line moisture trap added to the fireman's side of a FineScaleBrass 8F but you may also see how I modified the crankpin with a bit of relief and two flats, suitable for a 10BA spanner.

David