Shellac is often under rated. Medium, sealer, binding agent and highlighter all in one.

Diluted it can make a very fast means of painting with pigments.

Too much build and a quick wipe with 320/400 grit will fix it.

Make a horlicks and meths will remove it.

Plus if you want to get really fancy dyes can be used to tone the mix.

Hello EKR,

I didn't know about using it for painting though it does make sense.

I've used it as a primer on bare metal after removing rust spots from a radiator, it works fine.

Cheers

I've sealed my baseboard with mdf sealer, is that similar to shellac, also where can you get it? I did a google search and got loads of nail stuff!

Steve.

Yes, my local DIY shop only sells ‘walnut crystals’ but I don’t think they do the same thing!

Hey Jim, do you think shellac would work on dry spaghetti? I know it sounds strange but you could use it for metal fence poles or railings maybe.

I've sealed my baseboard with mdf sealer, is that similar to shellac, also where can you get it? I did a google search and got loads of nail stuff!

Steve.

It is also known as button polish, and Knotting Solution is basically shellac.

You can get it from any decent art suppliers, either as a liquid or flakes.

The flakes work out cheaper, and you just dissolve them in Meths.

I've also heard that Screwfix does it, but I can't confirm that.

Hallo SBF,

I've never heard of MDF sealer, sadly I can't answer your question, but please see below.

Hello TF,

I'm sure it would soak into Spaghetti but I think it would increase its brittleness, though you could try it.

Hello JCM,

Thanks for the ideas good of you, I've always found art suppliers to sell very small quatities of stuff at inflated prices. 

I bought mine in Coventry in about 1981 and still have lots left, the bloke gave me a funny look when I asked for a couple of pounds (it was really cheap) when he returned with a huge bag I could see why.

Here's a link to an Ebay search for the flakes: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=shellac+flakes&_sacat=0 just dissolve in Meths and shaked it up regularly for 24 hours if you think it too thin add some more flakes.

I keep a bottle with a small amount Meths in to clean my brushes and that becomes the dissolver for the next batch, I'm a tight old geezer.

I bought the dissolved Shellac container on the left from the Co-op and the Meths is in a photo chemical bottle.

post-30200-0-43908500-1532458911.jpg

Cheers

"Walnut crystals"

I imagine thats another term for vandyke crystals which is a water dye made from the green husks of walnuts.

Remember staining your hands as a child :)

This is a very versatile brown stain that can shade from almost black to the lightest tan.

Normally you just add varying amounts of water, but the trick is to heat in an old tin until all the water evaporates and you are left with a hard pan. Just moisten and the full range of colour is at your brush tip.

Great for subtle shading.

....and a quick flash over with shellac will seal it....

Hi All,

It has been a month since I collected Yff from Jim (I can't believe that it's been that long), and I thought that I had better give you all an update.

I've moved to Germany for work and I'm still getting settled in. All of my modelling supplies, tools, and of course Yff are currently sat in the UK, due to be brought over next weekend.

Before I left, I made some progress with the locomotive, and converted some of the wagons to three link couplings, however I didn't have the opportunity to fully document my progress yet. On the locomotive front, I wish to fully test my (basic) solution to the pickup problem before explaining it to others, as I'm sure you can all understand. 

Once I have brought Yff over, I will start a new thread, showing my current progress and explaining my plans for the layout. Until then, I'm collecting drawings for stock and images of buildings, that I can scale correctly for making card models.

Thank you for reading

Joseph 

• Like 1

Good luck and look forward to seeing the next stage of the model, Joseph!

Marlyn