TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

• RMweb Premium

I'm in agreement with Stephen @Compound2632 - a Diagram 1553 would be perfect.

Incidentally, I'm surprised (amazed!) by how widespread the SER's use of Mansell wheels was - I had no idea until my copy of SR Wagons Vol.3 arrived. The description of the wheels' livery is intriguing, too! What red do you use for your SER wagons, by the way?

Glad you managed to sort out your printer, too - I'm a bit of a technophobe, so hat's off, Tom!

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

But then I haven't actually bought any of your stuff though that's a situation I would like to rectify.

Tom's SER Ballast Wagons (SR Diagram 1741) are splendid. Highly recommended!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'd say the SR diagram 1553 outside framed goods brake vans just cry out for 3D printing. Built throughout the last two decades of the 19th century and in traffic well into the grouping period. 

I shall look that up!

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

20 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Incidentally, I'm surprised (amazed!) by how widespread the SER's use of Mansell wheels was - I had no idea until my copy of SR Wagons Vol.3 arrived. The description of the wheels' livery is intriguing, too! What red do you use for your SER wagons, by the way?

Most things in that book fit the 12 or 14mm versions available from Alan Gibson. But I have developed a method of making wheel centres in any size - currently only Manning Wardle, but I could do Mansell too for the more unusual sizes. 

The red is just red oxide primer, I can't remember what brand. It's one of those things where you could spend years trying to work out the exact shade, so I picked something I know is in the ballpark and I'm happy with that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Tom's SER Ballast Wagons (SR Diagram 1741) are splendid. Highly recommended!

Hard to justify. The steel-framed Brighton Open A and the SER coal wagon are the ones tempting me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

The red is just red oxide primer, I can't remember what brand. It's one of those things where you could spend years trying to work out the exact shade, so I picked something I know is in the ballpark and I'm happy with that.

Thanks, Tom - Volume 3 quotes three different shades from contemporary reports, so I wondered what you'd plumped for :)

Tom I am interested in the latest wagon when you are ready and no rush. 

Pm me when you are ready.

Very interested in the SER brake van as long as it has not been done before? Put me down for 2 of these...

Martin M

• Like 3

I should probably start a new thread relating to my products and keep this for my own modelling! In the meantime, feel free to post here still :)

I think I will do a d1553 as suggested by some of the knowledgeable folk on here, they're so useful.

If any wants a more visual description of some of the printing issues I've been having, I made a video going through some of the errors I've got (and looking at my museum of failure!). I may be fixed now, I've had a few LBSC Open As and a Manning Wardle B off it today, and another SER d1328 printing now, so looking positive!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Work continues on the Ford Railbus, need to find somewhere to add a load of weight before it'll run though.

IMG_20200315_222556.jpg.2458f4621c4504bbf04da81d3f9cdc2a.jpg

In other news, the later Manning Wardle H is now available from Hardy's, earlier versions on the way.

IMG_4272.jpg.34d36590d943fde3c5b2e3608ba5538f.jpg.112ac0fe0a194218edfe937d9dd77e27.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Wagon Kits!

I now have all three designs so far available for order, so if you want something to occupy you while cooped up inside, I may be able to help! I hope folks like them, a lot of effort has gone into them and they're forming a large part of the stock for my own layout. SER ballast wagons, SER coal/goods and LBSC Open As as described here: https://ts3dmodels.blogspot.com/p/wagons.html 

Contact details are also on that website.

image.png.cb1191b90832f788891d37c126329728.png

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

I have let the editor of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway Society know about your SER wagons for the June newsletter. He will contact you before publication. I was told about your models by one of our members. I make some mouldings for brake vans and box vans using the rubber moulds and resin method. Chris Cox has had my patterns for Buffers, Springs and axleboxes and has cast these in whitemetal.

Regards

John Arkell

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, John Arkell said:

I have let the editor of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway Society know about your SER wagons for the June newsletter. He will contact you before publication. I was told about your models by one of our members. I make some mouldings for brake vans and box vans using the rubber moulds and resin method. Chris Cox has had my patterns for Buffers, Springs and axleboxes and has cast these in whitemetal.

Regards

John Arkell

Many thanks for that John, looking forward to hearing from him! 

I've realised I've been neglecting this thread recently, most of my posting has been over on the lockdown blog (I wasn't expecting it to go on this long!). So here's a quick summary!

Ruston prototype (and Heinz version)

image.png.6c0192191e6408d027d6c2b7783cdf07.png

Weathered Sentinel

image.png.3cc654b93ca0ac6345ae148a9ef56a20.png

Trialling potential scratchbuilder/basher packs made of bits of my loco kits
image.png.2e2be234ac8a21e702c277008e11c671.png

A measuring thingy

image.png.a05a5d7655562d696c90bba6f96d9ca2.png

Semi-freelance Planet 30hp

image.png.46984f0af097660349e444531a5513a0.png

Controller design

image.png.d24ab52b9069cbb99af22839d2bccec0.png

And other things too (NER Class H, AEC shunter, weathering wagons etc.)

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Apologies things have been a bit slow on here lately, I started that blog thing assuming we'd be inside for no more than a month...

Anyway, here's one of the many things currently on the workbench, the Manning Wardle C. If you thought the Class H was small, you've got another think coming!

IMG_20200705_200518.jpg.133050a81e4d42e7b983218e4ed5adda.jpg

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

3 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

Apologies things have been a bit slow on here lately, I started that blog thing assuming we'd be inside for no more than a month...

Anyway, here's one of the many things currently on the workbench, the Manning Wardle C. If you thought the Class H was small, you've got another think coming!

IMG_20200705_200518.jpg.133050a81e4d42e7b983218e4ed5adda.jpg

Hi Tom,

Good to see you back and busy !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got hold of some SECR Birdcages (thanks to @Skinnylinny), which gave me an excuse to get the F Class out again. I need to finish this loco off at some point, it's been in this state for over a year now, and needs a new tender as the frames have gone a bit wonky. And lining, which I'm putting off...

JPEG_20200713_104842.jpg.4b3d3addd91e1fdb25e82f509bbb8778.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Interesting you should mention the tender frames have gone wonky as similar has happened to my N gauge one you printed for me which is of similar age. Everything else is fine but the frames have recently bowed out in the middle. I wonder if it is because they lack support or something to do with the resin used?

2 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

I wonder if it is because they lack support or something to do with the resin used?

Quite possibly the resin, though mine was loose even when I built it as I got the dimensions slightly wrong. These are both old enough to be 3dHubs prints, before I was printing stuff myself, and I never had the best luck with their services. 

There's a trick I'll try involving immersing the warped parts in hot water, that softens it up enough to bend it back into shape. I'll give this a go and see what happens

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

There's a trick I'll try involving immersing the warped parts in hot water, that softens it up enough to bend it back into shape. I'll give this a go and see what happens

I've considered this but as the tender if fully lined and coaled not sure it's worth the risk. As it is I know it's bowed outwards but it isn't really noticeable unless you are looking at it from below so chances are no one else will see as long as it's finished bowing :)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

........ As it is I know it's bowed outwards but it isn't really noticeable unless you are looking at it from below so chances are no one else will see as long as it's finished bowing :)

Well, Gareth, we'll not tell anyone if you don't!!  :jester:

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gareth Collier said:

I've considered this but as the tender if fully lined and coaled not sure it's worth the risk. As it is I know it's bowed outwards but it isn't really noticeable unless you are looking at it from below so chances are no one else will see as long as it's finished bowing :)

Is it possible or worth glueing in a cross brace?