TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

This was in the era when I was just starting out, my models are designed to be much more solid these days with extra reinforcement all over the place. Probably not worth adding a cross-brace in this instance as it'd have to fit round the Terrier chassis. Maybe I should try a similar propulsion method in OO!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

I thought this looked small.  Have you had any trouble with the Terrier?  Mine up and died a couple of years ago.

Sorry, not quite sure which version you mean!

Mine's in OO and the loco is motorised, Gareth's is in N and has a Terrier mechanism under the tender instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Probably not worth adding a cross-brace in this instance as it'd have to fit round the Terrier chassis. Maybe I should try a similar propulsion method in OO!

The Dapol N gauge terrier has the advantage that all wheels are gear-driven. You might have trouble trying to use the 00 terrier chassis, as it is only gear-driven to one axle, which is... not great for haulage.

• Informative/Useful 1

Glad to see that you are persevering with the F class and hope that you can strengthen the tender to prevent the deformation. Once you have it sorted, I may be able to order one.

I think that loco drive would be preferable over tender drive. The latter can cause a number of problems.

All the best

Ray

• 1 month later...

I've been severely lacking in modelling mojo for the last month or so, and during the brief interludes when I haven't, I've been doing mainly layout work, so not much has progressed on the bench.

However, we do have another loco in progress. Just a personal project, this one, but it's a loco I've been eyeing up for some time. If you know it, please feel free to comment on anything I've missed (or done wrong)!

image.png.3bc58d45d475dd357722a0e490b58228.png

• Like 6

I know the feeling. I was doing quite a lot when the lockdown started, but that has whittled down to virtually nothing at the moment. Our club is still closed with all the layouts locked up in it and we have no idea when we might be able to return.

Now could that be the S Class ?

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

Lockdown started well for me, I was doing quite a lot of modelling, but have been working 50+ hour weeks the last couple of months which has rather taken its toll.

Still, I managed to paint most of a Manning Wardle last night, so maybe I'm getting back to it!

And yes, that is the S Class. It should (just) fit in my printer. I'm doing the same thing the SECR did and repurposing a C Class to make it!

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Lockdown started well for me, I was doing quite a lot of modelling, but have been working 50+ hour weeks the last couple of months which has rather taken its toll.

Still, I managed to paint most of a Manning Wardle last night, so maybe I'm getting back to it!

And yes, that is the S Class. It should (just) fit in my printer. I'm doing the same thing the SECR did and repurposing a C Class to make it!

I have a SEF kit for the S, so will not subscribe to that, but am still interested in the F class if that progresses. Would also like a Q class or two if you were to consider them.

I bought a book a couple of weeks ago at the Ian Allan shop, This might be of interest: 

Rails Across the Harbour - Folkestone and its branch line. By John Hendy. Published by Invicta Maritime. £12.95.

A nice little softback with lots of pictures including quite a few R and R1 shots which might be of interest and use to you. Also one of the pictures shows an engineers train on the swing bridge which includes at least six ballast wagons of the SER dumb buffered variety, Unfortunately, the picture is taken from an angle above, and the bottom of the picture cuts off just above the buffer, but you can see the metal stays and read some of the lettering/numbering on the nearest wagon.

Hope that is of interest.

All the best

Ray

P.S. Absolutely no urgency, but did you get my email about the working model bus steering units ?

3 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

I have a SEF kit for the S, so will not subscribe to that, but am still interested in the F class if that progresses. Would also like a Q class or two if you were to consider them.

I bought a book a couple of weeks ago at the Ian Allan shop, This might be of interest: 

Rails Across the Harbour - Folkestone and its branch line. By John Hendy. Published by Invicta Maritime. £12.95.

A nice little softback with lots of pictures including quite a few R and R1 shots which might be of interest and use to you. Also one of the pictures shows an engineers train on the swing bridge which includes at least six ballast wagons of the SER dumb buffered variety, Unfortunately, the picture is taken from an angle above, and the bottom of the picture cuts off just above the buffer, but you can see the metal stays and read some of the lettering/numbering on the nearest wagon.

Hope that is of interest.

All the best

Ray

P.S. Absolutely no urgency, but did you get my email about the working model bus steering units ?

I'll have to see if I can find a copy of that book - I've got "Folkestone's Railways" and several other local ones, but not heard of that one before.

The S Class is just a personal project, no plans to sell it at the moment, though I suppose I could - still, not much point if no-one wants them! I made it as I'm not confident with the chassis building on the SE Finecast one, and it's cheaper for me to make a body than to buy the body kit. The Q Class is one I'd still like to do, but I've got plenty of other projects to finish before I start looking at new models. 

I must have got your email, as it rings a bell, but I can't find it now!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having designed several locos for a Peckett W4 chassis, I haven't actually owned one... until now! Chassis duly repainted, I was about to flog the body on eBay, but couldn't quite bring myself to. I didn't want a standard Peckett on my layout, as everyone will have an identical one, so I couldn't justify keeping it. The eureka moment was finding some pictures of other Pecketts, including the X Class and the B1, which have a very distinctive cab side shape, so the obvious solution was to apply this to my W4! Commence plasticard cutting...

Still a work in progress, as it needs buffers (I'm making some bigger ones for it), cab steps, handrails, name and numberplates, weathering and a couple of other details.

image.png.ee01f7d525c808ec7eb586803728a10a.png

image.png.70e4dc049499549ef3f003364e1f2076.png

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...

Away from the proper workbench this week, but not the digital one...

Here's a flight 'o fancy. Based on the Burrows and Kerr Stuart Well Tanks, but with a larger cab to hide the fact that I'm using a Dapol Pug chassis (it's the only one I can think of that allows such a small boiler to be used). I'm not 100% convinced that it looks like something that really would have existed, but might be a fun quick build project. Still unsure whether I'll end up adding it to the fleet.

image.png.1f1e9460b5ea3811f0a1394bf02d0cf7.png

• Like 6

3 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I'm not certain how large, if any, layout you have at this point.    Have you considered tender loco bodies?   Maybe to be fitted to a Hornby Railroad, or one of Oxford Rails' options?

I'm in the process of dismantling the old layout and building a new one, however it is very small (living in a rented flat means not much space and requires portability).

The only tender locos I've done so far are the SECR F/F1/B1 and O Classes. The O uses an Oxford Dean Goods chassis. But mainly it's because small locos generally mean less material and cheaper chassis, otherwise I'd be bankrupting myself with the number of locos I build! Plus I enjoy the challenge of making everything fit in such a small space.

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tom.

What's the availability situation on the F/F1/B1 and O classes, have they progressed ?

An O class was used on the pre-inspection of the line before the Hawkhurst Branch was opened with Col. Stephens and friends sitting on the front buffer beam with their feet on a board tied to the buffers with a rope !  There are also a few other pictures of them on the line.

I am still tinkering with the working bus ideas and waiting for some more bits to arrive. I found another supplier in this country who deals with Faller, SOL Expert and KKPMO parts, so I can order items at perhaps slightly cheaper prices and do not have to worry about foreign exchange and excess postage charges. Hopefully, should have some steering units which will suit 8ft wide buses.

All the best

Ray

• Like 2

Well, I've built an F but I don't really want to add printing and distributing them to my stress levels, so I'm not doing much manufacturing myself at the moment. @Skinnylinny is test building the O Class for me at the moment, so I'll have to persuade them into getting on with it! The O Class I could manufacture more easily as it's for an RTR chassis, not a custom one like the F. I've just printed a new R Class shell too, with a few modifications so hopefully that should be ready soon as well.

• Like 1

Hi Tom.

I have Branchlines 0 and 01 kits put by, but could contemplate another 0 especially if it were a quick build on a proprietary chassis. It could also be painted in either simplified green or battleship grey which would eliminate the stress of trying to do it in full Wainwright, although I would probably do that later with a kit and using South East Finecast Wainwright transfers.

Again, I have two SEF kits put by for R class locos, but would consider another one if it would be a quick build. Which chassis have you designed it for ? I was going to use two Branchlines accurate  chassis for the kit ones and the generic chassis that they come with for two re-worked plastic bodied R1s which I have been working on. (Must get them finished).

I also have a  Wills Finecast body / SEF chassis H class 90% built which i need to finish. That can go into simplified green or grey as well.

All the best

Ray

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Again, I have two SEF kits put by for R class locos, but would consider another one if it would be a quick build. Which chassis have you designed it for ?

The Oxford Dean Goods. It's not very far out at all, and is fairly reliably on sale every now and then for £60-70. I'm hoping to get on the build when I'm back from holiday in a week or so, so will put some pics up then. It's not going to be perfectly accurate, but should be close.

• Like 1

Feeling a bit sorry for the Borrows Well Tank, all on its own, so I made it some friends, also for the Dapol/Hornby Pug chassis. These sort of semi-freelance projects are great for winding down and relaxing (I've been on holiday this week) as I don't have to worry about fine-tuning every dimension, and models can be done much quicker.

We have a Hunslet (based on 1684, currently derelict at the Middleton Railway), modified with an enclosed cab to hide the Pug motor. I didn't fancy replicating the Walschearts gear!

image.png.533868603b120e96b656e6730d845cbe.png

image.png.87f5f4669295be7c1f2a701ee159f5e3.png

And finally an Avonside, based on the Bourne Valley Tramway loco 'Mars'. This one should actually be reasonable accurate - working from photos, but with some known dimensions and the full cab and pug-like wheels also existed in reality, so even the chassis is a reasonably good match. The bits I couldn't make out on photos (buffers, cab details, valves etc.) have been borrowed from other Avonsides of the same era - thanks to @Corbs with some of the research there.

image.png.c36b0db5aad0668a905401c6f308c000.png

image.png.5d0ca690fede22df5390450a53af9bdb.png

Edited by TurboSnail
adding prototype pics
  • Like 9

Another job done while I was borrowing the parents' garage last week - making a new home for some locos, so they're not just sat in the cupboard, forgotten about and gathering dust. 

£5 worth of wood, £5 worth of perspex and a bit of woodstain et voila! - a simple, quick to build display case. I could have done with a proper chop saw to get all the edges nice and square, but for hand tools I think it's ok.

IMG_20200930_220918.jpg.101214e1cab7cd4205b602c762a50cea.jpg

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 12

Hi Tom,

I have an Oxford Alleged Dean Goods ready and waiting for an O1 body. 

I have come close to buying the resin body and tender kit. That is designed for another chassis and I'm guessing there might have been compromises in the splasher spacing as a result.

I have a kit-built O, so the slot I want to fill is the O1 

Is there any prospect of a 3D O1 body with the Oxford chassis in mind?

• Like 1