TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

41 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I found it and have photographed the relevant drawing. You need flange and and end plate with a circular row of rivets around the edge and four stays, two either side of the regulator. Then a smaller circular row of smaller rivets that hold the flue in. I don;t know for a fact but I suspect the firehole doors may have looked more like the set up on a Lancashire boiler than the usual locomotive boiler doors that you have given it.

Thanks for that, I'll have a go at revising the backhead in that case. Not sure what to do in the way of gauges etc. either! Nor do I have a reference for what an L&Y firehole should look like, so I'll have to do a spot of Googling (I'm very short on proper reference material, particularly when it comes to railways away from the South East!).

Still a few other bits missing, such as the weatherboard and various pipework, but I'm leaving those off as they'll be better done in wire or sheet (plastic, or possibly brass if I can find where I've put it).

Another area I've had to improvise on is the smokebox door, I think it's more likely to be this type than the normal round convex type, as the drawing seems to show the handle below the boiler centreline, with handrail above.

image.png.db75542c66315430c074b19d5136bf9f.png

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, NeilHB said:

I believe what Dave was referring to is a Lancashire boiler, commonly used in mills etc., rather than one from a L&Y locomotive:

Ah... that would make a certain amount of sense, thanks! I'll put that one down to being young(ish) and ignorant...

So it looks like I need the circular arrangement Dave posted earlier, with the smaller circle slightly below the centreline containing the side-hinged door. As it's not on the drawing from Chronicles, I suspect I don't need the bottom ash pit door, probably located elsewhere on the loco. Looking at another diagram (below, from https://maintenanceskill.com/how-fire-tube-lancashire-boiler-works/), it looks like I would need a single water level gauge, a pressure gauge and a water feed check valve.

image.png.f606f84ef61154d31e61ff0092fc4b87.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TurboSnail said:

Thanks for that, I'll have a go at revising the backhead in that case. Not sure what to do in the way of gauges etc. either! Nor do I have a reference for what an L&Y firehole should look like, so I'll have to do a spot of Googling (I'm very short on proper reference material, particularly when it comes to railways away from the South East!).

Still a few other bits missing, such as the weatherboard and various pipework, but I'm leaving those off as they'll be better done in wire or sheet (plastic, or possibly brass if I can find where I've put it).

Another area I've had to improvise on is the smokebox door, I think it's more likely to be this type than the normal round convex type, as the drawing seems to show the handle below the boiler centreline, with handrail above.

image.png.db75542c66315430c074b19d5136bf9f.png

I like that and the smokebox door suits it.

• Thanks 1

I've had another go at the controls - doesn't look that detailed in close-up, but at 4mm scale it'll look fine. The feed valve and pressure gauge I'll make separately as I can make a better job of them that way. 3D printing can be good, but some things are better made the old-fashioned ways!

image.png.a9f9aed9d487c3c50d92cc2a5d32fafa.png

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ruston said:

I don;t know for a fact but I suspect the firehole doors may have looked more like the set up on a Lancashire boiler than the usual locomotive boiler doors that you have given it.

Like this?

ZTtyYj7.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Annie said:

Like this?

ZTtyYj7.jpg

Yes. The reason for thinking it may have been like that is that it has a single flue (actually, two in this case) and has a grate and firebars without a firebox, just as the Boulton boiler had.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Plenty of modelling going on in the no-man's land between Christmas and going back to work in Jan. Just in case anyone thought I was neglecting the SECR fleet, here's a look at how the ongoing projects stand.

(I've just realised there's also a half-repainted C Class around somewhere too)

IMG_20210102_140544.jpg.19bce6fde3e50fec8e155106c98160b0.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Progress has been made on Boulton's contractor loco, I've been experimenting with a simple compensated chassis and it seems to work well. I'll swap out the chunky conrods for something finer in time, once I've done an order for more brass strip and tube, these are just to get it up and running.

IMG_20210108_205750.jpg.17b0a9d3189f14f28ca0b8981d5baf7e.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 02/01/2021 at 15:07, Compound2632 said:

Ah yes, the SER brake. Still interested!

Similar to the one that appears in this horribly enlarged bit of an Aerofilms photo of Mitcham PW sidings in 1947, except that that has diagonal bracing on the doors (later addition?).  The other brake van looks to be ex L&SWR.

mitcham-pw-1947.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

Similar to the one that appears in this horribly enlarged bit of an Aerofilms photo of Mitcham PW sidings in 1947, except that that has diagonal bracing on the doors (later addition?). 

Yes. Southern Wagons Vol. 3, Plate 151, caption "The diagonal door bracing was a common addition from about 1915 onwards."

I'm c. 1902 so want none of that!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/01/2021 at 14:18, TurboSnail said:

Plenty of modelling going on in the no-man's land between Christmas and going back to work in Jan. Just in case anyone thought I was neglecting the SECR fleet, here's a look at how the ongoing projects stand.

(I've just realised there's also a half-repainted C Class around somewhere too)

IMG_20210102_140544.jpg.19bce6fde3e50fec8e155106c98160b0.jpg

Is that a LCDR Sondes I spy? Any plans for making that available in the future? 

Is the chassis from a commercial RTR or scratchbuilt?

10 minutes ago, SVS said:

Is that a LCDR Sondes I spy? Any plans for making that available in the future? 

Is the chassis from a commercial RTR or scratchbuilt?

It is indeed a (Second) Sondes. Not sure about selling it, it's more of a collection of bits than a coherent kit... I don't know! I need to finish this one first and see how it goes really. It's slow progress while I try and work out how I'm going to do the SECR lining on it.

The chassis is designed as a kit and seems to have gone together ok, but it's always easier to put something together when you've designed it and know how it's supposed to work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I also see an electric hand lamp conversion; Any more details on that? I've got a knackered SR (LBSCR Pattern) one that I'm thinking of converting. It's probably beyond repairing to oil use as my repairs wouldn't be able to withstand much heat and at any rate I have LSWR, LT and BR (SR Pattern) ones for actually using properly.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

I also see an electric hand lamp conversion; Any more details on that? I've got a knackered SR (LBSCR Pattern) one that I'm thinking of converting. It's probably beyond repairing to oil use as my repairs wouldn't be able to withstand much heat and at any rate I have LSWR, LT and BR (SR Pattern) ones for actually using properly.

It's a BR standard one - the only reason I could afford it was that all the oil-burning equipment was missing, and the glass was cracked. It was also completely rusty everywhere, so it got a serious attacking with a wire brush and various cleaning products, then a new coat of paint. I was aiming for it to look old, but well looked after, no idea if I've achieved that!

The electric conversion was interesting... my original plan was to run a mains lead in at the back to a 12V converter to power either 2x halogen bulbs or 1x 'fire-effect' bulb depending which way the switch was pushed. It would also have a 3-cell R/C battery inside so it could be used on the go. However, the fire-effect bulb I had was utter rubbish, so I ditched that and found a better one that was mains powered. Since I had no real need for it to be portable, I also ditched the halogen bulbs and just wired the new bulb to the mains switch. Was pretty easy to make, just drilling a couple of holes and a few solder joints. The fire effect still looks a bit naff, to be honest, but is fun to have on - I don't mind though as it didn't cost me much to make! If anyone out there knows a decent-looking fire-effect bulb, then do let me know! If you wanted a warm white or a yellow that would be easy enough to do and probably look better - the bulb in this is a standard B22, so I might swap it out for one of those later on.

If you want a parts list, let me know and I can dig it out after work.

IMG_20210122_130828.jpg.a72eb857f9f0eb7f64b31b917079fd75.jpg

(I've just noticed the lens retainer needs some attention!)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Schooner said:

TS, would you mind giving us a quick reminder which of your lovely designs will fit the Hornby W4 chassis? 

Certainly! If you take a look through this page https://hardyshobbies.co.uk/product-category/locomotive-body-kits/ (actually, there are 3 pages now!), you'll find three variants of Manning Wardle Class H and two variants of Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0st - Andy has also drawn up a Bagnall so that's there too. I've got another one on the go at the moment (but I can't tell you what it is yet!) and a few more in the to-do pile as well. The W4 chassis is one of my favourites, it runs really well and isn't too unreasonably priced.

• Like 2

The Boulton's loco is finished! Though I think I'm going to sell it and make another with a few tweaks to the CAD model to make it slightly easier to assemble and to make it as a modified loco purchased from the contractors after the building of the EKLR extension to Guilford Colliery. So I think the mk2 might gain a rudimentary cab of some kind and a few other tweaks, possibly block buffers? I'll have a think on that.

image.png.2b59cbe7f03d9541163d5887921aacb6.png

image.png.791eab7b7f764878191324e4e8201190.png

image.png.11cace0930a32d0e0fd79b61d9343f16.png

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4