TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

18 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

I agree on the colour - unfortunately, I can't remember what it was, hence the variation! I think it's either Humbrol 32, or a VW Grey from Halfords, but I've run out of the latter and my tin of the former has solidified...

Fortunately, a bit of variation is prototypical, I hope!

Try Precision P130 BR Roof Grey (Maroon coaches only), which is my preferred colour. Intended for Mk1 coaches.

All the best

Ray

• Informative/Useful 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've been putting this project off for so long, finally decided that it's never going to be perfect, so I'm just going to get it done. That involved chopping off the top sections of the solebars entirely, as the axleboxes were too close together, and superglueing the whole thing together with the solebars further apart. Hopefully it holds!

I've got a new roof on print at the moment as I can't find the old one, and I'm just going to live with the dodgy printing (lot of lines and warp on this one). Maybe some heavy weathering will disguise it.

Note also the broken footboard - I'll have to try and disguise that with some kind of "in-service repair".

image.png.e404df41dd70567f9d2387780d59c494.png

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

And if anyone's interested, I'm selling off a couple of locos to fund new acquisitions - the Barclay Fireless and AEC Diesel are on eBay now:

AEC: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294202695961

Fireless: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294202673231

Though on the bright side, I'm building a mk2 Fireless so hopefully I won't be without one for too long!

image.png.971167ba7e3ff0573d2439a30d416f46.png

image.png.2499a9371f269c3df4be8b1583abe63e.png

Edited by TurboSnail

Brake progress - just needs glazing and weathering now! It's numbered as one of the Ashford 1893 batch, which I think would have become dilapidated enough to have been put to light branch line duties by the time Guilford Colliery is set. I didn't have the right transfers but have got as close as I can with what I had. Waiting for the correct ones to arrive would probably have been enough for me to put the model back in the cupboard and forget about it for another few months!

image.png.aa8aa550a8e95a99ab4e4d363cce447a.png

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

A while back I posted a picture of a Hornby Generic being hacked up - it's looking a bit different now!

Based loosely on something the EKLR might have had, if they had a saloon or directors car - possibly influenced by the Earl of Guilford or the directors of the various collieries along the line. The only info on livery I could find was 'indian red', and this is the closest I had to hand.

IMG_20210602_112340.jpg.94085385a24b45ff05a00aa8b6ed8967.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
On 31/05/2021 at 18:32, TurboSnail said:

Brake progress - just needs glazing and weathering now! It's numbered as one of the Ashford 1893 batch, which I think would have become dilapidated enough to have been put to light branch line duties by the time Guilford Colliery is set. I didn't have the right transfers but have got as close as I can with what I had. Waiting for the correct ones to arrive would probably have been enough for me to put the model back in the cupboard and forget about it for another few months!

image.png.aa8aa550a8e95a99ab4e4d363cce447a.png

I remain v. interested in a couple of those...

I've also recently completed the Channel Steel train, but naturally the layout for it has not been started... 

Needs some weathering when I can pluck up the courage to do it, especially turning the coal loads into something that looks a bit more like iron ore. 

IMG_20210602_075625.jpg.82ebe1bc27bdb479c2d5f3498275a92a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 02/06/2021 at 12:59, TurboSnail said:

A while back I posted a picture of a Hornby Generic being hacked up - it's looking a bit different now!

Based loosely on something the EKLR might have had, if they had a saloon or directors car - possibly influenced by the Earl of Guilford or the directors of the various collieries along the line. The only info on livery I could find was 'indian red', and this is the closest I had to hand.

IMG_20210602_112340.jpg.94085385a24b45ff05a00aa8b6ed8967.jpg

Perhaps the sort of thing Arthur Burr might have used to impress potential victims/far-sighted investors.

17 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

I've also recently completed the Channel Steel train, but naturally the layout for it has not been started... 

Needs some weathering when I can pluck up the courage to do it, especially turning the coal loads into something that looks a bit more like iron ore. 

IMG_20210602_075625.jpg.82ebe1bc27bdb479c2d5f3498275a92a.jpg

Utterly delightful and very well done

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

Perhaps the sort of thing Arthur Burr might have used to impress potential victims/far-sighted investors.

Persuading the EKR to construct a saloon they didn't really need, then using it to benefit his other concerns wouldn't be out of character for Mr. Burr!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

A little summary video of how I made the EKR Saloon coach

Hi Tom.

Looking very nice.

For future reference, if you want a tool for getting into tight corners like those bits of moulding/beading, try a micro scalpel, available from Squires.

Made by Swann Morton, they call them the Fine Range. Handles available in various lengths and I think seven different types of blade available, the straight ones are available in single or double bevel versions, i.e. single or double sided. These are quite small and narrow and ideal for getting into tight corners. You can hold them almost level with the surface you are working on, so can make nice clean cuts. I have used them to modify the moulding/beading on some Ratio Midland coach sides and found that if you take most of the material with the first cut, make the second one very light otherwise it tends to pull out the surface a bit leaving a dip, so instead finish using light touches with a clutch pen type glass fibre scratch burnishing tool.

Hope that helps.

Keep up the good work.

Ray

Anything interesting coming off the printer ?

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Anything interesting coming off the printer ?

Not loads currently. I'm trying not to give myself too many new projects until I've got some of the old ones ticked off. Recently had a big re-organise of the workbench and trying to get some layout work done too so CAD work is taking a back seat.

Edited by TurboSnail

• 2 weeks later...

Something I've been working on for a while - not exactly pre-grouping and not a 3D printer in sight, but I can assure you I haven't lost it completely... normal service will be resumed shortly!

*note that "cheap" and "easy" are very relative terms...

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Recovering from whatever possessed me to make a 1980s VW, I've been putting together another Manning Wardle. The Class O 353 is almost finished, but I'm waiting on High Level to get back into business so I can swap the gears in it for one of theirs, so in the meantime I've drawn up the Class K, as per SECR 752 post 1904 rebuild with the large cab. Also planned to have a HL gearbox, so might have to wait a while before I can start building it!

image.png.cfdfe160f418c3b13f176dbe67973f2e.png

• Like 8

7 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Recovering from whatever possessed me to make a 1980s VW, I've been putting together another Manning Wardle. The Class O 353 is almost finished, but I'm waiting on High Level to get back into business so I can swap the gears in it for one of theirs, so in the meantime I've drawn up the Class K, as per SECR 752 post 1904 rebuild with the large cab. Also planned to have a HL gearbox, so might have to wait a while before I can start building it!

image.png.cfdfe160f418c3b13f176dbe67973f2e.png

Yes please !!!!!

Ray

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2021 at 22:01, TurboSnail said:

Sigh...

Why can I never leave nice things alone?

image.png.73deb1f10d937b6408f627eae0ad88be.png

Hi Mr Turbo Snail,

So long as it is only toy trains that you a fiddling with your eyesight will be fine.

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

Some modifications in the works!

This Peckett body will be swapped out for one with the correct dome and longer chimney, and I need to do a bit more fettling to make it fit properly. But a promising start!

The B1, from what I can tell, had:

- slightly smaller tank (can't replicate this easily)

- longer cab with bunker inside and rounded window

- older style dome and valves

- wooden rather than metal bufferbeams

- no smokebox wingplate

- different toolboxes

- different smokebox handrail

And maybe a couple of other details!

IMG_20210702_104119.jpg.24591646ef969020cef164c8bda28ef8.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I've built up a few small trains now, but they're sat gathering dust in a cupboard - so I made a little display case for some of them. Some cheap stripwood and a bit of perspex... and they're still in the cupboard. Will be moved to a better location once I've made some shelves for it to sit on!

IMG_20210704_122453.jpg.c6e19b8afb546eaebd6bc773088eff12.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

@Skinnylinny has drawn up a couple of nice Gloucester(ish) wagons, so I'm building a couple to add a bit more variety to the Guilford Colliery stock. Will be experimenting with transfers too...

This one's a stone/quarry wagon, possibly providing some building materials for bits of the colliery that haven't quite been finished yet.

image.png.c591052eb9cb67dfd6ff2334b49fb323.png

I've also acquired another couple of Hornby Generic coaches to make up a couple more East Kent Railway coaches. A GWR liveried 4comp First to make into ex-KESR no.12, still in its KESR brown and ivory livery (suspiciously similar to GWR brown!). This just needs new lettering and numbers, but has had a roof repaint to blend in with the repainted coaches a little better. And I picked up a BR 6 wheeler to convert into the ex-MR 6w 4comp brake composite no.4. Shown here with the rearmost compartment windows blanked out to make it into a guard's compartment. Neither is going to be the most accurate representation, but since prototype photos are scarce I can probably get away with these relatively low-effort modifications. Both will get new buffers, some underframe detail changes and compartment dividers just to make them look a bit less box-fresh.

image.png.008d0711b315349fef0cdd565bbcf1c2.png

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 9