TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

On 30/08/2021 at 16:14, wainwright1 said:

Hi Tom.

have you got a copy of Mike King's drawings, I think that he does one for the 4 wheelers.

You are getting me tempted here, I might need a rake, although they are slightly too early for my period. I am sure that they could turn up from somewhere. A really old hop pickers train (for really old hop pickers !)

Keep up the good work.

All the best

Ray

Hi Tom.

I was going to forward you this the other day, but forgot about it. I think that you will find it interesting and useful.

MikeKingDrawings (1).docx

You will need to check with Mike about current prices. His email address is mike.king12@btinternet.com

All the best

Ray

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dana Ashdown said:

The dark red/brown on the left. The red is too bright!

Good, because I've made a little bit of progress on that front...

I tried painting the roof by hand, but couldn't get a finish I was happy with, particularly around the birdcages, so they're spray painted. Which resulted in a slightly weird colour scheme (I think the vertical bars on the birdcages should be body colour) but I'm happier with that than having an obviously poor paint job.

Now need to think about how I'm going to do the glazing (inc. droplights) and interiors.

IMG_20210903_210313.jpg.ff0b0d83feeb29ff20db1d5e4189aa1b.jpg

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

I tried painting the roof by hand, but couldn't get a finish I was happy with, particularly around the birdcages, so they're spray painted. Which resulted in a slightly weird colour scheme (I think the vertical bars on the birdcages should be body colour) but I'm happier with that than having an obviously poor paint job.

Now need to think about how I'm going to do the glazing (inc. droplights) and interiors.

Hi Tom.

On a trio of cattle wagons I have used a technique for brush painting the roofs with white paint to give them a fabric texture. Firstly I painted the rooves lengthways keeping the paint lines fairly straight. I let that dry thoroughly for a couple of days,  then painted them again, but this time going crossways again keeping the paint lines straight. After letting the paint thoroughly dry again, I then sprinkled a little weathering powder evenly on the rooves and worked it gently with my finger. This seems to have achieved a fairly good effect and the weathering seems to be quite well fixed and does not rub off.

1683249761_SECRCattleWagonMaunsell.JPG.168d0841575c3a6505366cc1716480cc.JPG

This is the Maunsell/Lynes version.

All the best

Ray

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

14 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Try masking the spray pained roof and then spray or hand paint the birdcage window surrounds. 
richard 

Nearly there!

There are definitely a few things wrong with this loco, but I'm really pleased with how it's turning out nonetheless. I've added some basic pipework, sanding pipes, whatever those valve-like thingies on the front of the tank are, and of course transfers - the cabside and rear SECR plates are from Corbs, the numbering from Fox. Need to refit the vac pipes, add crew and do a light weathering, then it's done.

IMG_20210909_222017.jpg.b5ec328d067c31388e10c0a05f14a90d.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

35 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

.......whatever those valve-like thingies on the front of the tank are, .....

They look very much to me like cylinder lubricators, but what they are doing mounted high up on the tank is a mystery, unless the pipes from them lead from there down to the cylinders.  They were more usually mounted on the front of the smokebox.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

QED Jim's point

As he said, it looks just like a cylinder lubricator, and the pipe to the smokebox wrapper would seem to confirm that this is what it is.

I, and I suspect Jim, have never seen one so distantly mounted.  I wonder why?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

There appears to be no mention of why in the text. I don't know a lot about how these things are fed, but if the pressure is provided by gravity then it may have been moved up to create a greater head of pressure. Just a guess! The other locos in the class all seem to have it on the smokebox side.

I should also list some of the errors/compromises I've made on this loco, just for the sake of honesty:

• Firstly, I've alternated between calling it a Class O and a Class Q - it's a Q. Think I just misread it by missing the tail off!
  • Those cylinder lubricators (assuming that's what they are) - I've fitted two. None of the photos I have show whether it has one on the opposite side too, but having now looked at it in more detail, I suspect there should only be one.
  • The pipework I've done going into the safety valve cover from the sides - this should stop short of the cover and go into the firebox instead. I only found a pic showing this after making it!
  • There's a lot of pipework missing, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life fiddling with it...
  • The chimney should not be capped - but I much prefer the look with a cap, so I left it on. In a similar vein, the brass bits should probably be painted over too.
  • The tank front handrail is bent a bit too square, but those things are a right pain in the proverbial to bend accurately.
  • The numbering is a bit too big really, but that's the only size Fox do.
  • The centre wheel should be slightly further back, but I've shifted it forwards so I could pinch the conrods from a Hornby Terrier - better than trying to 3D print them, and cheaper than custom etching. It's only 2/3rds of a mm out though.
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

There appears to be no mention of why in the text. I don't know a lot about how these things are fed, but if the pressure is provided by gravity then it may have been moved up to create a greater head of pressure. Just a guess! The other locos in the class all seem to have it on the smokebox side.

I should also list some of the errors/compromises I've made on this loco, just for the sake of honesty:

• Firstly, I've alternated between calling it a Class O and a Class Q - it's a Q. Think I just misread it by missing the tail off!
  • Those cylinder lubricators (assuming that's what they are) - I've fitted two. None of the photos I have show whether it has one on the opposite side too, but having now looked at it in more detail, I suspect there should only be one.
  • The pipework I've done going into the safety valve cover from the sides - this should stop short of the cover and go into the firebox instead. I only found a pic showing this after making it!
  • There's a lot of pipework missing, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life fiddling with it...
  • The chimney should not be capped - but I much prefer the look with a cap, so I left it on. In a similar vein, the brass bits should probably be painted over too.
  • The tank front handrail is bent a bit too square, but those things are a right pain in the proverbial to bend accurately.
  • The centre wheel should be slightly further back, but I've shifted it forwards so I could pinch the conrods from a Hornby Terrier - better than trying to 3D print them, and cheaper than custom etching. It's only 2/3rds of a mm out though.

I noticed the chimney, but yours is nicer!

There ought to be another such lubricator on the other side, somewhere, as I doubt it's a single cylinder locomotive!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

There ought to be another such lubricator on the other side, somewhere, as I doubt it's a single cylinder locomotive!

Does one not feed both cylinders? Looking at other photos of the class, there seems to be one on the right hand side of the smokebox (looking from the front) and nothing on the left, but that could just be coincidence as there aren't that many photos and none are of the same loco twice.

Anyway, it wasn't the only loco to get transferred up last night!

IMG_20210910_133436.jpg.35be64cb56a56a2115eec142bbcbd679.jpg

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

Does one not feed both cylinders? Looking at other photos of the class, there seems to be one on the right hand side of the smokebox (looking from the front) and nothing on the left, but that could just be coincidence as there aren't that many photos and none are of the same loco twice.

Anyway, it wasn't the only loco to get transferred up last night!

IMG_20210910_133436.jpg.35be64cb56a56a2115eec142bbcbd679.jpg

It could be so, and that might even explain why it is mounted where it is.

A bit stingy, thought, I'd normally expect two: 

20190320_161831.jpg.babe039e8196b9df66c07f1f7ac8cd81.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

I think that there is earlier picture in one of the books of this loco in full Wainwright livery and it does have a cap on the chimney. As usual, in Wainwright livery it looks very nice.

All the best

Ray

3 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

I think that there is earlier picture in one of the books of this loco in full Wainwright livery and it does have a cap on the chimney. As usual, in Wainwright livery it looks very nice.

This was the version I was planning to do originally, but once I'd already printed the model I chickened out of doing the full Wainwright! Maybe one day...

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 10/09/2021 at 13:07, TurboSnail said:

I don't know a lot about how these things are fed, but if the pressure is provided by gravity then it may have been moved up to create a greater head of pressure. Just a guess! The other locos in the class all seem to have it on the smokebox side.

They are what is known as a Rosce Displacement Lubricator. Steam is fed into it but, it isn't steam pressure that forces the oil to be fed into the cylinder. The steam passes through the reservoir of steam oil, and as it does, a small amount of steam condenses in the oil and falls to the bottom of the container, thus displacing some of the oil, which then flows through the control valve and down into the cylinder. On Mannings they seem to  be either fitted as you have at the front of the water tank, or are mounted on the sides of the smokebox.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

13 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Not sure where you'd find a chassis small enough for this one! 3ft 6in wheels on a 12ft wheelbase

A Dapol Terrier has the correct wheelbase and wheels only 6in out. Probably need to swap the motor for a small diameter coreless one but it wouldn't be the first time I've done that ;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

A Dapol Terrier has the correct wheelbase and wheels only 6in out. Probably need to swap the motor for a small diameter coreless one but it wouldn't be the first time I've done that ;)

Mine has Terrier rods fitted, but I decided 2mm oversize wheels was a bit much in OO - but obviously not as big a difference in N!

• Like 2

More SECR wagons, I'm afraid - do we think I've finally managed to get some accurate colours now? Managed to bodge together enough transfers, none of the normal ones for numbering, tare and tonnage would fit due to how small these vans are! Even the lettering is a wee bit too big.

IMG_20210912_173424.jpg.a21cb9b188da1bad513be5e0346914a6.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

More SECR wagons, I'm afraid - do we think I've finally managed to get some accurate colours now? Managed to bodge together enough transfers, none of the normal ones for numbering, tare and tonnage would fit due to how small these vans are! Even the lettering is a wee bit too big.

IMG_20210912_173424.jpg.a21cb9b188da1bad513be5e0346914a6.jpg

Look good to me, now where's the order book ?

By the way, there are other detail/livery options for the SE & CR Terrier. Safety valves in particular.

1680931569_S.E.C.R.Terrier751BattleshipGrey.jpg.f4895295e897b0e2958229066d7ae7b7.jpg

2144415416_S.E.C.R.Terrier751InterimLivery.jpg.3d1e1210a3a5c1a6cef3a4ae441493d0.jpg

Now back to the CAD.

All the best

Ray

• Like 5