TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

By the way, there are other detail/livery options for the SE & CR Terrier. Safety valves in particular.

1680931569_S.E.C.R.Terrier751BattleshipGrey.jpg.f4895295e897b0e2958229066d7ae7b7.jpg

I've not seen that picture of it before, not sure where that is given presumably GW and LNWR wagons behind it?

There are loads of details and pipework missing off my 751, but I have added a few things over the base Dapol model. Must have been one of the first detail/repaint jobs I ever did, maybe 9 or 10 years ago - I think it still holds up reasonably well considering!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Edwardian said:

IIRC 751 was re-boilered in something like 1909-10, but I think you knew when you chose to do the model in Maunsell grey that it was not consistent with the Stroudley boiler; one can't have everything in life!

Yep - if I was attempting it now with some of the skills I've acquired since I'd have a go at changing the boiler, but I'm happy with it as it is. I think the main thing is the placement of the dome and lack of boiler bands, but that would be serious surgery and I'm unwilling to repaint it again!

• Like 3

Having a weird mix of stock pays off when you need unique vehicles for a shunting puzzle!

The loco, all wagons and all buildings in this pic are scratchbuilt, which not that long ago I would have thought beyond my skillset. They may not be perfect, but it's encouraging to know I may be able to do better in a few more years time.

IMG_20210918_220627.jpg.6fb6e722a38935761f9a230d55154902.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
On 12/09/2021 at 21:42, TurboSnail said:

I've not seen that picture of it before, not sure where that is given presumably GW and LNWR wagons behind it?

LMS on the right, I think, and 16" GW on the iron mink. So it's post-grouping, probably by two or three years. With pooling of ordinary opens and vans, those wagons are of no assistance in pinning down the location.

Edit: apologies, I see @Nick Holliday was there before me. I should read all the posts before posting!

Edited by Compound2632

• 2 weeks later...

It's a grey day, both outside and on the layout!

Finished repainting the C Class chassis this morning, so I guess I can call it done... sort of. Does anyone else find that there are multiple stages of a project being completed? Stage one done for me tends to be finished in 'pristine' finish and usable on the layout, and it'll get left like this for a while while I do other things. Then eventually I get round to making it stage two done, which involves some extra detailing, crew, weathering etc. Or maybe it's just me being lazy and not finishing it properly the first time round!

IMG_20210929_120821.jpg.755a2c78f4412f33aea7710d8027be2a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As well as the loco liveries shown a while ago, my experiments with inkjet printer transfers also involve wagon liveries. These two were made from @Skinnylinny's excellent CAD, I've only done the transfer design - one on clear backed transfer paper, one on white backed. A little bit of touch-up work required in places, but I think they look alright!

A couple more loco liveries were printed at the same time, but I haven't got round to applying those yet. Watch this space...

IMG_20211001_092718.jpg.c11ef1a8bf0160cce35e70e7e86ab85b.jpg

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

Apologies to be a bit sales-y, but I'm still thinning out the collection. Hard to let them go when I've put a lot of work into them, but realistically aren't going to get a lot of use on the layout.

Up on eBay at the moment if anyone's interested, are:

SECR C Class, repainted to wartime grey

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294433031662

Furness Sharp Stewart 0-4-0st

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294433072648

SECR liveried SER van

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294433104019

image.png.2977edba8b6fec225b6c4135806a616d.png

image.png.2c7b1973ea2caa62082a187eabf37b68.png

image.png.a05d70fbe1c41df2e1e89b3ad75fcfd1.png

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

More Peckett work going on! Two versions to test two different motorisation methods - one with an N20 vertically in the firebox, which leaves lots of space for weight in the boiler and tanks. The other has a 'proper' gearbox with a 5-pole motor, which traditional wisdom says will be smoother. Doubly so if I add a flywheel. Experiments to begin shortly...

IMG_20211024_143531.jpg.aa985dd358fcfe38a8673ea55ba88e6a.jpg

• Like 10

I'm not sure I've mentioned this before, but there is another layout in the works, and it reached a milestone over the weekend - the first loco running on it!

Minimum space, in O-16.5, and designed to pack down into a pelicase (admittedly quite a large pelicase) as I won't be getting any more living space any time soon.

It's still a back burner project as I have more to do on the OO for now, but next steps are to make a control panel and figure out how to inset all the track into concrete... oh, and come up with a name for it!

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Given all the distractions I currently have, I probably shouldn't be messing with AnyRail any more, but it has just occurred to me that with a Quarry Hunslet and some Peco slate wagons, a OO9 Inglenook could fit in the same space as an A3 piece of paper...

No! Must not get sidetracked!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Getting the Manning Wardle H out the other day for that picture prompted me to finally get around to doing the transfers. I've been trying to sum up the courage to do this for some time... 

IMG_20211114_155331.jpg.78455d563ba1f86dfe9f34346f510551.jpg

Nice job but I'm Not I'm sure about the cabside lining. Looks a bit rude. :o

• Funny 4

Is that the your/Hardy's bodykit for the W4 chassis? Looks bloody good.

Mine is high on the list for when I get back (after building a layout for it to run on, obviously)...although I might have to restrict the rear lining on my MR-green liveried version to the bunker...!

Thanks for little inspirstion- and morale boost, and loving the re-appearance of your lovely little Class C leading the charge, above :)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Is that the your/Hardy's bodykit for the W4 chassis? Looks bloody good.

Mine is high on the list for when I get back (after building a layout for it to run on, obviously)...although I might have to restrict the rear lining on my MR-green liveried version to the bunker...!

Thanks for little inspirstion- and morale boost, and loving the re-appearance of your lovely little Class C leading the charge, above :)

Thanks! It is the Hardy's kit, but a pre-production test I did, so it has a slightly different mix of footplate and body parts to the kits on sale - a little late finishing it, but I got there in the end!

The C is on the back burner for a while, until I decide what to do with the chassis. It works in theory, but isn't the smoothest with the two axle drive, and doesn't have compensation so might struggle for pickup over the three-way points on my layout. But if I swap to conventional one-axle drive, then I have to figure out how to make tiny but functional conrods... I think I might re-jig the Class F first, and see how that turns out - getting progressively smaller!

• Like 4