TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

7 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Is there any prospect of a 3D O1 body with the Oxford chassis in mind?

Potentially, but not for a while, I'm afraid. I'm still doing test building with the R (on which the O CAD is based), and @Skinnylinny is test building the O. Once those are both done, then the O1 could follow, but isn't a high priority as the other kit already exists. I'm also still trying to offload printing onto someone else - my printer is still pretty unreliable and it's more difficult to get high-enough quality models out of it now than it used to be (I have had to remind myself several times lately that this is a hobby, not a job). But I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

The little Avonside progressess...

image.png.7900b0009f5e8fcd206f6aa4506924dc.png

It also has a new motor and a flywheel for fun. I've since spent most of today adding handrails to this and a couple of other projects that I'm not showing off just yet, so I'm utterly sick of 0.45mm handrail wire and superglued fingers.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

The little Avonside progressess...

image.png.7900b0009f5e8fcd206f6aa4506924dc.png

It also has a new motor and a flywheel for fun. I've since spent most of today adding handrails to this and a couple of other projects that I'm not showing off just yet, so I'm utterly sick of 0.45mm handrail wire and superglued fingers.

Hi Tom,

Look on the bright side super glue was developed to glue skin together instead of using stitches.

Gibbo.

• Like 3

And I can confirm it is excellent at it's job!

The remaining jobs are more fun - planning to try and get the main colour painted during a tea break today. Some people complain about working from home, but it does have the advantage of being able to take mini modelling breaks a couple of times a day. Especially if it's a quick job that you then have to leave to dry

• Like 2

Today's pre-grouping activity is messing with a C Class - they do like to make modern locos out of lots of separate bits, don't they? Hopefully I can remember which bits go where...

Anyway, when I'm done with this loco, it'll be a different colour, which leads me to a plea for help. Does anyone know which sheds C Classes might have been allocated to in the Folkestone area? During and just after The Great War. I need to find a suitable identity for it once repainted, and I'd like it to be a local one.

image.png.fda7c6a13616fe50e5447306db16bbef.png

• Like 4

D L Bradley ("The locomotive history of the SE&CR") doesn't give complete allocation details, however Folkestone Junction doesn't seem to have had any C class (possibly ever).  Allocations when new included Dover (63, 113, 191, 219, 256, 257, 681, 682, 683) and Ashford (38, 102, 298) - don't you just love SE&CR numbering.  He says that up to 1925 "the allocation had not changed greatly over the years", although as Ashford then had 9 of the class and Dover 6, there had evidently been some changes.

By 1925 they were being superseded on the heavier goods trains by N class 260s, but not many Ns will have appeared by your period.

In the post-WW1 period, they were increasingly used for passenger trains (particularly excursions, hop-pickers' specials and such like) as well as goods, so it's a very useful choice of engine.

• Informative/Useful 2

17 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

Allocations when new included Dover (63, 113, 191, 219, 256, 257, 681, 682, 683) and Ashford (38, 102, 298) - don't you just love SE&CR numbering. 

That's fantastic, thanks very much! I'll probably pick one of the Dover ones. I think Folkestone shed was mainly Rs and Os for the Harbour branch, so likely that they wouldn't have been kept there. 256 was a long-lived one (1900-1961), built at Ashford, so I think I'll go with that one.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 20:31, TurboSnail said:

That's fantastic, thanks very much! I'll probably pick one of the Dover ones. I think Folkestone shed was mainly Rs and Os for the Harbour branch, so likely that they wouldn't have been kept there. 256 was a long-lived one (1900-1961), built at Ashford, so I think I'll go with that one.

Careful with the font (I've just argued, I believe successfully, for it to be changed on the new D Class), the 2 is one of the giveaway numbers.

Lovely work.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Careful with the font (I've just argued, I believe successfully, for it to be changed on the new D Class), the 2 is one of the giveaway numbers.

Lovely work.

The transfers I've got are Southern style technically, but I think they're close. I'll check before I apply them, and if not, I'll pick a less controversial number!

• Like 1

This weekend's work was this little wagon - a bit of a curiosity from the Swedish and Norwegian Railway. The hopper design might look fairly modern(ish), but it's a design from 1885(!) built by BRCW with the drawings I used featuring in an article in The Engineer from 1888. I picked up an original version of the drawings off eBay - no idea if it's genuine, but no real reason to doubt it, but it's certainly an odd experience using a piece of paper that's at least 5x older than I am to construct a model to be 3D printed with very modern technology...

The wagon is tiny, by the way - approx. 60mm long and 28mm wide in OO. That combination of small size and the 6-wheel chassis is what drew me to it. I think I'll make a couple for a diorama of the Channel Steel Co. Ltd. at some point (a real company that almost started mining iron ore from the abandoned original channel tunnel workings).

image.png.1cfeb27faff46a99567dd86b4cbc5a02.png

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first test print of a Ruston overtype loco is promising - the body itself hasn't come out that well and needs re-printing, but it fits the chassis and all the details seem to have worked. Some of the moving parts will be re-made in more appropriate materials once I've checked all the sizing is ok. 

IMG_20201110_135455.jpg.269de486dbe4ea44664ff67aa5156990.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 29/10/2020 at 21:50, TurboSnail said:

Some wheels turned up today, so a little wagon work has happened.

Centre axle positioning still needs some work, but otherwise pretty happy with it.

image.png.c583385a7e7b9ccbb4d040643d12a0c7.png

Perfect for a Pre-Grouping tri-axle mineral wagon! Where can I find such a body?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Perfect for a Pre-Grouping tri-axle mineral wagon! Where can I find such a body?

It's one I've designed myself, it's not available yet as I need to finish building it and checking it works properly, but I'm hoping to make it available to buy soon.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

It's one I've designed myself, it's not available yet as I need to finish building it and checking it works properly, but I'm hoping to make it available to buy soon.

In which case, I very much doubt that the Norfolk Minerals railway could resist!

• Like 4

A little progress update on another project!

This is just testing with a 9V battery, yet to test slow speed running. The chassis needs a little tweaking, then I need to print a new body as this one has a few print quality issues. Then to really test my sanity and see if I can get the motion working...

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

The Channel Steel fleet is coming together nicely, I need to build a couple more of the wagons but I'm happy the design works now (transfers kindly provided by @Corbs). Still need to think of some kind of mini diorama or shelf layout for these to run on... maybe I should have thought about that before building them! The Peckett can make occasional appearances on my main layout but I'd like to reserve the Pugbash for something a bit different. I'll go and brainstorm some ideas

IMG_20201120_083658.jpg.69124a4887ce96639def76c4a694fd74.jpg

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Sorry, I was mad-busy and fighting with poor internet, so now I'll say something more.

I really love what you've done. It's great to have a fresh take on the Hornby Peckett, by a cunning conversion to a more modern design. I love the cabless tank. It has bags of character and looks so right.  I  also believe that grey is an underrated livery for locomotives and it works really well here. 

Black suits the wagon perfectly. I think the lettering is spot-on and thoroughly convincing.  The lettering on the locos is similarly appropriate.  

All in all great examples of the sort of modelling I love to see. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Sorry, I was mad-busy and fighting with poor internet, so now I'll say something more.

I really love what you've done. It's great to have a fresh take on the Hornby Peckett, by a cunning conversion to a more modern design. I love the cabless tank. It has bags of character and looks so right.  I  also believe that grey is an underrated livery for locomotives and it works really well here. 

Black suits the wagon perfectly. I think the lettering is spot-on and thoroughly convincing.  The lettering on the locos is similarly appropriate.  

All in all great examples of the sort of modelling I love to see. 

Thanks! That means a lot knowing your meticulous eye for detail :)

Is the Peckett cab a more modern design? I'd thought it was an earlier one, the inspiration being the B1 Class and the X Class of the 1880s/90s. Though I suppose the early W4s would have been contemporaries. 

I'm rather a fan of grey too, which is entirely down to the SECR livery and inheriting a Bachmann N in that scheme. I've got a couple more SECR locos in the works with that livery, despite it fitting neither of my layout's two running periods (1912ish and 1947ish)!

As for the lettering (all of it), we have @Corbs to thank for that - I'd send him an inspiration pic of something similar and a few days later some gorgeous photoshop work would be sent back to me. I won't pretend to understand the process, but I can certainly admire it!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Another project left languishing for far too long - I've finally got round to painting the wheels and getting it back on the chassis, which hopefully will motivate me to finish off the few remaining details.

A Manning Wardle of an indeterminate class and age, probably a catalogue locomotive with a few customer-specified modifications, which was used as a contractors loco when joining up Guilford Colliery to the East Kent Railway. The Kent Coal Company subsequently bought the loco, naming it in tribute to Sir Edward Watkin, who had been an early enthusiast of the Kent Coalfield at their Shakespeare Colliery site. Its more powerful construction with larger wheels made it better suited to occasional trips on the light railway (when required) than the Company's other smaller shunters. I hope that's a good enough justification!

IMG_20201129_154143.jpg.33e5b755adfa61c96020e23003648fcd.jpg

• Like 12