TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

The CAD story, Episode 3.

Time elapsed: 14 hours

In addition to the rendering posted previously, the only thing I've done with the Neilson tank today is adding a space for a captive nut in the body and a screw hole in the chassis so that the two can be held together properly. I will probably draw a proper scale driving wheel for it as well, so I can replace the wheel centre from Markits/Scalelink with one that doesn't have a crankpin hole in it. But that will come later when I have an axle and a wheel to hand to measure.

In other news, I have made a start on a Sharp Stewart saddle tank, which I'm nicknaming the Hedgehog as the builders clearly enjoy rivets a lot more than I do.

post-25124-0-68408900-1536697586.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ooh ooh ooh - a Furness Sharp Stewart tank - dribble! Really just get on and finish off my 7mm scale scratch build...

Very impressive so far TurboSnail, I particularly like the 2-2-2ST/T - rather nice, especially in the blue livery render.

Edited by NeilHB

The CAD story, Episode 4.

Time elapsed: 18 hours.

Another reasonably good day, although I now hate rivets as no man has ever done before. The Neilson single driving wheels have been drawn, hopefully I'll be able to replace the centre of a Scale-link/Markits wheel with the printed part.

More work on the Sharp Stewart done as well, this one was much easier to fit a motor in due to the additional height given by the saddle tank. It also has some basic cab interior and body details, so I think the body is done and I just need to do a few more details on the chassis. I wasn't expecting to get through one project this week, let alone two... any ideas for what I should do next? (Bearing in mind my preferences are south eastern or quirky industrial)

post-25124-0-64915200-1536783324.jpg

post-25124-0-30130600-1536783333_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The CAD story, Episode 5.

Time elapsed: 22 hours.

More work done on the Sharp Stewart saddle tank, to the extent that I think it is now finished - as usual, if you spot anything I've missed, do let me know.

I've done some very approximate sums, and I reckon both the Neilson 2-2-2t and the Sharp Stewart 0-4-0st could be built for about £60 all in, I'm aiming for a target price of £35-£40 for the prints and motor/gears, hopefully less. This compares pretty favourably with Shapeways, where it would end up costing about £60 for just the prints, and probably be less detailed in the process. Is anyone interested in test building the Sharp Stewart? I'd love to build one, but it doesn't really fit in with my SECR stock so I can't justify using my limited budget on it. (The Neilson doesn't really fit either but I just have to have one :) )

I have also started yet another project (!), but I'm not telling you what this one is, you'll have to work it out yourself. The only clue is that it is tiny! It's also the first time I've ever drawn buffers, which took a few goes to get right.

post-25124-0-07714900-1536868802_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-72572300-1536868810.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The first of the Furness Railway examples were built in I think 1864 - will check the books in the morning and confirm Linny. The Cambrian also owned some, but there’s had a different cab and dome arrangement.

TurboSnail - just out of curiosity how much do you think a 7mm scale print of the Sharp Stewart would be please? Just the print though as have wheels, motor gears etc. The CAD looks very, very good, and far better than I could manage to scratchbuild.

Is the new one a Manning Wardle? That cab looks rather familiar - SECR owner example? Or Wantage No.7? Both had fairly similar looking cabs...

When was the Sharp Stewart prototype built? If it's old enough I could certainly be tempted especially if you can advise on the wheels, motor and gearbox it's designed for. I'd also be tempted by the Neilson 2-2-2!

That would be great if you're prepared to build one! I can't afford to give you one unfortunately but it wouldn't be full price. They were built in 1864, and are designed for 16mm wheels (Scale-link is my preference, but it doesn't really matter). The motor and gearbox I will provide, but you're free to replace them with higher quality bits if you're prepared to modify the chassis a little bit. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

The first of the Furness Railway examples were built in I think 1864 - will check the books in the morning and confirm Linny. The Cambrian also owned some, but there’s had a different cab and dome arrangement.

TurboSnail - just out of curiosity how much do you think a 7mm scale print of the Sharp Stewart would be please? Just the print though as have wheels, motor gears etc. The CAD looks very, very good, and far better than I could manage to scratchbuild.

Is the new one a Manning Wardle? That cab looks rather familiar - SECR owner example? Or Wantage No.7? Both had fairly similar looking cabs...

Neil, you're rather too good at this guessing game - the Sharp Stewart you immediately identified as the Furness Railway version (from 1864), and the new loco is indeed a Manning Wardle, owned by the SECR... I'm going to have to find some even more obscure prototypes  :)

I'll look into rescaling the Sharp Stewart, it would be a bit more expensive as by doubling the scale it approximately multiplies the volume of the print by eight, but I'll get back to you on that one. Would you want the chassis print as well?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

TurboSnail - what can I say - I like little locos and the more interesting the better in my books :-)

Thanks re the rescaling - no rush at the moment, but yes would definitely be interested in body and chassis too please. What was the wheel base on the drawing you used please?

Hurrah!

Another cute 0-4-0ST off my list, and done to a much higher standard than I'd manage! :)

Oops, sorry! I had it in my head for some reason that you were planning to do the other Manning Wardle saddle tank that was also operated by the SECR and also worked at Folkestone Harbour...

TurboSnail - what can I say - I like little locos and the more interesting the better in my books :-)

Thanks re the rescaling - no rush at the moment, but yes would definitely be interested in body and chassis too please. What was the wheel base on the drawing you used please?

The wheelbase was 7' 9" IIRC, rounded to 30mm in 1:76 scale, which is slightly short (7' 7") but was more consistent with the rest of the drawing/photos.

• Like 1

Oops, sorry! I had it in my head for some reason that you were planning to do the other Manning Wardle saddle tank that was also operated by the SECR and also worked at Folkestone Harbour...

The wheelbase was 7' 9" IIRC, rounded to 30mm in 1:76 scale, which is slightly short (7' 7") but was more consistent with the rest of the drawing/photos.

Don't apologise!!! Anything off of my list is helpful, as I've said before. I've made it too long, so anything taken off reduces that and helps to satisfy some of those I've kept waiting.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks - yes the 7’9” w/b was what I’d been working to for my scratchbuild. Any chance of a small tweak to the rescale please so that it’s same as prototype? Have a pair of rods ready and waiting, plus not entirely sure if anyone makes 7’7” rods in 7mm scale.

Ta muchly in advance.

• Like 1

Thanks - yes the 7’9” w/b was what I’d been working to for my scratchbuild. Any chance of a small tweak to the rescale please so that it’s same as prototype? Have a pair of rods ready and waiting, plus not entirely sure if anyone makes 7’7” rods in 7mm scale.

Ta muchly in advance.

I could do that no problem. However, given the variability of 3D printing, in reality I would expect the wheelbase to be somewhere in the region of +/- 0.5mm of where it is on the CAD file. This could be enough to stop the rods working properly, so I would advise making your own or using the (very basic) ones included in the print as a guide. Conrods have been the biggest problem by far of my 3D printing ventures. 

I had a quick look on 3Dhubs, the total cost of a body and chassis in 1:43 would be about £100! That's one of the major downsides of it, things get disproportionally expensive as you scale up.

• Like 1

The CAD story, episode 6.

There isn't one. My summer job finished today, so rather than be sensible and do the 300 mile journey home tomorrow, I'm heading off now. During rush hour. Hopefully in about 5 hours time I'll be greeted by a slightly mad dog and be reunited with my layout.

More CAD stuff to come, but now I'm not stuck in a B&B I'll be able to get back to real modelling too.

Time to fire up the trusty old Volvo and point it South.

Catching up on the deliveries that have arrived while I was away, most of interest is the Markits order for the F class wheels. The body has had the detailing done too, although I have since added the smokebox door hinges to the CAD model so it should look better than this example. I'm thinking of reordering the tender as well, as I think the later version is more appropriate to the SECR era, but I'm not sure. I also changed the way the central axle works so the new version should actually be able to go round corners now, and the springs have moved out a bit so lining the sides should be easier. I've got a few more motors as well in anticipation of sending test prints to a few people.

One of the last things I did at work was to print a couple of test sets of driving wheels for the Neilson tank, with slightly different dimensions (I got permission first!). The smaller set works pretty well, so this might actually be a viable option for recreating a driving wheel without the crankpin hole.

post-25124-0-16132800-1537008687_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-46375100-1537008697_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

One of the last things I did at work was to print a couple of test sets of driving wheels for the Neilson tank, with slightly different dimensions (I got permission first!). The smaller set works pretty well, so this might actually be a viable option for recreating a driving wheel without the crankpin hole.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180915_105058.jpg

Hi TS,

What will you do about tyres for your wheel, will you cannibalise them from a Markits-Romford wheel of the correct diameter or are you printing them from sintered bronze or CNC lathed from nickel silver ?

Impressive all around so far.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Hi TS,

What will you do about tyres for your wheel, will you cannibalise them from a Markits-Romford wheel of the correct diameter or are you printing them from sintered bronze or CNC lathed from nickel silver ?

Impressive all around so far.

Gibbo.

I'll pinch the tyre from another wheel, probably Scale-link depending on where my next order goes. Printing probably wouldn't be precise enough to make it run well and I'd have concerns about electrical conductivity as well. 

In case anyone was afraid I'd forgotten about the F class and it's variants, here's an update. All the CAD modelling is finished, bar any errors/mistakes that anyone spots, so we have, in order: F class (original SER tender), F1, F1 with extended Maunsell smokebox and late B1. The F class can also run with the F1 tender as the ones that weren't rebuilt to F1s had the later tenders in late SECR and SR days.

They are by no means the last word in accuracy or detail, but I think the overall likeness is reasonably good, most of the compromise is to make the printing process possible. Removing the support material is a pain, but to get a good surface finish, there aren't any other techniques in the same league.

I need to get on with finishing the test model (F class, early tender, probably SECR livery but I haven't quite decided yet), then I can make the prints available to those who want them.

post-25124-0-12685100-1537108425.jpg

post-25124-0-66971500-1537108433_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-70274800-1537108442_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-60238700-1537108453_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Today's job - clean up and test fit the F class chassis bits.

Lots of supports to remove, being extra careful around the brakes and guard irons. Only one brake shoe broke off, and that happened in the post, so I'm calling that a success. A brief seeing to with the Dremel and a sanding disc and it's not looking too bad, we have the main section for the driving wheels and motor, and the bogie as a separate piece.

And the bogie wheels fit! A little more work needs doing on the bearings to make them run perfectly free but it's going well so far.

post-25124-0-04233700-1537197465_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-38738100-1537197500_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-08151300-1537197549_thumb.jpg

• Like 5