TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

Perfectly understandable.

4 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I can send you a photo (with known dimensions) of a similar-looking engine that is larger all-round and has the same wheel diameter as the Peckett chassis.

Then please do!

I'm with you on the 'generic' version, but I am designing this for a customer, and they wanted a Class H, and I'm told the customer is always right... Besides, we've already done a generic Hudswell Clarke (2, in fact, or 7 if you count all the variants), so they felt a more prototypical loco would be best for the next project. The compromises on the body are much less than on the chassis, so I'm hoping it turns out alright.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

I can send you a photo (with known dimensions) of a similar-looking engine that is larger all-round and has the same wheel diameter as the Peckett chassis. You would still have the same overall typical Manning Wardle look but with dimensions that are more suited to the Peckett chassis and with fewer compromises.

Interestering.

Mebbe Tom could try un for hissen?

One of my personal projects is progressing perfectly, the LCDR Martley F - makes a change from working on tiny locos recently! Still need to model the springs and sandboxes. The plan for this loco is to run in SECR livery with a short rake of the Hattons' Generic coaches to represent a local stopping service - even though my layout isn't really suburban enough for these locos to have been used in reality.

image.png.ec6ecb21b109c6743347f65ee7e727d7.png

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Guest LU Standard Stock

A Martley F.....with condensing pipes? I might have a use for that!

No, let me rephrase that....I NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by LU Standard Stock

18 minutes ago, LU Standard Stock said:

A Martley F.....with condensing pipes? I might have a use for that!

There's a couple of other things to get through the test build queue first, but it shouldn't be too long...

Was there a version without condensing pipes? All the photos I've seen (admittedly not many, but both LCDR and SECR condition) have them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Can someone explain what's going on with the condensing pipes there? They go very low down into the side-tanks - I'm expecting the smokebox to fill with water! The pipes usually run above tank level, curving round to join the tank around half-way along. Not a criticism of the CAD, which depicts the prototype correctly.

• Like 1

Guest LU Standard Stock

I actually don't know if any were un-condensed, I also know very little about the class as a whole. But I do know they are absolutely perfect for the Widened Lines! :)

Like your plan I would be running it in SECR livery with Hattons 4 wheelers but modified to Widened Lines standards. I'm going to get an ex-LCDR R from South Eastern Finecast to also use on those services.

Edited by LU Standard Stock

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Can someone explain what's going on with the condensing pipes there? They go very low down into the side-tanks - I'm expecting the smokebox to fill with water! 

You are assuming that the pipes end as soon as they enter the tank, rather than continuing inside, enveloped by water, to cool down the steam inside...

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Can someone explain what's going on with the condensing pipes there? They go very low down into the side-tanks - I'm expecting the smokebox to fill with water! The pipes usually run above tank level, curving round to join the tank around half-way along. Not a criticism of the CAD, which depicts the prototype correctly.

I've no idea! There's very little info available online, and I don't have the correct reference books to look it up. I'm only assuming they're condensing pipes, no clue what else they may be though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Regularity said:

You are assuming that the pipes end as soon as they enter the tank, rather than continuing inside, enveloped by water, to cool down the steam inside...

Thinking about it, there is also the odd loop on top of the tanks that may be related to this somehow...

Edited by TurboSnail

• RMweb Gold
Just now, TurboSnail said:

Thinking about it, there is also the odd loop on top of the tanks that may be related to this somehow...

Yes. The condensing pipe passes through the water, then through that loop, which acts as a trap to stop water being sucked from the tanks into the smoke box.

• Informative/Useful 4

CR 1 and 29 classes had a similar arrangement for working through the Glasgow Central low level lines. The drivers didn't like condensing, though, since condensing the steam heated up the water in the tanks and injectors didn't work so well with hot water. 

Jim

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

53 minutes ago, LU Standard Stock said:

This is the only picture I have of the F Class, at Victoria station. It's in Steam on the Widened Lines volume 2.

I have a couple of others on my reference sheet, can dig out better copies if you want.

15747025666436946976521547462057.jpg.86970bcde4af407eb7a0ec97bc8d7c39.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Does anyone have any info or pictures of the Manning Wardle Class B/C? I've got the '74 Railway Modeller article, but there's not much background, and no photos.

I've probably got photos, either in my collection, or in books. I'll see what I can find.

• Like 1

I've had a look through my photos and I can't find either an A or a B but I have a book with a drawing. I need to get the scanner to talk to the computer but until then here is some info that you may find useful.

Class B and C are the same with the exception that Class C has 7in. cylinders as opposed to the B's 6in. Only 14 B were built to standard gauge and only 2 C were built in total (both standard gauge). More B were built to narrow gauges than standard and ranged from 2ft. 4in. to 3ft. for British service (I haven't looked up those built for service overseas).

Length over buffer beam - 13ft. 9in.

Width over buffer beam 7ft. 2in.

Wheelbase 4ft. 7in.

Wheel diameter 2ft. 6in.

Height (rail to chimney top) 9ft.

Years built - 1863 to 1872.

As regards modelling one in 4mm then good luck with that! There are no driving wheels available (that I am aware of) in the required diameter and I can't think of a RTR chassis that could fit.

So you can get an idea of just how small they wre, here's a standard gauge Class E, which is around a foot longer and on 2ft. 9in. wheels.

785classE-1.jpg.d64559df9ed15b77995e789ee0eed020.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mike Sharman used to do some suitable wheels for a Class B because that was what I used for my scratchbuilt in brass P4 example of the breed.  I fitted a tiny can motor into it by using the casing of the can motor to represent the boiler and it had a very tiny worm drive gearbox hidden in the firebox.  It took me ages to build despite being so small and I'm sure I did my eyesight a mischief with all those tiny details I was mad enough to model.  It couldn't pull much, but it did look very pretty.  Sorry no photos, - I've never really been a camera owning person and I sold the model ages ago.

Edited by Annie
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2mmscale association do a range of wheels from 13mm down to 7mm, which includes 10mm, 9.5 and 9mm (depending how m,uch wear you want to depict on your rims. These for example would not be drasically out if you removed every second spoke and added in the balancing blank crankpin position, which should be fairly easy as the centers are brass. And with them being split axle you don't have to worry about pickups. Aklternatively there is bound to be something N guage with bigger flanges.

wheels.jpg.86f67dfcdb4b26891df5624f642a3ef5.jpg

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2