TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

Chaps, there are a couple of other points re the GA O1.

First, I think it's resin cast.  This might not be as good a material/process as the 3D print.  For me, Knuckles' own prints (not his Shapeways shop) are something of the benchmark here.

Second, the GA body is designed to fit the Hornby Jinty chassis.  Now, what I know about MR/LMS locos is fairly minimal, so I could not say what its w/b and wheel diameter are, or whether the modern China-made Hornby Jinties match it.

We do know, however, that the Oxford Rail Dean goods chassis is a close match, and that's what I would expect to use, so a 3D printed body designed (if possible, to fit the Oxford chassis would be something of a boon. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

IIRC, the O and R Classes are 7'4" + 8'2". The Oxford Dean centre wheel is one inch out (can't remember which way), but overall is correct. The wheel diameter is something like 0.4mm too big for the O and R, but if I hadn't said that no one would have noticed!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

IIRC, the O and R Classes are 7'4" + 8'2". The Oxford Dean centre wheel is one inch out (can't remember which way), but overall is correct. The wheel diameter is something like 0.4mm too big for the O and R, but if I hadn't said that no one would have noticed!

The Dean Goods should be 7’3” + 8’3”, so, correct overall but each 1" out. Well, that's 0.33r of a mm, so close enough for me!

And, rather better than Hornby's 7'9" + 8'3" (thank you, Alan),  hence not wanting to be tied to the GA resin body.

Pre-Grouping, the Dean wheel diameter is 5', however, later tyres increased this to 5'2", and I'd bet Oxford have reproduced the post-Grouping 5'2", which should match the O/O1.

Having said that, I always reckon one should tolerate up to 2" of wear.   

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Having said that, I always reckon one should tolerate up to 2" of wear.   

That must be why I'm a bit shorter in height now than when I was in my twenties.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

The usual family New Year's Eve walk was around Faversham Creek this year. I've often harboured thoughts of building a layout along these lines, a quiet, single track narrow gauge line, serving a wharf or suchlike, which would be sited 'off-stage', leaving just the railway though a large board with lots of open space. Lots of little makeshift bridges and banks to support the lightly-laid track, weaving alongside the waterway over various tributaries etc.. I think it's well beyond my ability to do it at this stage, and certainly well beyond the space I have available, but I'll leave these pics here as inspiration if I ever decide to come back to it. All taken on a very grey day with a fairly rubbish phone camera!

Incidentally, the dog started off the walk in black, white and brown, and returned just black. Much of which was transferred to the car's carpets...

image.png.b87491d3bda5e59868e38adcccd62ce2.png

image.png.7e614a4ab651db40f9df42e8af2f3671.png

image.png.21f13ae10249f126ee4e8ef76cbe9af2.png

image.png.0ae617c2201924c7e859f4e659b436c5.png

image.png.0feec16800b9b5e540d2d0cc2a7fa499.png

• Like 7

Anyone for a Sentinel? I was doing some research for a model and got sidetracked, and next thing I know, I'm spending several days on a new model...

The cab interior is a little sparse at the moment, so if anyone's got any good photos, do let me know.

image.png.3f79654eeaf860633b204507416ae90d.png

image.png.b4c22fcc2932250d4db679bad7cb8ede.png

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi TS,

I know that feeling where what I should be doing and what I could be doing seem to change places. It always amazes me how much stuff I actually get finished off in its entirety while I am on a project detour before I get back to what I was doing in the first place.

The best way to reconcile not getting on with what I should be doing is that I can do all of it in time, and as none of it really matters, it doesn't actually matter !

How about Matissa Neptune Track Recorder for a detour should you wish to be side tracked ?

Gibbo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 02/01/2020 at 13:58, TurboSnail said:

The usual family New Year's Eve walk was around Faversham Creek this year. I've often harboured thoughts of building a layout along these lines, a quiet, single track narrow gauge line, serving a wharf or suchlike, which would be sited 'off-stage', leaving just the railway though a large board with lots of open space.

Standard quay was rail served, by the LCDR.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

I was doing some research for a model and got sidetracked, and next thing I know, I'm spending several days on a new model...

Thats how I get my wagons done surprisingly.

Its looking great!

Edited by Javier L
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

I could probably draw it up and send you the CAD file?

No offence intended, but I'd rather do it myself - I have a very particular set of tolerances I use, related to my printer's characteristics so the chassis isn't drawn as-is.

I was thinking about getting one, but went for a cheaper Bachmann C Class instead. Maybe at some point in the future!

@sem34090 you're a terrible person, making me spend all this money on new locos :rolleyes: I was planning to get one anyway at some point, I've just advanced that plan a bit. And it's worth it, the chassis is great - note the same motor I use in several of my kits...

As usual, the first thing that happens to any loco arriving at TS Towers is a complete dismantling to see if I can borrow its chassis for something else. I've currently got my eye on the 48DS's predecessor, the 44/48hp.

IMG_20200109_174621.jpg.fb9b9f641c01cc63f6f55bc25fdc4473.jpg

• Like 6
  • Funny 2

Well, the payment for the C Class doesn't go out until some other bits on the same order are in stock, so I have some time to save back up for it! Besides, hopefully I'll be in a position to start selling bodyshells on a small scale soon, so of I can make some that fit the Ruston, I might make some of the cost back.

I was to say, the Ruston truly isn't too dear.   I can understand "broke college kid," but 72 GBP is outright cheap for a new locomotive.

Have you seen Model Rail?   They tackle one of your designs from Hardy Hobbies.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

I was to say, the Ruston truly isn't too dear.   I can understand "broke college kid," but 72 GBP is outright cheap for a new locomotive.

Have you seen Model Rail?   They tackle one of your designs from Hardy Hobbies.

I'm broke graduate now! Though I agree, I'm generally happy with under £100 these days if they're as good as Hornby's recent Pecketts and the 48DS. But I bought several new locos over the Christmas period, so should probably stop for a bit.

I have seen the Model Rail December issue, was slightly underwhelmed with the review to be honest, but as they say, any publicity is good publicity...