TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

56 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

I'm broke graduate now!

Hi TS,

If you carry on as you are, you could be Hornby's head of development for Era 1, how many engines do you want !?!?!?

That said, you are currently head of Turbo Smail's head of development for Era 1, how many engines do you have ?!?!?!

Gibbo.

13 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Should that not be n+x? (where x is any number up to, and including, infinity) :jester:

Jim 

Hi Jim,

I see that as more a philosophical question than a mathematics problem.

It could be said that the use of x within the equation as a variable for any integer from 1 to  represents greed, whereas the use of 1 shews a level of restraint and is more suitable to a rationale that shews a slow steady path of work toward an ever expanding sense achievement.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Sorry if I've caused any offence.  It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek,  hence the 'jester' emoticon.

Jim 

Hi Jim,

I'm not at all offended !

It was mainly "silly waffle" in response to your use of the jester, I do feel on a serious point though, that greed isn't a trait to be applauded.

Gibbo.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

As usual, the first thing that happens to any loco arriving at TS Towers is a complete dismantling to see if I can borrow its chassis for something else. I've currently got my eye on the 48DS's predecessor, the 44/48hp.

As per your PM, and as you have mentioned it here, I have scanned the drawing requested of the prototype standard gauge 44/48HP oil-engined locomotive. Technically it wasn't a 44/48HP as it was the only standard gauge locomotive, built by Rustons, to use a Lister engine. All the others used engines of Rustons own manufacture but none of that matters as far as modelling it is concerned.

It was the only one built to this appearance, with the remainder of 44/48 having the same engine casing as that which became the 48DS. Photos of it on test, in Lincoln, and the drawing (taken from a RH sales leaflet) show it without the coolant header tank but all photos of it in service show it with the tank. I suspect it was modified before it was delivered to the customer H.J. Heinz, in October 1935, for use at their Willesden factory.

proto48DSweb.jpg.869e230ba36653edc89f942cc24bfad0.jpg

177530.jpg.9acb3484b8288832ebac735ea2e87478.jpg

177530heinz.jpg.0f3f7cda59a29e2ffb43e56e8779ef6d.jpg

I'll PM the full resolution drawing. The 48DS frame can be used unaltered, save for cutting and filing off the deraling bars but the buffers are different, the cab steps and all bodywork will need to be made anew. To be true, the wheel diameter was 3 ins. smaller than the 48DS but we can overlook that as it won't even show in this scale.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I did find one photo which I think is the same loco as drawn, with a cab side window too, but unfortunately is small and low-res.

image.png.27b93a2bb4eeca310453bfd48b49d281.png

Source: http://www.djr12ecg.demon.co.uk/ruston/48ds1.htm

The Horny chassis is just the wheels really, so no modifications needed at all! The derailing bars are part of the body moulding. Some of the parts will be over scale thickness, but otherwise this shouldn't be a difficult model to produce, and backdates it nicely into the later of the two eras I plan to run on my proposed layout(s).

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Some with long memories may remember I designed a KESR Ford railmotor a while back, I printed it and had left it since. However, I've finally got round to ordering wheels for it, so I de-sprued it and test fitted a few bits, including the motor. Looks like it might work!

IMG_20200112_221513.jpg.d78ad83d0d30964834e4a6aa14e8f9d4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

Started working on an SER 2-plank ballast wagon, not sure I've got the colour spot on but it'll have to do. Waiting on a delivery of wheels now.

JPEG_20200116_222637.jpg.5dc303158ec0dd7fcb9e845c595d2659.jpg

Looks fantastic! And are these going to be available.....? Oh, and what wheels are you using?

All the best,

Mark

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Looks fantastic! And are these going to be available.....? Oh, and what wheels are you using?

All the best,

Mark

Yes, provided this test build works ok!

I'm trying out Gibson wheels this time, 12mm 8-spoke - should really be split spoke but they'll do.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've had quite a few people ask me how I do my CAD modelling, so in a few minutes I'm starting a live stream on YouTube following the process from scratch. It might be quite a boring one, but you do have the chance to throw questions at me in the chat window thingy.

[EDIT]: 1 hour and 45 minutes later and we have what you can see in the video thumbnail. Not a bad start! I'm planning to document the whole process through all the CAD work, to 3D print setup, to assembling and finishing the model. Hopefully.

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 5

I've been jumping back and forth between about 6 different projects over the weekend, so here's some R Class progress, which now fits and bolts onto the chassis. Took some fettling, so I've got a few revisions to make to the CAD.

I've also been experimenting with printing separate detail parts for other models, such as the springs and smokebox door handles here.

IMG_20200120_081200.jpg.bad07afdf7e7b998f2414bcf3278d5d3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

I've been jumping back and forth between about 6 different projects over the weekend, so here's some R Class progress, which now fits and bolts onto the chassis. Took some fettling, so I've got a few revisions to make to the CAD.

I've also been experimenting with printing separate detail parts for other models, such as the springs and smokebox door handles here.

IMG_20200120_081200.jpg.bad07afdf7e7b998f2414bcf3278d5d3.jpg

The R Class is looking amazing! More photos, please!

All the best,

Mark

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

That being said, they'd also be rather more expensive!

Exactly. I have at least 6 locos on the bench at the moment, and I can't afford that kind of outlay for such a tiny component. The printed ones are so small that they're virtually free, so if I do desperately need to rid myself of some cash at some point in the future, I can just pull them out and replace them.

• Like 3