TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

Hi Tom,

Thanks very much for The Video (part 1).  I got a little way into Blender a couple of years ago, but as I've forgotten most of it, I might now switch to Fusion 360, especially if you are minded to explain more techniques related to railway components that you've discovered.

If I may, the bolts on the corner plates seem to be out of place in relation to the planks they're holding and one set appears to be bang on the join between two planks.  I suspect this might be a drawing error as you took measurements, but it made me think that doing the planks before the bolts might help to line things up properly.

Also it appears the drop down menus from the tool selections don't show on your screen capture software so what tool you've selected is a mystery unless you say (eg at 34:36).

Alan

56 minutes ago, Buhar said:

If I may, the bolts on the corner plates seem to be out of place in relation to the planks they're holding and one set appears to be bang on the join between two planks.  I suspect this might be a drawing error as you took measurements, but it made me think that doing the planks before the bolts might help to line things up properly.

Also it appears the drop down menus from the tool selections don't show on your screen capture software so what tool you've selected is a mystery unless you say (eg at 34:36).

I'll have another look at the drawing next Saturday when I continue work on this wagon - correcting mistakes is all part of the process!

I'll try and remember to describe the tool selection too - weird bug as it should all be within the same window, so I might have a dig around in the setting to see if I can solve it. The streaming software is designed to be used with video games, so it may be trying to hide pause menus or something like that.

• Like 1

Try thinning the paint down quite a bit and applying several thin coats, on top of an undercoat of rattle can black or grey, rather than trying to cover things in one thick coat.

Jim

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I don't have an airbrush, so the blue is Halfords car spray paint and everything else is brushed. A coat of Halfords plastic primer has been applied first, but I don't usually mask over this when applying the main colour, so the brushed colours are over the gloss paint, which probably isn't a fantastic idea.

• Like 1

I'll keep that in mind. I usually overdo it as the coverage isn't good on areas such as inward-facing corners, or behind chimneys. Trying to patch these in then overcooks the main areas. Maybe I'll try pre-painting the tricky areas with a similar colour brush paint first.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As I am currently in “temporary” accommodation, my bedroom is also my modelling room. I mention this because on the topic of spray cans, I am reminded that on Tuesday morning I came within 2 seconds of spraying my armpits with Halfords Plastic Primer, which was next to my deodorant*...

* I will never be allowed to visit exhibitions now.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

As I am currently in “temporary” accommodation, my bedroom is also my modelling room. I mention this because on the topic of spray cans, I am reminded that on Tuesday morning I came within 2 seconds of spraying my armpits with Halfords Plastic Primer, which was next to my deodorant*...

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Regularity said:

Some years ago when I was running late to go to work I almost did the same when I was fumbling for my can of hairspray.  My bedroom was also my workshop (complete with miniature lathe) and somehow my can of grey primer had ended up on my dressing table.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Time for round 2!

[post-stream edit]: This week - ironwork, doors, underframe, axleboxes, start of assembly and I continue to be boring. But Fusion 360 decided to liven things up by ending the stream with a crash, so I took that as a sign I should stop for one night.

Next week - hopefully finishing off the CAD and doing the setup in the 3D printing slicer software. Then onto the actual model build in the following weeks!

image.png.9524cd51a9868ed1deaba14ef86ab2bb.png

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 2

This is a Sentinel used at Cambridge Gasworks, what I'm interested in is the tank and engine cover. Does anyone have any more info or photos of this style of Sentinel? I've seen images of a couple of others, with slightly different chassis arrangements, but I'm thinking it would make a nice model. I'm aware 'Gasbag' is at Ribble, so may be worth a visit at some point.

Photo pinched from http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/sentinel/sentinel.htm, well worth a read if you like these quirky locos.

image.png.d5feeb9f7338bdaf541dfde0605ad540.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, webbcompound said:

this photo doesn't really help you, although the cab and associated gubbins seems identical, but as it is one of RT Models several Sentinel kits Mr RT might be a fruitfull contact on matters Sentinel  

I've actually made one of these myself - scroll back a few pages for more info - and will hopefully be doing a test build soon. The RT one looks great, and is better quality that mine will be, but then again, mine's designed to be cheaper and easier to put together 'cos I didn't fancy taking on a metal kit without tools such as rollers and decent soldering gear. The way I've motorised mine is much smaller than necessary for this version of the Sentinel, which got me looking for a smaller one, eventually arriving at the above!

• Like 2

Looking at

11 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

compared to

10 hours ago, webbcompound said:

rt%20models%20pre%20war%20sentinel%203.j

I think the squared nose is mostly decorative.   I can't explain the switch from inside to outside bearings, but the cabs, boilers, & footplates all look identical.    Also consider that Sentinel was a private works more in line with Alco or Baldwin, and kept to standard parts when possible.    

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Also consider that Sentinel was a private works more in line with Alco or Baldwin, 

I should think they'd be rather flattered, given the difference in scale of their operations and product!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

This is a Sentinel used at Cambridge Gasworks, what I'm interested in is the tank and engine cover. Does anyone have any more info or photos of this style of Sentinel? I've seen images of a couple of others, with slightly different chassis arrangements, but I'm thinking it would make a nice model. I'm aware 'Gasbag' is at Ribble, so may be worth a visit at some point.

Photo pinched from http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/sentinel/sentinel.htm, well worth a read if you like these quirky locos.

I've often thought of modelling one of those but the problem that I have no solution to is how to model the drive chain? On the opposite side, and on the outside of the wheels, there is a huge roller chain, running on sprockets and linking the two axles together. I suppose if you only ever see this side of the locomotive then no one will know.

• Like 1