TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

Hm, maybe I am underestimating the haulage capacity a bit! The loco is older than it looks, built 1862, one of the first to have a cab roof apparently, so it can't be particularly powerful. I would imagine they had nearly as many traction problems with the real thing as I did with the model. All I can say is the model copes with as many wagons as will fit on my test track, one of which had plastic wheels and a battery in it, so I reckon up to four 4-wheel coaches would be manageable, unless they're extra heavy whitemetal specimens. Starting a train on a curve may also be a struggle.

I've just finished off a few modifications to the CAD drawings, mainly to make it easier to add weight. I then need to write some instructions for the kit. Oh, and detail and paint it... Mustn't let it find its way onto the unfinished projects pile.

• Like 3

Hm, maybe I am underestimating the haulage capacity a bit! The loco is older than it looks, built 1862, one of the first to have a cab roof apparently, so it can't be particularly powerful. I would imagine they had nearly as many traction problems with the real thing as I did with the model. All I can say is the model copes with as many wagons as will fit on my test track, one of which had plastic wheels and a battery in it, so I reckon up to four 4-wheel coaches would be manageable, unless they're extra heavy whitemetal specimens. Starting a train on a curve may also be a struggle.

I've just finished off a few modifications to the CAD drawings, mainly to make it easier to add weight. I then need to write some instructions for the kit. Oh, and detail and paint it... Mustn't let it find its way onto the unfinished projects pile.

Looks like a great branch passenger loco for the West Norfolk; 4 old, short, 4-wheelers would be ideal for it.

I look forward to it going into production.

Managed to weigh the Neilson today, with old one with steel/Liquid Gravity in was 100g, the new one with lead in is about 180g. I think I'm going to have to release some sort of statement with the kits saying it doesn't work without lead. Does that make me responsible for lead poisoning? Maybe it'll make people mad enough to buy more of my kits...

Some more wheels and axles arrived for the SECR 313 and another chassis I'm working on, so I've got plenty of things to do once I finish exams.

Managed to weigh the Neilson today, with old one with steel/Liquid Gravity in was 100g, the new one with lead in is about 180g. I think I'm going to have to release some sort of statement with the kits saying it doesn't work without lead. Does that make me responsible for lead poisoning? Maybe it'll make people mad enough to buy more of my kits...

Some more wheels and axles arrived for the SECR 313 and another chassis I'm working on, so I've got plenty of things to do once I finish exams.

Hi TS,

It's mercury for madness but with a density of 13593 kg/m3 it would do the job if t didn't run out of the body shell !

Your'e still better off with tungsten though.

Gibbo.

I've been thinking a lot lately about where I go next with this 3D printing lark. I think I want to move away from doing my own chassis for a while (I'll go back to it at some point, but body-only models are much easier to design). That leaves me looking for some suitable chassis and prototypes to go on them. 

I've come up with a few options after some of my own research and some info shared on various RMWeb threads, so I'm interested to see what you good folks would want. Alternative suggestions are also welcome, but the short answer is that if I don't want one, it probably won't get made! Here are the chassis I'm interested in so far, with some possible projects (and a few already underway). This is not a promise to produce the following locos!

Electrotren 0-6-0 chassis (3ft 6in wheels, outside cylinders, 5ft + 6ft wheelbase)

- Industrial Fox Walker - loosely based on the KESR 'Minnie' (already designed)

- Mystery loco (shh!)

Modified Electrotren 0-4-0 chassis (shortened 0-6-0, 3ft 6in wheels, outside cylinders, 5ft wheelbase)

- Various Neilson 0-4-0s ('standard' class H, etc.)

- Possible 0-4-2s, maybe freelance

Hornby Railroad Jinty 0-6-0 (4ft 10in wheels, inside cylinders, 7ft9in + 8ft 3in wheelbase)

- SER R Class

- SER O Class

Hornby Railroad 0-4-0 (I'm designing a simple modification to change the gearing and add a flywheel to make it run nicely, approx. 8ft wheelbase)

- erm...

Oxford Rail Dean Goods 0-6-0 (5ft 2in wheels, inside cylinders, 7ft 3in + 8ft 3in wheelbase)

- SER R Class (more accurate chassis but more expensive)

- SER O Class

The only one of this chassis I don't currently own is the Oxford Dean (it's a bit too Western for me...). I'd welcome any other suggestions for locos to fit any of those chassis, or alternative chassis (bear in mind, I am more easily persuaded towards the South East and odd small industrial locos).

I did think about adding the proposed SECR Atlantic to the list, but the Bachmann C1 chassis is very expensive, so that might become an in-house chassis model further down the line. I also intend to do the SECR Crane Tank at some point, although again I would have to design a chassis for it (I have half a CAD model done from a while ago).

• Like 3

Now in primer, the Neilson and an R class. As mentioned in the previous post, I've started hacking up a Railroad Jinty chassis to sit under the R class, maybe getting replaced with an Oxford Rail Dean Goods one if I find some money down the back of the sofa sometime.

post-25124-0-96369900-1547573633_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

First draft of the Neilson instructions are done, still one more picture to add of the finished model, but since I haven't finished it yet it'll have to wait! I've proofread it a few times, but I know how it's supposed to be assembled so there may well be a few unclear sections in there. If anyone would be willing to have a quick flick through and see if I'm babbling on about nonsense again, I would be very grateful!

Now to finish the actual model...

TS07 Neilson 2-2-2T.pdf

Now that R class would look nice in 'N' ;)

Bad luck, it's a heavily modified Wrenn example - I've actually been doing some proper RTR-bashing! More info on it in the other thread in my signature if you're interested. 

But I may still consider doing a 3D printed R class body as I want a couple more and the Wrenn-bashing was a lot of faff. Just need to decide on a chassis first...

• Like 1

Hi TS.

With regard to adhesion problems for the Nielson would it be a possible idea to adapt a Black Beetle power bogie or similar to drive the carrying wheels and have the actual driving wheels un-driven and lightly sprung ?

This one has 40mm wheel base

http://www.3smr.co.uk/BBdata.pdf

There are various types on the website that may adapt.

http://motorbogies.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Just a thought, and thoughts are free !

Gibbo.

Hi TS.

With regard to adhesion problems for the Nielson would it be a possible idea to adapt a Black Beetle power bogie or similar to drive the carrying wheels and have the actual driving wheels un-driven and lightly sprung ?

This one has 40mm wheel base

http://www.3smr.co.uk/BBdata.pdf

There are various types on the website that may adapt.

http://motorbogies.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Just a thought, and thoughts are free !

Gibbo.

That's not something I'd thought of, you'd need a long motor bogie though, a quick measure up puts the wheelbase at 46mm. It's possible, but now I've got it working I'm less inclined to look at other possibilities! I did initially consider having the 4 smaller wheels driving, but gave up on that after I couldn't find any way of getting the same speed at both ends within the space available.

Bad luck, it's a heavily modified Wrenn example - I've actually been doing some proper RTR-bashing! More info on it in the other thread in my signature if you're interested. 

But I may still consider doing a 3D printed R class body as I want a couple more and the Wrenn-bashing was a lot of faff. Just need to decide on a chassis first...

###### ;)

evidently if you type rugger but with a B the profanity police substitute it for ######

Edited by Gareth Collier
  • Like 1

###### ;)

evidently if you type rugger but with a B the profanity police substitute it for ######

The schoolboy in me is already thinking of ways to get around that filter...

Post 442 gives away the chassis plans I have, having sidelined my own 3D printed R1 chassis plans until I can get the hang of the 0-6-0 conrods - I think I've got 0-4-0 ones down now. If I'm going to do an O class based on a Jinty chassis or Dean Goods then I might as well do the original R class as it has essentially the same chassis.

• Like 1

Laptop going into surgery. It's been getting more and more broken recently, now the plastic has completely broken around the hinge so the screen isn't held in any more. Given that it handles all my Uni work and all my CAD stuff, this fix has to work or I'm a bit stuffed.

post-25124-0-93452800-1547846780_thumb.jpg

Last night's laptop fix seems to have worked, not sure we're completely out of the woods yet, but it seems to be holding ok, which is good as there's no way I'd be able to afford to replace it. The hinge is now bolted to a steel bracket so should be much stronger than the old plastic connectors.

Now back to modelling!

post-25124-0-12185900-1547891397_thumb.jpg

Don't tempt me... Where am I going to find driving wheels that small?! 

Hi TS,

As original the drivers were 3'9" or you could use a motor bogie as suggested the other day. It is so small you might get away with it.

Gibbo.

Hi TS,

As original the drivers were 3'9" or you could use a motor bogie as suggested the other day. It is so small you might get away with it.

Gibbo.

I don't fancy making that as a 2-2-2, nowhere near enough space to add weight! A motor bogie would probably be best, but how to attach the conrods? One to think about.

• RMweb Gold

Hi TS,

Gibbo.

As an 0-4-2T, the drivers were 2’3”!

N gauge worm and wheel of fine pitch (100 dp or 0.3 mod) are indicated.

Edited by Regularity

Some people have been asking me for some time what my list of 3D printed kits is, so I'm finally giving in and listing what I've got so far. Some are in development, some have stalled and some are ready for sale! Here's the list, including some hitherto unmentioned projects:

TS01 - Freelance Maunsell-inspired diesel shunter 0-4-0

Status - Available from Shapeways or direct from me

TS02 - R/R1 chassis for Wrenn body

Status - Models complete, but on hold until I can sort out issues with the conrods binding (probably finding an alternative manufacturing method). Not currently being worked on.

TS03 - Hornby Slow-4-0 (cheap regearing/remotoring parts for the Hornby 'pocket rocket')

Status - Plan done and test fitted, CAD yet to be started. Not currently being worked on.

TS04 - SECR Crane Tank

Status - Basic chassis design complete, body not yet started. Not currently being worked on.

TS05 - Rail Rover (Oxford Diecast Land Rover Series II motorisation)

Status - Development models made, but needs a different motorisation strategy. Not currently being worked on, although I have just been made aware of a new source of micro motors...

TS06 - SECR F/F1/B1 Class

Status - Models done and available to order once I've finished writing the instructions.

Estimated price - £70 (body, chassis, motor, gears)

TS07 - Neilson 2-2-2T

Status - Models done and available to order once I've finished writing the instructions (draft available in a previous post).

Estimated price - £50 (body, chassis, motor, gears, driving wheel centres)

TS08 - Furness Railway Sharp Stewart 0-4-0ST

Status - CAD done, test model currently being built by SkinnyLinny

Estimated price - £45 (body, chassis, motor, gears)

TS09 - Fox Walker Industrial (for Electrotren 0-6-0 chassis)

Status - CAD complete, model needs test fitting to chassis. Special Edition M&GN/WNR version for Edwardian completed.

Estimated price - £35 (body only)

TS10 - SECR Manning Wardle 313 0-4-0ST

Status - CAD complete, test build to start soon. May redesign chassis for a smaller motor.

TS11 - Neilson variant for Electrotren 0-6-0 chassis

Status - CAD complete, model needs test fitting to chassis

Estimated price - £35 (body only)

Probable future projects

SER O class (original version, for Oxford Rail Dean Goods chassis)

Manning Wardle 'standard' classes (for modified Electrotren 0-4-0 chassis)

There's also plenty of other projects that I'm interested in, but I don't want to make any promises I can't keep!

I'm hoping to have TS06, TS07, TS08, TS09 and TS11 released in the next month or so, depending how the test builds go. I've got exams and assessment centres happening until early Feb, so I'll be able to get back to the important modelling work after that!
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

TurboSnail, had you given any more thought to scaling the Sharp Stewart Furness 0-4-0ST up to 7mm scale please? Have a friend who is also potentially interested in a 7mm print of one if you do consider it.

Good luck with the exams and assessment centres!

• Like 1