TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

Ok, livestream tonight from 9pm, assuming I get back home in time. Hope to see some of you there! (Otherwise I'll be talking to myself as usual :P).

To take part in the live chat, view the video on YouTube (click the YouTube icon in the bottom right corner of the video once it's going).

<the video used to be here. For an explanation of why it isn't, see next post>

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 3

Abort Abort Abort! For whatever reason, YouTube has decided that my channel no longer meets their arbitrary criteria to enable mobile livestreaming (which is what I used last time so this must be a recent change). However the phone is currently the only camera I have, so nothing is happening tonight. Apologies, I will try and find a workaround for another time. Maybe I'm just not popular enough...

• Friendly/supportive 5

Right, let's try that again! Going live from 8pm tonight. Thanks to Gary, I think I've got the livestreaming working now, at least when I tested it just now. 

Once again, to access the live chat, click on the YouTube icon in the bottom right corner of the video.

• Like 2

Thanks those that tuned into the stream tonight, we had a loco going from raw print to running on the test track in about 45 minutes! Not quite record time but not bad either. I'll do posts on here with some of the other news over the next few days too. The stream is also available to watch back if you're particularly bored (linked a few posts ago), the speed up option may come in handy for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So instead of finishing existing projects, I made a start on a new one - a semi-freelance Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0st. The CAD was done a while back and the physical model emerged last night. It's not a great print really, but I reckon I can make it into a half-decent model with a bit of tlc. 

It sits on a shortened Electrotren chassis with 14mm wheels - I like the slightly cartoony proportions, although I guess it might not be to everyone's taste.

IMG_20190410_093750.jpg.61490d4ac1f736d951f4fb72bf37a118.jpg

IMG_20190410_093812.jpg.0211cb32846a629be086681c83b21232.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, TurboSnail said:

So instead of finishing existing projects, I made a start on a new one - a semi-freelance Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0st. The CAD was done a while back and the physical model emerged last night. It's not a great print really, but I reckon I can make it into a half-decent model with a bit of tlc. 

It sits on a shortened Electrotren chassis with 14mm wheels - I like the slightly cartoony proportions, although I guess it might not be to everyone's taste.

IMG_20190410_093750.jpg.61490d4ac1f736d951f4fb72bf37a118.jpg

IMG_20190410_093812.jpg.0211cb32846a629be086681c83b21232.jpg

Hi TS,

It looks better in the above photos than it did on last evenings YouTube video. Your locomotive has just the right look of a small lightly built 0-4-0 with quite large wheels that also a cab and tank of its own styling.

I have to say you really do go for it on the home made front, well done for that. I have always enjoyed kit bashing and scratch building for what I would guess are similar reasons, so much better than opening a box that came from Chinese factory.

Must dash, the lunacy of BAA wagons await.

Gibbo.

12 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

It looks better in the above photos than it did on last evenings YouTube video. Your locomotive has just the right look of a small lightly built 0-4-0 with quite large wheels that also a cab and tank of its own styling.

I have to say you really do go for it on the home made front, well done for that. I have always enjoyed kit bashing and scratch building for what I would guess are similar reasons, so much better than opening a box that came from Chinese factory.

I was going for a design that was primarily a lightweight shunter, but the owners wanted it to do the occasional short trip outside the colliery, to local goods yards and between sites etc, hence the slightly larger wheels for a higher top speed. Of course, it helps that the local lines are operated by the SECR and don't run that fast anyway...

I do like doing the freelance stuff, but a large part of the reason I do it is a lack of decent drawings - I'll find a photo of a loco I like, but then be unable to find proper dimensions for it, so I just end up semi-freelancing it. Either that, or I want it to fit an RTR chassis as I can't be bothered to design my own :P

2 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

I was going for a design that was primarily a lightweight shunter, but the owners wanted it to do the occasional short trip outside the colliery, to local goods yards and between sites etc, hence the slightly larger wheels for a higher top speed. Of course, it helps that the local lines are operated by the SECR and don't run that fast anyway...

I do like doing the freelance stuff, but a large part of the reason I do it is a lack of decent drawings - I'll find a photo of a loco I like, but then be unable to find proper dimensions for it, so I just end up semi-freelancing it. Either that, or I want it to fit an RTR chassis as I can't be bothered to design my own :P

Hi TS,

I have to say at the rate, quality and enthusiasm that you produce models I don't see too much evidence of can't be bothered.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

Someone sound the non-pre-grouping alarm!

Another project on the go is this, the smallest loco I've ever built - if you can call it a loco. The motorisation works nicely, but I need to swap the wheels for something more conductive. 

Depending where I go with other models, this chassis type may form the basis of other locos, such as small diesels etc.

IMG_20190411_094720.jpg.f63a3627e4e5427cbeaa80308245854d.jpg

IMG_20190411_094800.jpg.699e622e1109df184c66e47094f43af6.jpg

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

52 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Amazing! Would you mind telling us what components you used?

I mean, obviously I can see them, but was wondering where you got them from :)

I can't remember where I got the wheels from, the pickups are phosphor bronze sheet, the gears are from a Tenshodo SPUD and the motor is from Tramfabriek (but is quite expensive). You can find cheaper 0816 motors on eBay. I haven't tested it for speed yet as the wheels don't conduct electricity very well, but I suspect it will be quite fast - small, high-ratio gears are hard to find.

I'd be quite happy to produce modified versions of that chassis with different wheelbases if that's the way you were thinking... :P I have plans for lots of variants of this chassis for small locos and scratchbuilders.

Edited by TurboSnail

• RMweb Gold

Thank you! I've used one of those tramfabriek motors in the Bagnall, pretty good! I'd not seen the dual output ones before.

Was thinking a land rover could make a good candidate for an RC conversion with a micro battery in the back.

52 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Thank you! I've used one of those tramfabriek motors in the Bagnall, pretty good! I'd not seen the dual output ones before.

Was thinking a land rover could make a good candidate for an RC conversion with a micro battery in the back.

Good luck is all I can say! There's no room at all in the 88", especially if you put a receiver/ESC combo in it. Might have more luck with a 109" though.

1 hour ago, AVS1998 said:

Water gauge I believe. 

Hi AVS,

Water gauges are fitted so that the bottom nut of the gauge glass is approximately 1.5" - 2" above the crown of the inner firebox and depending upon the length of the boiler the glasses themselves are 5" - 7" between the gland nuts. I would suggest that the stripey thing is a little high for a water gauge.

Gibbo.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TurboSnail said:

I shall leave this as a mystery,,, although it's worth pointing out that water gauges are exactly the sort of thing I wouldn't know much about the exact placement of :sorry:

The water gauge has the be aligned with the permissible range of water in the boiler, with pipes connecting it to top and bottom.

You don’t need to much about the exact placement: very simple physics states that the gauge can only show the level of water if it is parallel to the end of the firebox.

Or you could look it up on the web, or even a book.

boiler-mountings-accessories-2-638.jpg?c

Edited by Regularity
Add diagram
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 hours ago, Regularity said:

The water gauge has the be aligned with the permissible range of water in the boiler, with pipes connecting it to top and bottom.

You don’t need to much about the exact placement: very simple physics states that the gauge can only show the level of water if it is parallel to the end of the firebox.

Or you could look it up on the web, or even a book.

boiler-mountings-accessories-2-638.jpg?c

Thanks for that, I now consider myself re-educated! And it makes sense if you stop and think about the physics. Unfortunately I can't modify the Sharpie without making a mess of the cab, but I know for future models.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Thanks for that, I now consider myself re-educated! And it makes sense if you stop and think about the physics.

Every day’s a school day... 

But as you say, it is also about the physics. As modellers we tend to forget that sometimes that is all that determines something on the prototype, so the easiest way to get this right is to study the prototype and copy it.