TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

3 hours ago, Ruston said:

I was at the VCT, at Ingrow, Yesterday and took a good look at Lord Mayor. It doesn't have the 'raised section' on the tank. It isn't a raised section really but is just where the plates overlap and Lord Mayor's tank wrapper is made from one piece of sheet, rather than three. Lord Mayor also has the same type of safety valves as those in the photos above.

Something to bear in mind is that the TVR loco and Lord Mayor are tiny things with smaller wheels (2ft. 9in as opposed to 3ft. 3in. of the Peckett), shorter wheelbase and smaller cylinders than the Peckett W4 that will provide the chassis, so what you have in the model isn't really like the TVR loco, or Lord Mayor at all. I think the one below would be a much better basis for the model if you just change the safety valve cover, drop the buffer beams so their tops are flush with the running plate and add the springs above it.

Sorry, I don't think I explained myself properly - the model started off as a the Taff Vale loco, with bits added from Lord Mayor when I couldn't see the details in drawings or photos. It was built to run on the Electrotren chassis (with the wheels being far too large). This is the model that was built on this thread a few pages back, pictured below. The Hardy's model was then adapted from this, but is bigger in the major dimensions to fit the Peckett chassis, as you suggest. It's about 1' longer, with a larger, higher saddle tank but not based on any particular loco, just to fit in with the general style.

So it's a fictitious loco really - perfect to go with those new Hatton's Pre-Grouping coaches :sarcastic:

Changing the footplate is probably a bit too big of a step to make at this stage, but I can sort out the safety valves and other small bits. The springs and underside of the boiler are not modelled at all, as they are part of the Peckett chassis - I'm yet to see enough details of the prototype loco to know if this lines up well enough, so it might get modified later on. I might also make the single-sheet tank as another variant. 

image.png.ebb7b7199671606966f1f64c377f940d.png

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I know I've still got some ongoing projects, but I'm in the process of considering what kits to work on next. So I thought I'd ask for some input! These are some I have in mind, but am also open to suggestions - you'll notice all of these have four driving wheels and inside cylinders, because that makes it easier to get my chassis design working...

- LCDR Second Sondes - outside framed 2-4-0t, I have no drawings but do have some good photos. Very similar to the Aeolus, Ruby and Rose classes

- GER M15/LNER F4 - 2-4-2t, not sure why I like this, I just do.... No drawings, some photos

- LNWR 4ft shunter - 0-4-0st, no drawings but could always go to Crewe and measure up...

- SER Crane Tank - 0-4-0ct, could also be done as a craneless tank. Have drawings!

Any thoughts? Or alternative suggestions? I run a freelance railway so will consider almost anything! :) Except GWR obviously...

Edited by TurboSnail

On 16/10/2019 at 20:03, TurboSnail said:

More loco bodies on the way - a couple of them could even be called pre-grouping! Extra nerd points available for those who can correctly identify all of them... 

image.png.42594b47b7ffb982395413397f3bcf99.png

I claim my enthusiast's points, third from left is half a Cornwall Minerals Railway back to back paired 0-6-0 by Beyer Peacock I think.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've challenged myself to add a more cab detail in the NER Class H/LNER Y7 than I usually do since it's a semi-open cab. It's a bit of an experiment into what will and won't print. As such, it's a bit heavy-handed, but hopefully will look alright when shrunk down to 4mm scale.

image.png.beb521f6779eea745dd27496868ae373.png

image.png.93767027a7487b510f1b0fdc7a20cbaf.png

image.png.500478f2541198d9f7f7507f8f4f9c49.png

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

9 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

I've challenged myself to add a more cab detail in the NER Class H/LNER Y7 than I usually do since it's a semi-open cab. It's a bit of an experiment into what will and won't print. As such, it's a bit heavy-handed, but hopefully will look alright when shrunk down to 4mm scale.

image.png.beb521f6779eea745dd27496868ae373.png

image.png.93767027a7487b510f1b0fdc7a20cbaf.png

image.png.500478f2541198d9f7f7507f8f4f9c49.png

Hi Tom,

I note that there are two gauges in the cab, is the locomotive vacuum braked ?

You are churning the work out at quite some rate, well done.

Gibbo

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Tom,

I note that there are two gauges in the cab, is the locomotive vacuum braked ?

You are churning the work out at quite some rate, well done.

Gibbo

Thanks, I'm hoping I've not sacrificed too much quality by making things in quantity - not much use having lots of CAD if I can't make it into the real thing at some point! I'm working on that though, so watch this space...

I'll admit I'm not sure about the cab gauges, the photo I've been working from is from a fairly sharp angle so I can't read the writing, but it's definitely there on the preserved loco (the NER liveried one, not sure how true it is to actual NER condition). Some photos show vacuum pipes and some don't, and it doesn't appear to be related to the date of the photo, so it might be a case of some batches being built with vacuum brakes and some without.

• Like 1

Just spent my work day catching up with your thread.   Real enjoyable work, man, and great to see someone else near my age being (or trying to be, in my case) original.   I'll probably drop the $70 for the 1800 in the near-ish future.

Have you considered an Angliscized Porter as a fitment for the Electrotren?  I have absolutely nothing to support this in reality.   I think it may flow along your ideas I've seen, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

Just spent my work day catching up with your thread.   Real enjoyable work, man, and great to see someone else near my age being (or trying to be, in my case) original.   I'll probably drop the $70 for the 1800 in the near-ish future.

Have you considered an Angliscized Porter as a fitment for the Electrotren?  I have absolutely nothing to support this in reality.   I think it may flow along your ideas I've seen, though.

Thanks, glad to know you're enjoying it. I'm hoping to have a build video of the 1800 up in the next couple of weeks if you want a closer look.

Haven't really heard of the Porter locos, might have to do some research on that one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You could get pretty little ones, too.00E2724B-C6B3-4F96-BA67-38D4C531D72A.jpeg.b1b17fa2274cf500bb32cb1fc8480163.jpeg

It just struck me that’s a Forney, not a porter, oh well, do one of them instead?

Found a nice little Porter, it says it on it.

80AAFAC4-636B-465D-95B1-A0A437669603.jpeg.c7c0c806c0d04a451f3fd5f7631816cc.jpeg

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 4

If anyone's sick of me banging on about the Hardy's locos, then you might want to skip this post!

I've had my sample prints of the Hudswell Clarke PLA/1800 class come in, so I thought I'd show what comes in a kit. Firstly, the main body - I think this comes with the support material removed (at least, mine did), with just a couple of minor areas to clean up. Then there's the roof, with support material still attached so it doesn't warp in transit. A 'sprue' with all the detail bits is included, with sandboxes, driver figures, springs, valves, filler caps etc. (plus extras depending on what loco is in the kit). With production kits, you also get all the handrail knobs, wire, smokebox dart, mounting hardware, cosmetic coupling hooks and any other bits you need to finish the loco, so all you need to add is the donor RTR chassis. Mine is a review model, so I just got the printed bits. I'll probably make a build video or livestream of this loco at some point soon, so keep an eye out for that!

The cost for most of the models in the range is £45, which I think is pretty reasonable compared to the cost of similar resin bodykits available - plus you get all the detail parts included. Add an Electrotren chassis if you don't already have one (and if not, why not?!) for about £50 and you have a loco with a comparable cost to an equivalent RTR loco - with the difference that you get to say you built this yourself and have a prototype that most RTR manufacturers wouldn't consider making!

Apologies if I sound like a salesman - I'm genuinely very pleased with how this has turned out! Remains to be seen if anyone actually buys them though...

image.png.9f710c66c58d89363e7b894e0ea3c3fa.png

image.png.7755f976b6793cea58c8925a2634ca17.png

image.png.773ea2d3a6effe3749546f3bb5a19b0c.png

image.png.325342fb4a43c962126f07cfce7f6292.png

image.png.bd1806e01b37b6b2d792cfbd97c661f5.png

• Like 10

1 hour ago, TurboSnail said:

If anyone's sick of me banging on about the Hardy's locos, then you might want to skip this post!

I've had my sample prints of the Hudswell Clarke PLA/1800 class come in, so I thought I'd show what comes in a kit. Firstly, the main body - I think this comes with the support material removed (at least, mine did), with just a couple of minor areas to clean up. Then there's the roof, with support material still attached so it doesn't warp in transit. A 'sprue' with all the detail bits is included, with sandboxes, driver figures, springs, valves, filler caps etc. (plus extras depending on what loco is in the kit). With production kits, you also get all the handrail knobs, wire, smokebox dart, mounting hardware, cosmetic coupling hooks and any other bits you need to finish the loco, so all you need to add is the donor RTR chassis. Mine is a review model, so I just got the printed bits. I'll probably make a build video or livestream of this loco at some point soon, so keep an eye out for that!

The cost for most of the models in the range is £45, which I think is pretty reasonable compared to the cost of similar resin bodykits available - plus you get all the detail parts included. Add an Electrotren chassis if you don't already have one (and if not, why not?!) for about £50 and you have a loco with a comparable cost to an equivalent RTR loco - with the difference that you get to say you built this yourself and have a prototype that most RTR manufacturers wouldn't consider making!

Apologies if I sound like a salesman - I'm genuinely very pleased with how this has turned out! Remains to be seen if anyone actually buys them though...

image.png.9f710c66c58d89363e7b894e0ea3c3fa.png

image.png.7755f976b6793cea58c8925a2634ca17.png

image.png.773ea2d3a6effe3749546f3bb5a19b0c.png

image.png.325342fb4a43c962126f07cfce7f6292.png

image.png.bd1806e01b37b6b2d792cfbd97c661f5.png

Not sorry at all to see more news of your collaboration with Hardies.

It's a great idea, well designed and executed and good value.  The inclusion of crew is a great idea.

I'm just waiting for the range to work its way back to my period of interest. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

22 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I believe Porter made some of the Forneys, but I am probably wrong.  Still that second image @Northroader posted is small, but typical of Porter's designs.

A porter built forney?

C-TPC1_l.jpg

A bit ugly, but there were some.

I think your Hudswell looks very good, my only thought is that I'd personally rather see the buffers as separate parts on sprues (allows you to put nice turned ones on if you like - you'll not get printed ones as robust, thin and sharp) it would also make your kit more robust for posting.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I'm just waiting for the range to work its way back to my period of interest. 

Watch this space! I am gently persuading folks that pre-grouping things are an under-served niche... I'm not going to share too much for now, but this is not the only one in the works.

image.png.b8974c3d1b031b01ed2e6836e0ce7955.png

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Watch this space! I am gently persuading folks that pre-grouping things are an under-served niche... I'm not going to share too much for now, but this is not the only one in the works.

Now the Black, Hawthorn 0-4-0ST of c. 1875 - per Huntley & Palmers' A & B - would be very nice! I know there's a High Level kit for this type, with some detail differences:

1846849368_HPlocomotiveAc1900crop.jpg.2a309e8fc3d774b5f50990fd2bedaa2f.jpg

Cropped from a photo on the Huntley & Palmers Collection website.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Now the Black, Hawthorn 0-4-0ST of c. 1875 - per Huntley & Palmers' A & B - would be very nice! I know there's a High Level kit for this type, with some detail differences:

Indeed! Gorgeous loco!

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

It would be lovely, but I'm not sure I can justify it from a commercial perspective. The kit is £89 (I would know, I've been planning to get one, or one of their Neilsons), plus the required wheels and gears would take it to somewhere in the region of £120-140, depending on what sort of motor you went for. 

Whereas if you're looking at £45 for a printed body kit, plus £90 for a Peckett W4 donor chassis, it's a bit too close for comfort really, especially given the nickel/brass construction of the High Level model would have much finer detail. I think I'd also rather keep away from models that already have kits available, just to try and increase the amount of prototypes available - I'm not saying no, but unfortunately it's not a priority!

Between High Level and CSP Models, there are a lot of little locos that I'd otherwise have considered producing! I've never built a kit from either company, but they look great and I definitely will at some point - either a Black Hawthorn, Neilson 12" or Avonside B3. All not unreasonably priced either.

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was going to make this post a joke about how I'd got rid of all my SECR stock and was going post-grouping GWR. I was then going to compound this by saying I'd started my new collection by buying the most accurate, highly detailed model I could find, the Oxford Rail Dean Goods. However, you'll be glad to know I'm not going to write either of those things, on account of it being too much heresy, even for me!

I have actually bought a Dean Goods though. But I'm getting rid of the bad bits and keeping the good chassis, with a better (i.e South Eastern) body on it, of course.

IMG_20191026_111232.jpg.a27ee450b05d5d8f62cea54aa6acfd74.jpg

IMG_20191026_113127.jpg.42e9f1a5845d515cd2b084e6d74dc960.jpg

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

I was going to make this post a joke about how I'd got rid of all my SECR stock and was going post-grouping GWR. I was then going to compound this by saying I'd started my new collection by buying the most accurate, highly detailed model I could find, the Oxford Rail Dean Goods. However, you'll be glad to know I'm not going to write either of those things, on account of it being too much heresy, even for me!

I have actually bought a Dean Goods though. But I'm getting rid of the bad bits and keeping the good chassis, with a better (i.e South Eastern) body on it, of course.

IMG_20191026_111232.jpg.a27ee450b05d5d8f62cea54aa6acfd74.jpg

IMG_20191026_113127.jpg.42e9f1a5845d515cd2b084e6d74dc960.jpg

I suspect that you are going to produce an O and/or O1 body for this?

I have long mused on using the Golden Arrow resin O1 body and tender.  It pre-dates the Oxford Dean and, IIRC, is designed to fit the Hornby 4F 0-6-0 chassis.

However, I believe that the Dean would be a better fit. You are only an inch (0.3mm) out between each centre.

5’2”                  7’4” + 8’2”        SER O/O1 Class

5’2”                  7’3” + 8’3”        GWR Dean Goods

Oxford will, I suspect, have produced 5'2" wheels (representing the post-Grouping increase on the Dean due to tyres).  If so, that better fits the O/O1 than Dean's original 5', of course, with wear, 5' would be acceptable in any case. 

I would certainly beat a path to your door for these. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I suspect that you are going to produce an O and/or O1 body for this?

That is indeed the plan, although out of selfish interest, I plan to do an original R class first. Then the O class. Buy one chassis, get two locos out of it!

Someone may well be working on either loco for an RTR release given the popularity of the SE&CR at the moment, but I may as well have a go, given that I might have quite a few for future planned layouts.

Another reason for choosing the Oxford Dean is that I hear it runs quite well - mine has a flywheel and space to add a second if desired.

• Like 2