TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

I've often thought of modelling one of those but the problem that I have no solution to is how to model the drive chain?

To be honest, I think my solution will be to not bother. To save myself reworking my chassis design, I'd keep the outside frames from my existing model. Plenty of Sentinels were built with that outside frame style with many variations on the superstructure, so I don't think it's implausible that one or two would have been built with outside frames and the cylindrical tank. Plausible freelance is the aim here, unless I change my mind again when I get round to modelling it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/11/2019 at 12:44, TurboSnail said:

There's a couple of other things to get through the test build queue first, but it shouldn't be too long...

Was there a version without condensing pipes? All the photos I've seen (admittedly not many, but both LCDR and SECR condition) have them.

Hi TS,

Just caught up this interesting thread.

The Class F, the Second Sondes.  According to D. L. Bradley in The Locomotive History of the London, Chatham & Dover Railway states they were all built with condensers and used on the Widened Lines, but in 1901 Nos 518 &523, (originally LCDR 59 &64), were sent without condensing gear to the Isle of Sheppey.  (There is a picture of 523 in this condition.)  The others were also sent out of London and they were all reboilered in 1905- 7, but there is no mention of the condensing pipes being kept or removed on the others.

Hope this helps.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for the Sondes info - I've got wheels on order, so hopefully I can start building my model shortly.

In other news, I've had a go with transfers for the first time in ages, not turned out too badly. The blue livery will change to grey for future wagons and I'm not 100% sure about the text layout, but it's a start.

IMG_20200202_122315.jpg.fc114202c4a0ad3cdf3fc73d7f877cbc.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Continuing my inability to focus on one project for more than a day or so, I'm doing some more work on the Sentinel 'Gasbag'. Main bits are together, so it's on to the detailing now. The mechanism isn't quite fully hidden, but I can deal with that with a toolbox or sandbox. I think I might be able to mimic the drive chain with some black thread? If so, I need to design some wheel centres to go with it too.

image.png.82d4b42a2fdb56ad1206f643be1e114a.png

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

Continuing my inability to focus on one project for more than a day or so, I'm doing some more work on the Sentinel 'Gasbag'. Main bits are together, so it's on to the detailing now. The mechanism isn't quite fully hidden, but I can deal with that with a toolbox or sandbox. I think I might be able to mimic the drive chain with some black thread? If so, I need to design some wheel centres to go with it too.

image.png.82d4b42a2fdb56ad1206f643be1e114a.png

Hi Tom,

I remember Gasbag from Carnforth many years ago, happy days !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Warning - slightly salesman-y post coming up!

I've been working on these for a while, the SER d1741 2-plank ballast wagon, in use up to the 30s. Now available as a kit for £9, or 2 for £16, add Gibson wheels and bearings to complete. If you would like one, do get in touch via ts3dmodels@gmail.com

P1000388s.jpg.d2f56205ee133684f1bd03110eadf5fb.jpg

P1000383s.jpg.c567fb3244b0182cf9debb709c8f675a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TurboSnail said:

Warning - slightly salesman-y post coming up!

I've been working on these for a while, the SER d1741 2-plank ballast wagon, in use up to the 30s. Now available as a kit for £9, or 2 for £16, add Gibson wheels and bearings to complete. If you would like one, do get in touch via ts3dmodels@gmail.com

P1000388s.jpg.d2f56205ee133684f1bd03110eadf5fb.jpg

P1000383s.jpg.c567fb3244b0182cf9debb709c8f675a.jpg

Looking fantastic, if I may say so! Payday tomorrow.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Big thanks to everyone who's ordered a ballast wagon, I wasn't expecting such enthusiasm so I ran out of Orange resin! Production has now switched to green, and there'll be no rest for my printer for a couple more days. It's really encouraging to know that other people are interested in what I'm doing, and gives me the motivation to get on with some more models :)

IMG_20200217_220635.jpg

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been a bit quiet lately as I'm down on modelling mojo, but I'm slowly getting back into things. In the meantime, another Hardy's Hobbies kit has been released, the 100hp Sentinel to fit the Ruston 48DS chassis. Other body styles *might* be available in time, and I'm still working on my own version with a custom chassis for those who don't happen to have a spare Ruston lying around (though they're not the most expensive locos to buy new).

My test build (on a 48DS chassis):

image.png.79ce4efabb8ed9e837859883a44e6317.png

Hardy's version:

image.png.6acc0ebf898e682220d762a032f87028.png

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 7

And some more of my own work - I've recently finished a video series covering the whole development of one of my wagon kits. Said kit is now finished, and looks a bit like this!

image.png.43aaf729ef8a04a085e20923291df587.png

And if you're in desperate need of some timewasting material, there's a video of it being built here:

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

And some more of my own work - I've recently finished a video series covering the whole development of one of my wagon kits. Said kit is now finished, and looks a bit like this!

image.png.43aaf729ef8a04a085e20923291df587.png

And if you're in desperate need of some timewasting material, there's a video of it being built here:

Hi Tom,

these are looking fantastic! I've got to ask - are they going to be available as well?

Best regards,

Mark

13 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Tom,

these are looking fantastic! I've got to ask - are they going to be available as well?

Best regards,

Mark

They certainly will be! But I need to fix my printer first, I've spent the last week and a bit chasing errors to no avail. I'll post on here when I've got a few ready, or keep an eye on my (very basic) website here.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

They certainly will be! But I need to fix my printer first, I've spent the last week and a bit chasing errors to no avail. I'll post on here when I've got a few ready, or keep an eye on my (very basic) website here.

Thanks - will do!

Cheers,

Mark

I might have finally fixed my printing issue, which has been getting me down and stealing all my motivation due to my inability to solve it. Not 100% out of the woods yet, but getting there. Here's a list of what I tried, which hopefully goes some way to answering another correspondent, who asked me (in a very outraged tone) how on earth I could possibly justify charging £9 for a wagon that costs £0.65 in resin, and that I was completely RIPPING PEOPLE OFF and being IMORAL (sic). 3D printing is not a simple or cheap operation...

- Issues start

- Relevel bed, try lots of different settings, prints fail

- Change FEP film (cost £8)

- Test print, fail

- Relevel print bed

- Test prints, all failed

- Retry series of test prints with varying settings, all failed, releveling the bed between each one

- Remove all resin, clean up all parts of machine with alcohol

- Reinstall, relevel, test prints, fail

- Try all sorts of prints with different settings, all fail

- By this point, I've used up almost all of a resin bottle (£25)

- Heat printer up by leaving a fan heater on it for a few hours

- Test print, badly peeled print but did stick

- Test print with different settings, unable to repeat partial success

- Replace FEP (£8)

- Full strip down, clean and rebuild of print head assembly

- Test print (still heating up printer beforehand and while running), partial success

- Scuff print head surface with sandpaper whilst held against glass (to keep it flat)

- Resin tank empty and refill with fresh resin, heat

- Test print success! Still with corners lifting, but was a usable print

- Relevel bed, print again, better results

Sanding the bed was a last resort, and I think has mitigated the issue(s) rather than fully solved, but at least I can get back on with my various projects now! I came very close to giving up on several occasions. I think this whole process has cost me around £50, plus a couple of hours work every evening for the last two weeks, so you can appreciate my relief at it working again!

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

42 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

I might have finally fixed my printing issue, which has been getting me down and stealing all my motivation due to my inability to solve it. Not 100% out of the woods yet, but getting there. Here's a list of what I tried, which hopefully goes some way to answering another correspondent, who asked me (in a very outraged tone) how on earth I could possibly justify charging £9 for a wagon that costs £0.65 in resin, and that I was completely RIPPING PEOPLE OFF and being IMORAL (sic). 3D printing is not a simple or cheap operation...

Sanding the bed was a last resort, and I think has mitigated the issue(s) rather than fully solved, but at least I can get back on with my various projects now! I came very close to giving up on several occasions. I think this whole process has cost me around £50, plus a couple of hours work every evening for the last two weeks, so you can appreciate my relief at it working again!

Hi Tom,

Rather unfortunately the world is chock full of ignorant, miserable, selfish people that have never in their lives done anything constructive let alone helped or encouraged others.

To tell you to ignore them is easier said than done, I know this for I have had similar criticisms as you note above levelled at me more than once before.

One solution I do find satisfying is to say to such people, "The tools are there, if you can do better good luck to you !".

Idiots that complain at costs only ever look at the purchase price of an item without having any understanding of the risks and outlays in time and finances incurred in the production of anything at all of any worth. The only rip off that they understand is that they are in the game of ripping you off for your skills and hard work by not wishing to pay for your invested time, money, energy, tooling and learned skills.

If I were you I would do them the favour of saving them their money by refusing to sell them the "ever so expensive" items that they complain about. It is more than likely that these idiots aren't capable of a fraction of what you do well, so send them on their way, lets see where they end up !

Gibbo.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TurboSnail said:

hopefully goes some way to answering another correspondent, who asked me (in a very outraged tone) how on earth I could possibly justify charging £9 for a wagon that costs £0.65 in resin, and that I was completely RIPPING PEOPLE OFF and being IMORAL (sic)

I remember back when I was in short trousers and started taking the Railway Modeller, Cyril Freezer commented in "Scrapbox" about a letter they had received from someone who had paid a pound or so for a few pennies' worth of plastic in a kit. He remarked that he (well, he used the "royal we") had not long since spent a similar amount of money on 5p of plastic, arranged in a 12" disc with a hole in the middle and a scratch each side, but that no one had a problem with the fact that the performers, the recorders, the engineers, and the shop keepers etc needed paying, as well as the cost of the master stamp.

Plus ça change, eh?

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

I'm pretty thick-skinned towards this sort of thing, fortunately! And I'm never going to make a living off this, so I'm not bothered about including sufficient profit margins in my prices. The lovely comments I've had from most folks so far make it worth it!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I do hope it was a member on here who decided you are such a rip off merchant as I can now look forward to them putting in the work you do in designing the prints, buying the equipment to print them and printing them.

I can't wait to buy their offerings at under a quid a time ;)

• Like 5

Your support is appreciated folks!

Moving on... these wagons need a brake van! I have a few options, but thought I'd ask around to see which prototype people might like me to do next? It has to be an SER designed one to go with the wagons, and able to be in use between 1900 and 1912, and preferably be fairly common. Any ideas? I have the Southern Wagons Volume 3 drawings book, so I'll be working from that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'd say the SR diagram 1553 outside framed goods brake vans just cry out for 3D printing. Built throughout the last two decades of the 19th century and in traffic well into the grouping period. 

But then I haven't actually bought any of your stuff though that's a situation I would like to rectify.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1