TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

28 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi TS,

Would coarse scale N gauge be suitable for adaption ?

Gibbo.

Hmm... Would the spokes look right though? Supposed to be 8-spoke Manning Wardle wheels. 

Even if I could just use the tyres and replace the centre, that would probably be good enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Does anyone know a source of 10mm driving wheels? I found a truly tiny loco I want to make at some point.

You've found the Class B and C Manning Wardles? Can't help with the wheels, I'm afraid. Perhaps there's a suitably sized wagon wheel rim that you could use and make the wheel centre as a 3D print?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Does anyone know a source of 10mm driving wheels? I found a truly tiny loco I want to make at some point.

Thousands of years ago when I built my own tiny Manning Wardle 0-4-0 I used Mike Sharman wheels, but I suppose that's not an option anymore.  I also used the outer casing of the tiny can motor to represent the boiler which is how I got a motor to fit into such a small locomotive.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

The smallest ones in the Gibson range are 2'9" which is 11 mm.

The small wheels they make are

4835       2’9” 11.0mm 10 Spoke Hudswell Clarke

4836BH 3’ 0" 12.0mm. 10 spoke Black Hawthorn

4836E    3’ 0" 12.0mm. 9 spoke LNER Y9 

4836IW 3’ 0" 12.0mm. 8 spoke Manning Wardle

Not much in the tender/bogie wheels either, But these aren't far off the size.

4831 2' 8" 10.5mm. 8 Spoke Plain 

4832 2' 8" 10.5mm. 10 spoke Plain 

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/

Jason

• Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Ruston said:

You've found the Class B and C Manning Wardles? Can't help with the wheels, I'm afraid. Perhaps there's a suitably sized wagon wheel rim that you could use and make the wheel centre as a 3D print?

That sounds like a plan. As Jason says, I may have to go for 10.5mm wheels, but I think I can make my own wheel centres like I did for the Neilson 2-2-2T. 

But first, I need to find some drawings and photos of the Manning Wardle B class, and work out whether it's feasible at all. I think I've got a good idea of how to make it work.

• Like 2

Well, 3Dhubs has now priced me out of the market entirely. I've just been quoted £105 for an F class in OO, excluding the chassis. Given that I aim to sell them for £70, including chassis, motor, gears and delivery, this method of getting prints done is now not an option. I'm seriously considering getting myself a 3D printer, but that would have to wait until I've graduated in the summer. I'll find a way to get back into it somehow!

I might have to go back to old-fashioned RTR-bashing for a bit, which would hardly be a disappointment. At least I've still got the Manning Wardle and Sharp Stewart builds to keep me going for a while.

• Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, TurboSnail said:

Well, 3Dhubs has now priced me out of the market entirely. I've just been quoted £105 for an F class in OO, excluding the chassis. Given that I aim to sell them for £70, including chassis, motor, gears and delivery, this method of getting prints done is now not an option. I'm seriously considering getting myself a 3D printer, but that would have to wait until I've graduated in the summer. I'll find a way to get back into it somehow!

I might have to go back to old-fashioned RTR-bashing for a bit, which would hardly be a disappointment. At least I've still got the Manning Wardle and Sharp Stewart builds to keep me going for a while.

Knuckles recently said he can do prints on his machine of other people's designs which is the first place Im turning for seaford

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've lacked the energy to do practical modelling this week, but I've made a start on another CAD model, this one for the shortened Electrotren chassis. No drawings to work from either, just a fun one from photos and guesswork. Anyone recognise it?

image.png.9293f7607833bc0ff043510d3978f1c1.png

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Killian keane said:

would that be the very tiny Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0st off the Taff Vale Rly, drawings for which are available on the Colin Binnie website?

Loosely based on, yes, also based on photos of 'Lord Mayor' on the KWVR. There are a few compromises in width, height, wheelbase and wheel diameter to call it a model of that loco, so I'm aiming for the look of a similar class that Hudswell Clarke could have made.

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 1

A bit more progress made on the imaginary Hudswell Clarke - the chassis is based on the Electrotren 0-6-0 one, so the new smaller motor on the 0-4-0 isn't in there yet, hence the bits that don't fit in properly. The cylinders are also smaller than shown.

image.png.c88437647befa404cbecb13e54f5185d.png

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 2 weeks later...

The Hudswell Clarke CAD is finished, I'm going to hold off on printing it for now as I really don't need another project on the go right now, I need to learn to only have two or three things on the go at once... Currently there are about seven or eight just on the workbench, plus many more in boxes.

I'd lost the mojo to do proper physical modelling recently, but last night I managed to paint the Manning Wardle chassis, so hopefully I'll keep up the momentum and start assembling that soon. I also made a start on assembling a High Level gearbox for my Sharp Stewart 0-4-0ST, with a faintly ridiculous 120:1 ratio - it's going to be very slow (hopefully).

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Excellent stuff Tom. Would the Hornby Peckett chassis be larger than the cut down electrotren one?

I'm not sure, I do want one but a Hornby Peckett is beyond my budget! How big is it? The model is 62mm between the insides of the bufferbeams, I have a feeling the Peckett might be a bit longer. It's also designed for 14mm wheels, but it could be changed fairly easily to accept an alternative chassis.

31 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

I'm not sure, I do want one but a Hornby Peckett is beyond my budget! How big is it? The model is 62mm between the insides of the bufferbeams, I have a feeling the Peckett might be a bit longer. It's also designed for 14mm wheels, but it could be changed fairly easily to accept an alternative chassis.

Not a very precise measurements, but the Hornby Peckett appears to have 12mm wheels to a 22mm wheelbase.  The overall chassis length appears to be 67mm

Not sure how many people would be willing to hack up a Peckett for one of these! I am thinking along the lines of alternative chassis though, especially as the build of the Manning Wardle progresses, I may be able to modify that chassis fairly easily to fit the Hudswell too.

Here's where we're up to with the Manning Wardle. It seems to work too, the wheels turn reasonably smoothly. Before I put the motor in for good I need to decide whether I want it to have a top speed of slow (scale 38mph), or very slow (scale 19mph).

IMG_20190313_213013.jpg.f68082a40f19904408b9dfea36b92db1.jpg

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, sem34090 said:

19mph is certainly the more realistic of the two, but I can see such a low top speed getting irritating.

It's never going to get out on the mainline, but equally I don't want it to go everywhere with the motor at full chat. I can't find a motor with a speed in between either. I think at the moment I'm leaning towards the slower one as it's only ever going to be a low-powered shunter, but 110mm/s is very slow for a top speed. Aaarrgh...

• Like 2

On 13/03/2019 at 09:08, TurboSnail said:

I doubt that you would get the Peckett chassis in anyway. The motor and drive train sit relatively high inside the body of the Peckett and the Hudswell's tank is going to be a lot lower than the Peckett's..

Regarding the Manning, I would go for the higher speed set up. You can always run it slower by not giving it so much power but on the other hand you can't make it go faster if the top speed of the other motor and gearing won't allow it. It's also going to be making quite a noise at top speed as those N20s aren't the quietest of units at higher speeds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

"It Lives!"

Cue crash of thunder and flash of lightning!

Good work, I'm sure once it has run in for a while it will become quieter but it runs smooth enough.  I must get myself a couple of those motors!

• Thanks 1

I had a great modelling session last night, one of those ones where everything just goes right, first time. Had @BlueLightning's stream on in the background so now I'm all clued up on plasticard modelling too.

Anyway, the outcome was a slide bar added to the SECR Manning Wardle from offcuts of brass rod, and a fully assembled 1:120 gearbox in my Sharp Stewart chassis. Everything about the gearbox was uncannily perfect, the chassis fit is excellent and the cheapo 5-pole skew-wound motor fits exactly despite the 'box being designed for a Mashima. It's not often everything goes so smoothly, so I think I might have got my mojo back!

IMG_20190317_211531.jpg.e9c8cad4c97848fd1d6fc44f37c402d9.jpg

IMG_20190317_223003.jpg.6ed05862ba39834a4f0c7ee9f2d6412b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7