TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

TurboSnail, had you given any more thought to scaling the Sharp Stewart Furness 0-4-0ST up to 7mm scale please? Have a friend who is also potentially interested in a 7mm print of one if you do consider it.

Good luck with the exams and assessment centres!

I thought I'd replied to this already, obviously not. Try again! 

Short answer is no, it is easily possible to scale up the body but it would cost you over £100 judging by the quote I got last time. The chassis would be much more work that I don't really have time to do, but if you're happy to build your own then I can certainly get the body done for you. I'm also not sure how well it would print - a) whether it would fit on the printer at all and b) whether the larger surfaces may warp (flat surfaces on OO gauge prints sometimes have some very slight warping). I think it would be fine, but I'm not prepared to guarantee anything as it's not me doing the printing! So if you want to, I can give it a try but it will be expensive, PM me if you want to discuss further.

If I can work out how to run it, I will be doing a livestream video tomorrow night over on my YouTube channel here, starting about 8pm. 

This should help serve a couple of purposes: 1) to provide a demo video on removing support material from prints and 2) so anyone watching can ask anything about projects (previous, current or future), methods, tools etc.

Topics planned include support removal, the first look at the SECR 313 Manning Wardle, an alternative Neilson, the original Neilson 2-2-2T, the Furness Sharpie 0-4-0ST and anything else that happens to be lying about on my workbench at the time. It will go on for as long as I can ramble on for (I'm not the most verbose of people) so any participation would be much appreciated.

Hopefully chat to some of you tomorrow!

• Like 1

Livestream plans are on hold! I've just tested it and YouTube wants to make me wait 24 hours for some reason. So I'll do it another time, possibly Saturday. I might actually have to do some proper modelling tonight.

Edited by TurboSnail

Ok, livestream take 2 ready to go this evening from 8pm. As before, it's primarily so I can have a video of support removal to refer people to. But also time for questions, showing some other projects etc. including the SECR Manning Wardle. See previous description!

I've tested it this time and it all seems to work ok!

Youtube channel link here.

• Like 2

Going live now! See previous posts for links

Livestream now done, but is available to watch back here, especially if you're interested in support removal techniques. Then I go off on a ramble about various projects...

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 2

First livestream done and went ok, I'm clearly not cut out for TV or radio work though. 

Highlights included going from a printer-fresh model, removing all the support material then getting it running on an RTR chassis in about 30 minutes... More on that tomorrow. We also had a look at the SECR Manning Wardle prints and a few other things. I'll post some more about everything tomorrow when I have a chance to get photos.

• Like 2

The first update from last night is that I have a new model available now - it's essentially the Neilson 2-2-2T body, lengthened by 3mm around the tanks to fit an Electrotren 0-6-0 RTR chassis. I had it running half an hour after taking it out of the packet! There's still plenty of detail to add though, and a little more post-processing of the print, but I'm very happy with how well it works for a first go. For reference, the loco is about the same size as a Terrier, but with slightly smaller wheels.

I think it looks reasonably good for a freelance version of an already semi-freelance model! It would suit small to medium industrial layouts from the 1870s onwards.

post-25124-0-96761700-1548582665_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Would you be willing to sell me just the engine and tender bodies from the F kit? I'd have to do violence to the chassis to adapt it for P4 and it seems easier just to build my own.

That would be absolutely fine, drop me a PM if you want to discuss. 

As well as the Neilson 0-6-0 (see previous post) we also have a progress update on an SER R class (not 3D printed for a change!) on a Hornby Jinty chassis and the SECR Manning Wardle 313 prints. Looking forward to getting stuck into the smallest loco I've ever tried - the photo doesn't bring across its smallness properly!

post-25124-0-28569500-1548608134_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-82948000-1548608145_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

In a slight change from standard practice, I'm offering the Neilson 0-6-0T on Shapeways as well as direct through me - the hope is that it might open the door to a few more customers. I have also included a link on the product page so people can contact me direct about resin versions instead of the Shapeways materials, hopefully Shapeways don't get too shirty about me doing that!

The resin version will be available direct from me for about £35 including delivery, so you can see why I moved away from Shapeways for most of my models!

post-25124-0-12356200-1548694572_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

A producer of a few 'N' gauge 3D prints has calculated his items will see an increase of between 30% and 200%. If that is the case I give Shapeways about a month to change their minds or go bust. I believe increase day is the 4th February, get ordering quick!

And I thought 3Dhubs was expensive! I've been looking to get in direct contact with 3Dhubs printing services recently, which hopefully should stop some of the mad price fluctuations I get from them...

They've got rid of the ability to choose your printer hub now, so I can't choose my favourite one (who I know does good prices and quality, and is very helpful) so it's pot luck as to whether tonight's order will turn out as good as usual! Slightly worried as it was also the most expensive order I've done to date.

On 1/28/2019 at 4:57 PM, TurboSnail said:

post-25124-0-12356200-1548694572_thumb.jpg

This actual loco test body is for sale now, I've decided it won't be appearing on my layout as it's a bit too similar to the 2-2-2T. If anyone wants it, let me know, it's had some surface prep done and is in primer. One of the cab footsteps also needs a small repair. £35 including delivery, probably less than a shiny new one will cost, with some of the work already done! It's also on evilBay, but for a higher price to cover their fees. 

Now I feel like one of those dodgy car dealers... (One careful owner etc.)

• Like 4

I'm currently working on some SER paper 'transfers' (borrowing Sem's technique), but I can't really find any definitive information on what the livery looked like. This is my attempt so far, based on some pictures in SERkits' catalogue and a brief but vague description in Bradley's RCTS book 'The Locomotives of the South Eastern Railway'. Anyone got any better ideas/images? I'm also not sure whether to go for the earlier version (as shown here) or the later version with the added yellow stripe.

image.png.9a8095b92559cb7cb97d633bb1613cb1.png

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 1/28/2019 at 7:15 PM, Gareth Collier said:

A producer of a few 'N' gauge 3D prints has calculated his items will see an increase of between 30% and 200%. If that is the case I give Shapeways about a month to change their minds or go bust. I believe increase day is the 4th February, get ordering quick!

That degree of increase matches the information sent to me by SW about two weeks ago concerning my own site. The price changes were to apply from the start of February. Since then, I've had mail from them saying that they've found the bugs in their pricing algorithm and will be delaying the increases until the pricing is sorted out. This applies to FUD prints and not to other materials.

AFAIK, the intention was to set a floor of $7.50 or Euro equivalent on small prints, so that they do not lose money and go bust. The bug (which may be one of many) seems to be that they have doubled the prices of things that were way above $7.50 to start with; or perhaps that was a "feature". I don't know yet how the prices will settle down.

• Informative/Useful 1

More work on transfers done today, with mostly guesswork around the splashers. I'll try and print some off tomorrow at Uni and see how we get on.

Also ordered nameplates for the Neilson 2-2-2T, numberplates for the R and some tiny motors for other projects, one of which will be the fourth or fifth motorisation option tried! Hopefully it finally works, I've spent way too much on it already.

I also got around to finally designing a fitting for the Hornby Slow-4-0 chassis regearing project, aiming to replace the Hornby generic 0-4-0 motor and gears with a 60:1 gearset and a smaller motor with a flywheel, without having to heavily modify the loco. More on that when I've made the test part.

image.png.72b0da463c39499192fb8e40bcf17284.png

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Had a bit of a scare this morning when I agreed to the new forum rules and noticed the fourth commandment: "Thou shalt not promote, offer for sale or link to any commercial entity you are involved with". A quick message to Andy Y and we've got the all clear, so I can continue to sell models to those that want them, although I still wouldn't call myself a business as such...

Anyway, I'm trying to keep this thread more about the modelling than something as vulgar as advertising and selling, so please feel free to chastise me if I occasionally regress to being a salesman!

• Friendly/supportive 3