Jump to content

TurboSnail

TurboSnail's Workbench - SER F/F1 class, Neilson 2-2-2t, Manning Wardle 0-4-0st

Recommended Posts

Certainly in my experience lighter paper is much better - I did the same for my R1 but in SECR Wainwright livery. Looks superb in SER Black though!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guy Rixon said:

Probably 70g paper then. Possibly, the technique works better with light-weight paper. 

 

I think it also helps that the livery is relatively simple and only 2 colours. It's much easier to match the black well than it is to get the specific shade of SECR green correct, for example. I would have printed it onto white waterslide transfer paper if I had some, or if I had my own printer. The Uni technicians might object to me gumming up a network printer!

  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been reading the pugbashes thread, a very dangerous thing to do. I've now decided that I need to do something with all the donor bits I've used for various 3D printing projects. This might not happen immediately, or even soon, but here's what I've got: the chassis is a Hornby 0-4-0 with a new motor, 1:60 gears and a flywheel. The bodies are a Jinty, Electrotren, 2 Railroad 0-4-0s and the old Neilson 2-2-2t body. I also have a test F class tender that could be cut down to a four-wheel tender. I have 15 and 20mm tubes for boilers.

 

Not sure where to go in terms of inspiration. I quite like the Furness 0-4-0 tender loco, but I'm open to anything really. Any suggestions from the floor?

 

IMG_20190210_165258.jpg.03c9b4b0911f50b30f8630f111c6b3db.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 20 mm diameter tube would be a bit gross for a small engine, unless you thought of doing a fireless one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The 20 mm diameter tube would be a bit gross for a small engine, unless you thought of doing a fireless one?

 

That's what I thought, but then I also thought that 15mm might be a bit too small... I don't want to buy anything else for this project, so it would have to be one of the two, or hacking up one of the loco bodies. Or find another common household item that could substitute.

Edited by TurboSnail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

 

That's what I thought, but then I also thought that 15mm might be a bit too small... I don't want to buy anything else for this project, so it would have to be one of the two, or hacking up one of the loco bodies. Or find another common household item that could substitute.

Hi TS,

 

If you use the 15mm tube you can increase it's diameter by splitting another piece of tube and sliding it over the original piece, the increase in diameter being twice wall thickness. To make the diameter greater still you can sandwich a wrapping of thin plasticard (.010") , twice wall thickness plus twice plasticard thickness, more plasticard greater still. The elasticity of the tube will keep it all together while the glue cures, although a bit of tape will make sure, and it may then be treated as a thick tube.

 

Its a tricky job but it does work.

 

Gibbo.

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi TS,

 

If you use the 15mm tube you can increase it's diameter by splitting another piece of tube and sliding it over the original piece, the increase in diameter being twice wall thickness. To make the diameter greater still you can sandwich a wrapping of thin plasticard (.010") , twice wall thickness plus twice plasticard thickness, more plasticard greater still. The elasticity of the tube will keep it all together while the glue cures, although a bit of tape will make sure, and it may then be treated as a thick tube.

 

Its a tricky job but it does work.

 

Gibbo.

 

With the plasticard strapped down with tape. plunge in a mug of just off boiling water for a few minutes. Then the plasticard will hold its shape.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fruits of last night's labour - the SECR Manning Wardle 313 is starting to take shape, the motor even fits, which was what I was most worried about. I also finished painting the Neilson 2-2-2T and adding the final few details, just waiting for nameplates and a driver now. Then maybe I can finally reclaim some bench space for something else!

 

image.png.e74eb2dd46b3cafc3dd705615b7a8031.png

 

image.png.300de4f826132336c580b5cdac6969b9.png

 

Also, I'm now up to 500 posts! :dancing:

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Guy Rixon said:

Must try that one one the CSB advocates. It will make their spreadsheets more interesting.

Hi Guy,

 

Forgive my ignorance, what is CSB ?

 

Gibbo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CSB = Continuous Spring Beams. Guitar-wire springs are run the length of the chassis, one on each side, and bearing on all the axles. There's a pivot point, typically, on each side of each wheel, with some pivots serving a wheel on either side. This allows all the wheels to be sprung and the weight on each axle can be set by moving the pivot points. The behaviour of the CSBs is predictable enough that there exist spreadsheets to say where to put the pivots for a given wheel arrangement and centre of balance. The balance of the loco can be designed in when building the chassis; c.f. individual springs on each wheels where the balance usually has to be got by adjustment (profanity-limited) after building.

 

Actually, on second reading, the Belgian 0-6-oops-0 is just an 0-8-0 for CSB purposes and not that interesting. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Guy,

 

Forgive my ignorance, what is CSB ?

 

Gibbo.

It's something used by some "finescale" modellers in building model locomotives and is supposedly the "cutting edge of technology", although it makes the locomotive run/stay on the track, no better than one that uses simple compensation. It's the next big argument to kick off in the P4 world and will make the gauge wars look like a teddy bears picnic, or so I am told... :rolleyes:

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The history of Protofour seems at times to have resembled that of the Judean Peoples Front, or was that the People's Front of Judea?

 

Splitters! 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know James, - I got out alive and fled to the delights of coarse scale 'O' Gauge, - and I never looked back once.

  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ruston said:

It's something used by some "finescale" modellers in building model locomotives and is supposedly the "cutting edge of technology", although it makes the locomotive run/stay on the track, no better than one that uses simple compensation. It's the next big argument to kick off in the P4 world and will make the gauge wars look like a teddy bears picnic, or so I am told... :rolleyes:

 

You were mis-told...

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Whatever happened to the Judean Popular Peoples' Front?"
"He's over there..."
[in chorus]: "SPLITTER!"

*ahem*

That Neilson's gorgeous - I may have to acquire one at some point! I am also fighting the urge to go for one of the Manning Wardles too, but really can't justify it appearing deep in LSWR territory!

  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ruston said:

It's something used by some "finescale" modellers in building model locomotives and is supposedly the "cutting edge of technology", although it makes the locomotive run/stay on the track, no better than one that uses simple compensation. It's the next big argument to kick off in the P4 world and will make the gauge wars look like a teddy bears picnic, or so I am told... :rolleyes:

One could of course go to the forum of the S4 society and actually read the posts concerning the value of CSBs. There was much debate, because they are an interesting technology. There was no war, hardly even a heated argument.

 

The lasting desire to smear P4 modellers sickens me.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Guy Rixon said:

One could of course go to the forum of the S4 society and actually read the posts concerning the value of CSBs. There was much debate, because they are an interesting technology. There was no war, hardly even a heated argument.

 

The lasting desire to smear P4 modellers sickens me.

 

Lest I be smeared as a smearer, my only real insight into this subculture was as a nonplussed witness to some pretty heated correspondence in old copies of MRJ that I once came across.  

 

The propensity to be opinionated and pedantic afflicts this hobby generally, though one might be forgiven for the impression that the risk increases the nearer to perfection one strives!

 

Generally I suspect that the finescale community bears significant responsibility for how it is perceived.  I am inspired and influenced by Iain Rice's writing, but I suspect that is because he is one of the few able to translate from finescale culture to something more accessible and demotic. 

 

Moving back towards the topic, a package arrived today at Aching Towers: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130022-secr-traffic-on-the-tonbridge-cut-off/&do=findComment&comment=3465380

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that the walls on the tender print are translucent where they are exposed in front of the coal space. I wonder, how thin are these parts?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have nothing against finescale modellers since I used to be one.  Possibly it was the group I was involved with, but eventually I just had to leave for the sake on my own sanity.  Opinionated and pedantic, - those guys had it by the barrow load.  It wasn't just me, shortly after I left the group the group leader's wife left him because he was such an A grade XXXXXXX so yes it was pretty awful.

I used to make things like 19th century 0-4-0 Manning Wardles in brass in P4 (not a kit all hand made), - lovely little jewels of things.

Edited by Annie
more to say
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Annie said:

I used to make things like 19th century 0-4-0 Manning Wardles in brass in P4 (not a kit all hand made), - lovely little jewels of things.

That sounds very nice. Do you have photos you could post somewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Guy I never owned a camera back then and I ended up having to sell all my models when life happened and I needed the money.

  • Friendly/supportive 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Guy Rixon said:

I see that the walls on the tender print are translucent where they are exposed in front of the coal space. I wonder, how thin are these parts?

 

Very thin! I use a minimum wall thickness of 0.75mm for small areas, and for larger flat surfaces like this tender, it's 1mm. I've done a fair bit of experimentation and thinner walls are possible, but I prefer to keep it to 1mm (or more) where possible so that they print reliably every time.

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Guy Rixon said:

I see that the walls on the tender print are translucent where they are exposed in front of the coal space. I wonder, how thin are these parts?

 

Do these pictures help at all?

 

 

DSCN8284.JPG

DSCN8285.JPG

DSCN8286.JPG

DSCN8288.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.