Cakebox Ideas No.1 & No.2 - A view from the front and a view from the middle.

sem34090

So, a cakebox.

I fancied doing something different - lots of people are following the traditional route of modelling a scene of a railway, or fields, but I have yet to see one quite like the ones I'm planning.

This is my first idea, roughly laid out (to scale) to check that it will possibly work:

post-33498-0-19819200-1528897383_thumb.png

It just so happens that (I don't know the scale!) an LBSCR Class A1 Cab can be made to fit the 8" x 8" x 6" envelope, albeit with a very tiny amount of compression width-ways. The plan will be to fully model at least three sides of the cab, perhaps all four (removable back) if I'm feeling ambitious. The walls will probably be foamboard  and I will probably try and paint the outside in full IEG or Umber.

Whilst I was at it I also wanted to see if a coach compartment would work. This is a slightly compressed version of an LSWR Third Class Compartment (Taken from a photo of Brake Third No.1520).

post-33498-0-55970600-1528898892_thumb.png

So, my ideas. I don't think anyone has done ones like these, so I thought it was about time I made a thread and 'took' the ideas before anyone else did!

Your thoughts please, Ladies and Gentlemen...

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 8

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Sem fantastic idea i like the looks and sounds of this and will be watching with interest.;)

• RMweb Premium

This is a great idea Sem.  I've seen dioramas done as a view through a building's window, but doing one as a cab view would really be quite something.

• 2 weeks later...

Go for it Sem!! The coach compartment idea reminds me of Eric Ravilious’s print

post-33019-0-49063700-1530150001.jpeg

Aberdeen Art Gallery aagm.co.uk

And another print by his wife Tirzah Garwood

post-33019-0-60733900-1530150145.jpeg

persephonebooks.co.uk

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 2

I've never come across that one, but WOW! Perfectly encapsulates what I'm planning, albeit mine will be based on either an LSWR third or and SECR third as I feel the depth is too shallow to permit a First class compartment (having spent much of the weekend travelling around in a Stroudley First! :onthequiet: )

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 2