BRM July '18 + DVD, BIGGEST-EVER DIGITAL EDITION

Howard Smith

• Moderators

OUR BIGGEST-EVER DIGITAL EDITION!

https://pocketmags.com/british-railway-modelling-magazine

Digital edition on sale June 15, print copies in stores from June 21.

post-8492-0-91614800-1528965682_thumb.jpg

Here's what's inside this month's digital version:

Free copy of Garden Rail!

post-8492-0-91740100-1528967605_thumb.jpg

5 extra videos:

- Stirling Single review

post-8492-0-21119100-1528967499_thumb.jpg

- Sidmouth layout in action

post-8492-0-82481300-1528967566_thumb.jpg

- Phil Parker interviews Rapido's Jason Shron

- Unwrapping Rapido's 'Brummie' bus sample

post-8492-0-81840000-1528967128_thumb.jpg

- Allanbridge layout in action

post-8492-0-46119600-1528967047_thumb.jpg

post-8492-0-04689600-1528967342_thumb.jpg

93 extra pictures!

Bonus trackplans: Rivendell & Tower Pier

Bonus layout: Ellesmere

post-8492-0-05133400-1528967167_thumb.jpg

Full BRM DVD footage included:

- Oakley Green - a stunning blue diesel-era layout with cutting edge technology

- A beginner's guide to drybrushing techniques

- Making two great wagon kits from the N Gauge Society

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ArHwLorupbw

INSIDE THE JULY ISSUE...

Kensington Addison Road Station (O) - the inspiration, research and space considerations that entailed in its creation

Sidmouth (P4) - an admirable and accurate depiction of its prototype

Allanbridge (OO) - how one club dismantled its layout and built a bigger and better one with the same name

Shelfie (OO) - an exhibition favourite proves size is no impediment to operational enjoyment

Detail a Hornby Class 31 - Michael Russell upgrades this model with details befitting the prototype

Print and build a coal office kit on a budget - we show you how

Make coal loads look more realistic - real coal is the only way!

Cakebox Challenge - Howard Smith creates a London rush hour feel on his Underground diorama

Trade News from Hatton's, Zimo, new locomotives and more

The latest railway books for your collection

New models and the latest new gear

Reviewed: Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single No. 1

Make a budget garden railway

A beginner's guide to signalling with semaphores

A lifetime in signalling - a signalling professional recalls an eventful, fulfilling and occasionally exhausting career

Postcards from Canada - a visual guide to Phil Parker's recent trip to Canada

Inbox: your letters, thoughts and modelling projects

Tail Lamp: Collecting vintage DCC equipment

We hope you enjoy it,

Howard

Edited by Andy Y
Correction
  • Like 2

It could be interesting to see who the 'signalling professional' turns out to be?

It's Adrian Vaughan who also wrote the prototype piece about the Faringdon branch last month.

• Moderators

It could be interesting to see who the 'signalling professional' turns out to be?

It's Adrian Vaughan who also wrote the prototype piece about the Faringdon branch last month.

Never a dull moment with Adrian and complementing his piece as part of the mini signalling theme is Mick Nicholson, who introduces some key semaphore signalling practice of use to modellers with prototypical examples. And no, we're not done with Adrian yet - he still has plenty of tales up his sleeve to be told, some of which fit nicely with forthcoming layouts and articles.

• RMweb Gold

“A beginner's guide to dry airbrushing techniques”

What is dry airbrushing? I’ve heard of airbrushing, and of dry brushing, but never dry airbrushing... or is it a cunning scheme to pique my curiosity to the extent that I buy the magazine to find out

• Like 1

“A beginner's guide to dry airbrushing techniques”

What is dry airbrushing? I’ve heard of airbrushing, and of dry brushing, but never dry airbrushing... or is it a cunning scheme to pique my curiosity to the extent that I buy the magazine to find out

It is dry-brushing - although I did do some dry aerosol spraying myself the other day!

• RMweb Gold

Never a dull moment with Adrian and complementing his piece as part of the mini signalling theme is Mick Nicholson, who introduces some key semaphore signalling practice of use to modellers with prototypical examples. And no, we're not done with Adrian yet - he still has plenty of tales up his sleeve to be told, some of which fit nicely with forthcoming layouts and articles.

I am looking forward to Mick's piece (I have received a private copy of part of it already ;) ).  I'll say no more about t'other one as many years ago I happened to be his boss ;)

• Like 3

the BRM Digital exclusive revolutions B class video not working on you tube via the digital issue.

[Edited to remove link to copyright material]

Edited by Phil Parker

the BRM Digital exclusive revolutions B class video not working on you tube via the digital issue.

We'll need to look at that one on Monday, not sure what's happened to the link.

Have received and read the free copy of BRM supplied last month, I must say I was very impressed. So when I got an e-mail inviting me to subscribe to the digital edition for £29.99 I thought I would sign up.

However (unless I am missing sometime obvious) Pocket Mags does not give you two critical bits of information before you are asked to checkout.

1) How long the subscription is for - I would assume one year, but for all the information you get it could be per issue!

2) Whether when you sign up this is a continuous credit card payment or not.

• Like 1

That'll be for the year Paul, thanks for subscribing! If it's the same as my sub it will automatically renew at the same price but I'm sure I recall a mechanism for cancelling it if you didn't wish to continue.

We'll need to look at that one on Monday, not sure what's happened to the link.

Hi the link is now working! The video had been moved but is now found and relinked! Enjoy

• Like 1

You know that map of Garden Railway suppliers? Might want to check a few of those locations. Pretty certain the Isle of Wight is in the English channel not the Bristol channel. Jacksons Minatures are in Dorset, not THAT Gillingham.

It's almost like you plugged the names of towns into google maps.and just picked the first off the list!

• RMweb Gold

Got home tonight to find my copy on the door mat.

I used to look forward my subscription copy dropping onto the door mat so I could watch the layout features on the latest cover DVDs. but lately I have been getting more and more disappointed. 

Sorry but got to have a moan.

This months layout feature on Oakley Green was good but a little short at 4 minutes 30 secs and didn't really have much time to give the layout the justice it deserved.

The whole main video was only 31 minutes and over half of that was spent building a couple of wagons!

Yes I know its a freebie, but the resolution of the video seemed to be a lot poorer than normal and in comparison to the preview video on You tube, it was like watching it in 360P. 

I've watched VHS recordings that had a sharper picture!

Please give a little more space on the DVD to the layouts.

At the moment only just over half the space on the DVD is actually used so adding extra few minutes for the layout features is not going to mean the other items suffer unless its an additional financial cost to make a slightly longer video.

Edited by beejack

• RMweb Gold

Someone will be doing Geography detention!

Someone also needs to be in detention for the major headline on the cover of the printed version.  I realise that the NCIM/Rapido model of the Stirling single is a superb example of model railway engineering and a great credit to Bill Schneider's design and engineering skills but to front page headline in this way invites derision.

'The finest model locomotive yet?' tempts me to a short answer - 'no way'.  'The finest r-t-r loco yet?' is quite possibly the case although certain producers of O gauge locos would undoubtedly take umbrage even at that suggestion.  I don't deny it is a superb piece of work and my money is already where my mouth is but daft headlines are not the best way to promote anything in my view.

Meanwhile a more serious error has appeared in an article - alas one by my good friend Mick Nicholson - where  in the second drawing the Clearing point is incorrectly shown as an Overlap.  An overlap is something used in Track Circuit Block and colour light signalling and it has a rather different meaning from the term Clearing Point.   Mick of course spent most of his working life, right up to retirement, as a Signalman and was, I know, deeply involved with Absolute Block working at a busy junction signal box a long while before he got a post much nearer home involving colour light signals and Track Circuit Block working as well as much reduced cycling to work.

'The finest model locomotive yet?' tempts me to a short answer - 'no way'.  'The finest r-t-r loco yet?' is quite possibly the case although certain producers of O gauge locos would undoubtedly take umbrage even at that suggestion.  I don't deny it is a superb piece of work and my money is already where my mouth is but daft headlines are not the best way to promote anything in my view.

I would have like that sensible caveat to have been there Mike but it came down to space and text sizes; arguably some browsers wouldn't know what 'RTR' was so to fit the full 'the finest ready-to-run OO steam locomotive yet?' would have been difficult. I did baulk at the words 'best' and 'ever' appearing as that's far too subjective and pushed for 'finest' and 'yet' to give room for future developments (as ever implies that it may not be surpassed).

I'd best finish this 'finest OO gauge ready-to-run item of coaching stock' review off now!

Fundamentally, I did make an error in the review of the Stirling Single and quoted the balance due after deposit payment (when referencing Locomotion's website) rather than the full price inc. deposit. Apologies to all for that.

Meanwhile a more serious error has appeared in an article - alas one by my good friend Mick Nicholson - where  in the second drawing the Clearing point is incorrectly shown as an Overlap.  An overlap is something used in Track Circuit Block and colour light signalling and it has a rather different meaning from the term Clearing Point.   Mick of course spent most of his working life, right up to retirement, as a Signalman and was, I know, deeply involved with Absolute Block working at a busy junction signal box a long while before he got a post much nearer home involving colour light signals and Track Circuit Block working as well as much reduced cycling to work.

Dear Mike, thanks for the correction, I had worked TCB for far too long, it is now well over twenty five years since I lwas last involved with AB. As an aside, I wore out at least four push bikes in my almost thirty five year signalling carrier,  it was not unkown to bike seventeen miles, do a twelve hour shift and then ride the same miles back home.

• RMweb Gold

Dear Mike, thanks for the correction, I had worked TCB for far too long, it is now well over twenty five years since I lwas last involved with AB. As an aside, I wore out at least four push bikes in my almost thirty five year signalling carrier,  it was not unkown to bike seventeen miles, do a twelve hour shift and then ride the same miles back home.

Thanks Mick - serves you right for being in the job for over 30 years but we won't say too much about the 12 hours bit in case folk start totting up the earnings ( for the uninitiated a 5 day week of 12 hours was worth just a bit over 3 hours short of two week's pay)  ;)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2