BRM July '18 + DVD, BIGGEST-EVER DIGITAL EDITION

Howard Smith

Yes; the digital edition is now live - https://pocketmags.com/british-railway-modelling-magazine - we do go big on the Stirling Single but it really is a rather special model.

I’ve also recently subscribed to the digital edition of BRM after sampling the free issue and so far have been very impressed with the whole reading experience and visual quality of the digital images. The additional photos and embedded videos are an added bonus. I usually use a Samsung Galaxy tablet for reading purposes (as I find the colour quality and screen resolution superior to iPads) but have been pleased to find the image quality to be good enough to read on my iPhone when I’m out and about.

In light of this, I’ve also purchased the full back catalogue of digital editions as this represented excellent value for money and now have access to an extensive database of past modelling articles that don’t require yet another set of shelves to store!

• Like 1

• Administrators

Perhaps there is a way that those of us who prefer the paper version, could also see the extra stuff the digital subscribers get. I would be quite happy to have the paper version in my workbag where it gets read between jobs, and read the extra didital content at home on my computer.

The idea of a print + digital subscription has been investigated, but at the moment we can't do it because Pocketmags aren't (for legal reasons) allowed to tell us the details of digi subscribers!

It's not going away though, so watch this space.

• Like 2

Andy, Ben

Content niggles aside, I think you are truly mastering the flow and content style needed for web publications. I am finding it easier to read and the flow to the expanded pictures for articles working far better. I discontinued web subscriptions to Hornby and Railway Modeler several years ago so I don't know if they have improved as well. Only so much time and money. The medium is advancing to the point that paper magazines seem almost quaint. 

In the past I have considered Joe Fugate's Model Railroad Hobbyist the leader. I will now modify my estimate to say that MRH is the best of the free web publications. 

Now will you kindly take me off moderation or at least let me know how much longer I must remain in goal....

In light of this, I’ve also purchased the full back catalogue of digital editions as this represented excellent value for money and now have access to an extensive database of past modelling articles that don’t require yet another set of shelves to store!

I've also purchased a large number (22) of the back numbers in this great deal. I don't suppose you found a way to download them all (in one go) to your device for reading off-line?

I want them all on my iPad, ready for an upcoming 28-hour plane trip. But it seems I can only download one to the device at a time. Is there any way to automate this? A way to queue all of them to download one after the other, without further intervention by me? It's going to take ages to sit and wait for each one finish downloading so I can start the next. Not helped by only having "moderate" internet speed either (about 15 Mbps).

(I have asked PocketMags - but thought I'd check here while I wait for their answer, as that may come too late, given its now a weekend in the UK .)

I've also purchased a large number (22) of the back numbers in this great deal. I don't suppose you found a way to download them all (in one go) to your device for reading off-line?

I want them all on my iPad, ready for an upcoming 28-hour plane trip. But it seems I can only download one to the device at a time. Is there any way to automate this? A way to queue all of them to download one after the other, without further intervention by me? It's going to take ages to sit and wait for each one finish downloading so I can start the next. Not helped by only having "moderate" internet speed either (about 15 Mbps).

(I have asked PocketMags - but thought I'd check here while I wait for their answer, as that may come too late, given its now a weekend in the UK .)

Good question, I will look into this and get back to you.

• Administrators

I've just noticed that a caption for one of the photos in the Budget Garden Railways article didn't make it to the page. 

Bachmann.jpeg

It should have thanked Dream Steam for providing the image of this £175 Bachmann G gauge set. Since first seeing these at a Bachmann press day a couple of years ago, I've thought they would make a great intro into garden railways. The loco might be toy-like but it and the coaches aren't unattractive and certainly robust enough for kids of all ages.

Having said this, we've not had one in for review for Garden Rail, so if anyone has experience and fancies writing something up, drop me an e-mail at phil.parker@warnersgroup.co.uk and we'll talk.

On a related note, I've just returned from annual leave to find that the digital edition of our August issue is going to be even bigger than our blockbusting July digital edition, with 314 pages of enhanced magazine content, free copies of both Traction and Garden Rail magazines, a downloadable tea towel to hang on your scale washing lines (this will make sense when you see the magazine) and much more besides. More details shortly, but a small 'blimey' is most definitely in order!

• Like 1