Distillery yard micro layout - back out on the exhibition circuit

Some more finishing touches today. Firstly the buffer stop has been painted, weathered and glued into place. I think it suits the siding quite well. Instead of using the lamp moulded in place I super glued a spring side one instead.IMG_20190220_204456368.jpg.5250a1414064740786e9adb5dcf24749.jpgAnd I tried to clean the track but Catzilla returned....IMG_20190219_195850301.jpg.3c072ea5d4d6502611aaf1826abdb675.jpgNot much stuff left to do now before the big day....

• Like 2

So here is day 1 exhibition report. First of all there were no problems at all with the layout. I'm very happy with how everything has gone together and a massive thanks to my friend Pete who helped me operate the layout today. Set up was quick and easy and I even found a few bargains at the show. Here is a picture of the layout set up and ready to go.IMG_20190223_093016808.jpg.237bc31e89c50e5f01c3434c232b85ee.jpg There was only one bit of damage which was a broke bit of point rodding which I'll fix tomorrow morning with some super glue. As an exhibitor I received one of these very nice wooden (feels like a light weight type) plaques which has been glued onto the fascia with a bit of super glue. IMG_20190223_164313356.jpg.ce5eee2f39e39d527edfb30cb88abe66.jpg After just day one I'm very excited to be starting on my next  exhibition layout project for next year's show. Full of ideas and there are some fantastic layouts at the show so definitely recommend it to anyone in the area tomorrow. I'll get some more pictures taken tomorrow and will probably try and out together some sort of video for YouTube afterwards. Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 7

Well after a fantastic weekend everything is back home safe and sound end everything is set up with the track cleaned. To say I'm proud of how well the layout did is an understatement and the exhibition manager was very pleased with how it looked, performed and was easy to set up/pack down. From start to finish of the pack down (including carrying stuff out to the car) it took 11 minutes to pack down. Oh the joys of a small layout! I was the first layout to leave unsurprisingly. :)Apparently the exhibition was the busiest yet so much so that they even ran out of tickets to sell! Saturday was crazy and Sunday was surprisingly busy. For only a small show we had very good footfall. I took this picture at about 10:30 this morning showing a good turn out and some people looking at the layout.FB_IMG_1551030535722.jpg.918bcf24a97bbf873154c63578ce6016.jpg I must say a massive thank you to my friends Henry and Pete who helped me operate the layout over the weekend. I genuinely couldn't have done it without you guys. :) Henry brought some great stock with him including a class 24, 08 and 009 model.of Dolgoch which rode around on a lowmac to the amusement of many people. But getting a bit silly towards the end of the show we just had to add a bit more to the layout in terms of details so I give you the wild dolgoch!IMG_20190224_114134412.jpg.92ba5e3c86a65b9f6c7f8caff40eee32.jpg Quite a rare species I've heard, only really found in the Speyside area of Scotland. And it would be wrong not to show the beautiful class 24 on the layout too. IMG_20190224_095659124.jpg.89510697716541fdfc74fd61b87f3eeb.jpg That's all from me for now and I have no other shows booked for 2019 but I'll keep you posted if any changes. I'll also put some more pictures on here tomorrow of trains running . All in all I couldn't be happier with how the exhibition went, the layout performed to above my expectations, the visitor feedback was fantastic, the exhibition manager was pleased and would like me back next year and there were no problems with the layout at all. 

• Like 5

Luke, 

Glad the show went well and you had a great weekend. Your modelling deserves to be seen in public and I have no doubt your enthusiasm for the hobby was evident for all visitors to see!

Cracking stuff!

David 

• Thanks 1

It was good to meet you and see the layout in real life. I was also lucky to catch a glimpse of the wild Dolgoch at one stage. Apparently there’s a scheme to reintroduce these to other habitats, such as Wales, but ecologists are worried that they will prey on the native De Wintons... :laugh_mini: 

Joking aside, what a great layout! The attention to detail and things like the scribed stonework look even better in reality than in the photos you posted previously.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

It was good to meet you and see the layout in real life. I was also lucky to catch a glimpse of the wild Dolgoch at one stage. Apparently there’s a scheme to reintroduce these to other habitats, such as Wales, but ecologists are worried that they will prey on the native De Wintons... :laugh_mini: 

Joking aside, what a great layout! The attention to detail and things like the scribed stonework look even better in reality than in the photos you posted previously.

Thanks mate. Nice to see you at the show too. Hopefully the wild dolgoch will make a full recovery from being an endangered species. Something that 009 Bachmann range are trying to do by introducing dolgoch look alikes into the wild of model railways.

A couple more photos of stock running at home now. I've got some pictures from the exhibition of locos like the 24 running but I'll save them for another day. In the meantime I think this is a first for the layout, a breakdown crane arrived. I was impressed to see that it cleared the loading gauge under the bridge. The crane has no need to visit the distillery I had actually forgot that I had it. It came in my first ever train set and I weathered it a few years ago. Id love to detail it up though and get it running on Thurwick to add a bit of interest.IMG_20190224_193016004.jpg.f1e7fb4e205ec814bd98ae952168b724.jpg next we have a shot from underneath the bridge of the class 26. After seeing numerous photos of 26s on distillery trains I think it's one of my most prototypical locos. Here it is:IMG_20190226_194307258.jpg.0ad1062606beedb2c08137cae5339a2f.jpg that's all for me for today. By the way in the photo of the 26 you can see how wonky the small crane is coming out of the storage building. Better get that sorted soon.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a bit quite on distillery yard. To me ive finished it so there isn't much more to do to it for me hence why I've moved onto other projects. But, I couldn't resist getting my hands on a new loco for the layout. One of my friends wanted a Crosley and Evans sentinel so I swapped mine (pretty much unused as I never got round to repainting it) for this tarmac livery one. Once the tarmac livery is removed I think it will make quite a nice freelance industrial model. Here it is on the layout IMG_20190317_191929043.jpg.a4d09baf1d746ad3fa0d4e7326ad4955.jpg To me it already looks quite at home. So I've got a list of modifications I'd like to make to it (rebranding, etched name plates, reweathering, crew fitting, DCC and stay alive fitting, kadees fitting, full service) then it should be available to enter traffic. Another fantastic engine from Hornby for the industrial fleet. 

• Like 3

Thanks guys. I have a question Chris, what did you use to remove the branding on your sentinel? I don't want to damage the paint work on mine so probably won't use my normal method of thinners and a sharp blade. 

Thanks ooman, glad you like the sentinels too. The cake was very tasty thanks. Best way to be served at an exhibition. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

Thanks guys. I have a question Chris, what did you use to remove the branding on your sentinel? I don't want to damage the paint work on mine so probably won't use my normal method of thinners and a sharp blade. 

Thanks ooman, glad you like the sentinels too. The cake was very tasty thanks. Best way to be served at an exhibition. :)

Nail varnish remover, applied sparingly, I seem to recall. 

• Like 1

You ought to have some vans for taking away the finished product. I know more about drinking whiskey than making it but I think that it goes out of the distillery in bottles and the barrels that you have in the wagon would come in empty to be filled with freshly made whiskey that is aged in them. I also wouldn't imagine whiskey would be carried in open wagons due to the risk of theft.

I see in your video that you have some track cleaning fluid. You can save money by using a graphite stick instead. Just run it over the rail tops and it not only prevents the surface from oxidising but it is conductive itself. I've used it on my layouts for years and one stick cost me £4 and after 5 years it's still got at least another 5 years of life in it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ruston said:

You ought to have some vans for taking away the finished product. I know more about drinking whiskey than making it but I think that it goes out of the distillery in bottles and the barrels that you have in the wagon would come in empty to be filled with freshly made whiskey that is aged in them. I also wouldn't imagine whiskey would be carried in open wagons due to the risk of theft.

I see in your video that you have some track cleaning fluid. You can save money by using a graphite stick instead. Just run it over the rail tops and it not only prevents the surface from oxidising but it is conductive itself. I've used it on my layouts for years and one stick cost me £4 and after 5 years it's still got at least another 5 years of life in it.

Thanks ruston, I've now ordered a graphite stick. I'd about heard before but never looked into one but good to hear that they are worth the money. I'm still building up stock for the layout and a set of vans are definitely on the shopping list. 

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure this is really that relevant to the actual prototype of distillery yard but since that's my only current Scottish layout I guess I'll post this here. I'd like to introduce the latest addition to the fleet, a Heljan AC railbus. A fantastic model really. It weighs a ton and runs and looks the part too. IMG_20190420_194601602.jpg.e992397a61052a64a7dc89830c7e3610.jpg I've popped a decoder in it and am impressed by it's slow smooth running even over points. Now I'll have to build a Scottish halt .....  ;)

• Like 2

Well they say a layout is never finished. I think I'll just use that excuse so I can add a few more details to the layout. I've added a cat from Langley models which I've painted to look like my own cat who's called marmite. Since she like sitting on the layout so much I though I ought to model her as a bit of a tribute. Here is the added cat on the loading dock of the distillery. 

IMG_20190423_210052419.jpg.81f3b48da5e71acc15f92ba43c9e215f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

On 19/03/2019 at 09:50, Ruston said:

This is a common misconception but whisky moved from the distillery in barrels in open wagons. Most whisky (without an E as it is distilled in Scotland) went by rail to be bottled in Dundee, Edinburgh or Glasgow. There were also large bonded warehouses where the barrels were stored. Hogsheads were 54 gallons and Butts were 108. Draff was also moved away in clean open wagons.

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So some special deliveries for the layout. Firstly, I’ve purchased a class 22 which was used in the speyside region in Scotland. Cracking model from Dapol and would definitely recommend it. Here are a couple of pictures:6F64B90E-342A-4019-A4B1-33CF2ABB0005.jpeg.14946b2c9608435dbdbf9e1032f82984.jpegD920650E-F4F7-4EF2-9752-BF4DA3838F28.jpeg.d1a81b38c51b495efd39f9739e78289f.jpegit needs disks applying and a good weathering then it can become a proper member of the fleet. I’ve also bought and installed NCE powercab which is an awesome system and perfect for small layouts and shunting. I think the panel that I installed on the side of the layout also looks quite smart and makes dcc so much make easier as well as I was previously limited by the capabilities of the Bachman EZ system.

Edited by luke the train spotter
  • Like 2