Distillery yard micro layout - back out on the exhibition circuit

More progress on the Barclay. Now I'm somewhat satisfied with the weathering I have stripped it of its NCB identity, weathered it and fitted a wooden back plate to the cab. This is an attempt by the crews of the distillery to weather proof the loco for the winter months to try and conserve as much heat but it also acts as a good view blocker for the stay alive unit and decoder. I may add some more planking to the sides of the cabs too at a later date.IMG_20191110_194740247.jpg.3098253703f33704f32d39abdee76582.jpgIMG_20191110_194800613.jpg.00bf8ae4f4826b3758f5282d43c76bc3.jpgStill needs crew/lamps/some tools on the running board but Im happy with it for now. It's looking much more like the distillery shunter now.  

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, 1722 said:

The Barclay looks superb, Luke. 

I recall when you built Cronton you didn't want to weather your J94 for fear of ruining it. You've come a very long way with your skills. Great work. 

Thanks Chris! I've had a lot of practice and I think taking risks and just giving something a go had to really helped me learn new skills. 

I'm quite excited to say that distillery yard will be returning to the exhibition circuit next year with an invite for a show in the summer (more on that in a later post) and with that new exhibition opportunity I'd like to make some more improvements to the layout and the stock I run on it. I've recently managed to read a few sections of the fantastic book "iron rails and whisky trails" and realised that I haven't modelled a van train which was very common for every distillery. Since the layout is only small I've started this off with 2 vans. The first (left bottom picture) is a parkside pallet wagon kit. I've never built a parkside kit before and it was an absolute dream. It's currently standing in white primer waiting for the paint shop. The middle wagon is a 12t Bachmann vent van. This just needs a weathering to join the fleet. The third wagon is a 12t Bachmann mineral wagon. Bought second hand and it needs a good weathering and also removing the previous owners weathering attempts but not bad for £8. IMG_20191121_201436877.jpg.2a6cd69f6ea11e98159be2e9fadfec64.jpgOnce these are finished there are some other jobs that need doing like I need to redesign the fiddle yard so that it has shelves to hold more stock, fresh painted backscene, more trees, probably a new layout name board and more barrels to definitely get the point across that this is a distillery. 

• Like 8

14 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

I've never built a parkside kit before and it was an absolute dream. It's currently standing in white primer waiting for the paint shop.

The van looks great. You said it went together well, would this be something a complete begginer could do?

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jbmccarthy said:

The van looks great. You said it went together well, would this be something a complete begginer could do?

I cant think of any reason why not. I have built some wagon kits before but that was a few years back and i found it fairly easy to pick up again and build. I think as long as you build it according to the instructions and dont rush it you’d be fine. Probably the hardest bit is getting the chassis square but this was fairly east to do as the chassis has some plastic tabs to help you glue everything in the right place. The only other thing to note is this wagon doesnt come with couplings but they’re easy enough to fit/lake yourself.

• Informative/Useful 1

32 minutes ago, jbmccarthy said:

I cant think of any reason why not. I have built some wagon kits before but that was a few years back and i found it fairly easy to pick up again and build. I think as long as you build it according to the instructions and dont rush it you’d be fine. Probably the hardest bit is getting the chassis square but this was fairly east to do as the chassis has some plastic tabs to help you glue everything in the right place. The only other thing to note is this wagon doesnt come with couplings but they’re easy enough to fit/lake yourself.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, jbmccarthy said:

They are great kits to start on but you do have to make sure you get the chassis square, as Luke said, don't rush and you'll be fine.

Steve.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I only found your layout earlier today on the Facebook Micro Layouts page. Superb and incredibly atmospheric modelling!

I love the premise of the layout (confirmed whisky drinker ;)), and the new rolling stock looks great. Parkside kits are, imho, among the best of the injection moulded kits available at the moment.

Keep posting the pics!

All the best,

Mark

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

With a bit of spare time over the Christmas break I've weathered some new stock. I used valleyo washes and valleyo powders and they're a joy to use. This comes after a shift to favouring acrylic paints over enamels and I can't recommend the valleyo stuff enough. IMG_20191228_133332913.jpg.e697d896800a249dec7263863e24c7a8.jpgthe photo is a little over exposed but that's just so the camera would bring out the weathering on the wagons more. I should probably stop buying and building stock and get on with that fiddle yard extension so I can store it all somewhere. 

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Looks good Luke, how did you do them and how did you get on with the quicker drying time?

So I had actually tried to weather them previously with a wash I mixed up with a black humbrol enamel and some white spirit which I applied over the models then rubbed off with a cotton bud. I made the stupid mistake of using a gloss finish black paint so once it had dried (24 hours later) I basically had a glossy black finish over the models which was a little frustrating and far from the effect I wanted. With the valleyo washes they were faff free and easy to get the exact right amount out of the bottle. I really liked the faster drying times (15 to 20 minutes) as I got all the wagons re-washed then powders applied in an hour. For the method of application I simply applied the wash over all the wagon then left it for 10 minutes whilst I did the other wagons then came back with a cotton bud and using vertical strokes and a bit of pressure removed most of the wash. I leave it for 10 minutes or so to allow the wash to harden up so when I come to rub most if it off I get a nice streaking effect. The washes I used were the black for the wagon bodies which I was very happy with then the brown wash for the underframes though that needs a little more experimenting with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1