My interest in the Caley is limited and fully sated, thanks. Limited to the ones that were sent north post war - I daren't start looking at another Scottish company with a almost total lack of RTR motive power :unsure:... The chassis under the Barney is a Bachmann pannier with the motor turned 90o to squeeze it in the diminutive body and is one of the earlier versions. The wheels are some 4" underscale but by falling back on using the flange as a starting and finishing point it is passable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's an interesting conversion there to create an 812, though for now my plans for the 700 will be kept on the back burner (I do sort of prefer the Drummond cab to the McIntosh style).   All useful ideas for it once it's been run in a little.....   I have got a Hornby 0-6-0 chassis somewhere from when I tried to convert a J83 into a J36 so that could also be a suitable candidate for some scratchbuilding

Well no transfers, though I do remember there being a 'cheats' method of lining somewhere on this forum (and can't find it now!) which I think covered printing the lining out on paper and then trimming to fit or similar.  only issue with this method is the white edge visible at some points on the paper, but this should be fairly simple to sort before the lining is glued in position 

051.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Long day yesterday, chaos with the trains at Manchester on the way back, but a fairly good time at the Peterborough show. Picked up this rather nice M7 which appears to have had a nasty fall. I already have an old conversion of one to a Class 19 which I picked up several years ago, so unsure whether this M7 will be converted to another Class 19 (I rather like the 19 class), done as 55124 or convert to a 439 class and do as 419 in preserved condition. Well this is sufficiently far down the pipeline so can mull it over. Also picked up some wheels suitable for use on the bogie for Gordon Highlander 

IMG_20191208_162735471.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Work started today on the M7 conversion. First thing was to dig out the old model of 15123, to use for comparison. Whilst not a perfect model of a 19 class I feel that it looks enough like one. An advantage about doing a 19 class with an old M7 is that the bunker can be left untouched when cutting, which is good for keeping it as a secure mounting point to the chassis. First time using the cutting disk.......

IMG_20191218_135843025.jpg

• Like 2

After cutting images. The large break off at the smokebox & boiler front was also seen to with the cutting disk - it terminated at the centre of the boiler, where the moulding line is and I didn't want it to lead to the loco body splitting down the centre. The loco has already got the characteristic crack from the buffer beam to the smokebox

IMG_20191218_173416147.jpg

IMG_20191218_173449478.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Hi

Can you tell me if you have managed to convert a wagon to a smaller size inline with the photos that are available on the internet and also through the yealdons books as well, in the post from last year you had intimated that you were planning to build another more prototypical one later, and this will be based off the size of my still to be completed True Line Models Diagram 22 wagon, I am wishing to model this in 4mm scale and I wondered if you have access to the sizes that you could use to accomplish this or wether I would be better having a go at plastic card and scratch building this wagon as well?

Any help or advice would be greatfuly  

On 02/04/2020 at 13:34, steaurtce said:

you had intimated that you were planning to build another more prototypical one later, and this will be based off the size of my still to be completed True Line Models Diagram 22 wagon

I ended up not converting any rtr wagons to a smaller size, instead designing a basic kit that could be laser cut for an older style mineral wagon, and have cut a spare chassis to build a tender on in future - these wagons are about the size of the Diagram 22, though also take inspiration from some of the pre-grouping wagons in the museum at Bo'ness

Of these generic older style wagons, the wheelbase is about 28mm in 4mm scale, and overall length (to the end of the buffers) is 65mm.  Can't find the Diagram 22 at the moment.  Hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions or even drop a message if that's any easier

Well after reading both your and Ben Alders builds for the 812 class I've taken the plunge and brought a white metal kit built 700 class to convert. Its currently on a Triang chassis which if it can be made to run sweet enough will stay on it.

A few years ago when I scratch built a Jumbo on a Hornby chassis I took it along to show a friend who builds to a high quality in P4 and we placed his jumbo along side mine expecting the worse but we were both surprised at how close they were and we both found it very hard to tell the differences between my 18mm wheels and the 20mm wheels on my friends so from that point onwards using a Hornby chassis and wheels has not been a major concern.

If you think about it the difference is across the wheel is only 2mm which is 1mm each side of the wheel diameter and Hornby rims and thick flanges more than make up for it

• Like 3

My 812 saga is currently on hold :( until I get a chassis sorted to bring the bufferbeam height down (no chance of getting access to the laser cutter like I had originally planned either with the current situation).  That's said, I do have a fair few other projects I can get on with: Have found a working soldering iron in the garage, so can tinker with Glen Douglas's electrics a little bit.  A package also arrived this morning, containing silver solder and flux so I can continue work on a 16mm scale Brazil I've been building (a 16mm scale Quarry Hunslet has also sprouted up from some laser cut parts in the last few days, maybe if I pot it now it'll have grown into a full sized one by the end of this lockdown ;)).  Have been working on some 3ft gauge models, pictures might make it onto here later...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Nice thread. I was just googling, as I have picked one of these pugs up and want to modify it. I like the idea of the makeshift tender, but I am also looking at the small bunker that went between the cab and the saddle and would come out of two little doors in the cab. I'm just not sure where the whistle went ;-)
56027%20Drummond%20Caledonian%20Pugs.-XL

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 15/06/2021 at 14:08, Esmedune said:

Nice thread. I was just googling, as I have picked one of these pugs up and want to modify it. I like the idea of the makeshift tender, but I am also looking at the small bunker that went between the cab and the saddle and would come out of two little doors in the cab. I'm just not sure where the whistle went ;-)
56027%20Drummond%20Caledonian%20Pugs.-XL

Looks like an interesting modification to have a go at, I think the bunker extensions were made from whatever material was to hand, it looks like the whistle is buried under coal in that picture!  I've got another battered Smokey Joe which I've now got running so I'm looking at ideas for what to do with it - missing the chimney, so I've got one of my 3D printed ones ready but very tempted to do it as an NCB engine with wasp strips front and rear.