Lima/Bachmann 94xx conversion.

• RMweb Gold

Another one for the 'to do' list for this loco; thanks for the suggestion, 34.  How much of the to do list actually gets to be done depends on how long I take to get around to ticking off jobs and how rapidly Bachmann extract their corporate digit and supply me with a new 94xx, at which time this one will be withdrawn from service and the chassis redeployed under the 8750, as will the bunker hook brackets.  I am hopeful that the Bachmann, if it ever shows up, will be a pretty accurate and superior beast; there won't be much point otherwise.  If it's on a par with my 57xx and 64xx I'll be happy, but still be considering this modification which seems fairly straightforward and will, I am sure, improve the appearance considerably!

• RMweb Gold

Finished for now, so here are before and after shots as promised.  Not perfect, and work still to do; the main omission is the cab glazing, awaiting delivery at Lord and Butler later in the week, and the numberplates.  Some handrails are still mouldy, and the smokebox dart needs replacing, as does the rear cab windows, and the photo is very cruel to my filler caps and safety valve cover; doesn't look anything like that bad in reality (though of course it is).  Red spot route restriction needs re-applying after I put it in the wrong place, but she was ready for her photo, so...

It'll do till Bachman turn up a better model.

Thanks again for the kickstart, Ian, and I hope my butchery of your old 94xx meets with less than your complete disapproval

That looks pretty good Johnster. There are so many tweaks you can perform, where do you start? It's just the sort of job where you have an hour:- Thinks:- " I know, I'll make the bunker brackets" sort of thing. I've just removed all of the moulded handrails from my loco body. The next little job is all of the handrails to go back on, but in a more realistic profile. I've got plenty of time; my pragmatic ghost tells me I wont see the Bachmann model anytime soon. I'm even thinking about another foray onto Eh_Ba_Gum.

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Ian.  As you say, there are plenty of little 'hour or two as and when I'm in the mood' jobs which will be done over time; handrails, coal, dart, whistle guard (was gonna use 8709's but broke it getting it off, can prolly scratchbuild one), cylinder cover removal, vac pipes.  It's already got 8709's front drawhook and bunker brackets, which are the wrong shape and could stand replacement; they will end up on the 8750 or 2761.  A 1950s built 94xx should, presumably, be issued with a set of BR pattern lamps, so mine will be.

8709 might possibly donate a cab front to 2761 as well; it's much better than the Hornby one, and could accompany a new roof.  

I am a little more positive in my prognosis regarding the time scale for the Bachmann model, and haven't given up on sometime next year, but I'm a sanguine penguin and won't be surprised if it doesn't happen.  The price is currently £124 in the online catalogue, but there is still no CAD or pre-production photo and prototypes are pictured; no 'expected date' is given.  But I have a more chilled attitude to the whole thing now that I have the LImbach 'for now'.  But I will continue my relentless haranguing of Baccy on the matter at any opportunity; it probably won't make a difference but it gets it off my chest...

As for eeh bah gum, I'll give that a rest for a while; it's dreadfully time consuming even if you restrict yourself to 'buy it now' items and there is some appalling dross to sort through before you find anything worth the bother.  I'm not actually looking for anything there at the moment, and I'd rather be operating!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a delay waiting for a delivery of Krystal Klear to Lord and Butler's,which never showed (not Peter or Adrian's fault), followed by being able to pick up some Glue 'n' Glaze at Antics, I have glazed the 94xx's cab windows and lightly glued the body on to the chassis; the loco is now essentially complete.  I haven't used this stuff before and was a bit dubious at first, as the sheet of liquid I pulled across the reveals was pretty milky and opaque, but it has dried clear and doesn't look too bad!  I still prefer plastiglaze but this is ideal for places too awkward to get to for plastic back glazing; I've done my 2 Airfix large prairie bodies as well.

I have probably got enough to last me about a century at the rate I am likely to be using it, but it was well worth the £6.40 and the wait.

Numberplates (ordering next week) and handrail detail still to do, and an etch for the cab rear window bars.  Even at the speed at which I model, that of continental drift, I still reckon I can beat Bachmann to a fully finished 94xx, though!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I thought it wasone of the laws of railway modelling that nothing was ever totally finished

Tim T

Modelling the Cynon Valley in EM

This is exactly my understanding of the situation.  To be fair, the real Cynon Valley isn't finished yet.

• RMweb Gold

And if anyone knew what she was talking about, she did...

My 94xx is closer to being finished this evening, having acquired some coal in the bunker and a whistle shield.  Other news just in; the Bachmann crew from 2761 who have been transferred to 94xx duty have been replaced on 2761 by a pair from Springside, who, despite describing themselves on the packet as Loco Crew (Painted) included a goods guard.  He will take up position on one of the toads' verandahs.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The 94xx's identity has been settled; I've just ordered a batch of etched numberplates from Modelmaster Jackson Evans, and the loco will be 8448. supplied new to Tondu on 31/06/1954 and withdrawn from Tondu 31/08/1959, a ridiculously short working life, but the only loco that spent it's entire working life at this shed AFAIK, certainly during my period!  If you are modelling the Tondu valleys in the 50s, you've got to include 8448; the plates will be transferred to the new Bachmann version when I get one!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Here's mine. Lima body ,detailed, with a Hornby railroad chassis. These can easily be obtained via the SDJR jinty for 24 quid, or you might find one cheaper second hand. 

The wheels are a tiny bit too large but looks OK. As for detailing, I've added Springside lamps, real coal, glazing, smokebox plate and several painted parts. Also planning to add some rods below the wheels on the chassis, and I'm going to get some etched plates from Narow planet. Number is 9420 and in early black livery. 

IMG_20190414_095451.jpg.23cbbf8e7055e71609809a646490eed1.jpg

Front on view

IMG_20190314_185817.jpg.5604e2852e7bc34f7c13fa1e2ce3c4f2.jpg

With some other members of the fleet

Screenshot_20190415-100231.png.445ebe727f5219ce3088a76cc5ecbbd0.png

Rear view. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

And very smart she looks, too.  I opted for the Baccy 57xx chassis because it has GW type fishbelly coupling rods whereas the Hornby generic 0-6-0 has parallel fluted ones.  I have a pannier with this chassis, a Hornby 2721 half cab.  It’s a good slow runner, but not quite in the Baccy class!  But it’s a massive improvement on the horror that originally sat beneath that perfectly good Lima body. 

8448 continues to give excellent service, but will be withdrawn when the new Baccy appears; the chassis will then be looking for an eBay 57xx body to live beneath.  The number plates will be transferred to the new Baccy 94xx. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

And very smart she looks, too.  I opted for the Baccy 57xx chassis because it has GW type fishbelly coupling rods whereas the Hornby generic 0-6-0 has parallel fluted ones.  I have a pannier with this chassis, a Hornby 2721 half cab.  It’s a good slow runner, but not quite in the Baccy class!  But it’s a massive improvement on the horror that originally sat beneath that perfectly good Lima body. 

8448 continues to give excellent service, but will be withdrawn when the new Baccy appears; the chassis will then be looking for an eBay 57xx body to live beneath.  The number plates will be transferred to the new Baccy 94xx. 

Yes the Bachmann one looks good. Someone I know got given a Graham farish metal 94xx body in faded green. We did the same job to that by fitting a Hornby chassis he had. The reason I didn't use a Bachmann chassis for mine was that I could not find any apart from in a whole loco, cheapest good one being 40 pounds. 

Anyway, we repainted into great western black. The livery is fictional but he liked it. The loco Is very powerful due to the weight, unlike mine which needs weight added. 

Here's a couple of photos I took of his 94xx whilst on temporary to my layout . Both his and mine are scheduled to double head in my gala in June. 

IMG_20190403_180405.jpg

IMG_20190403_180300.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I’ve stuffed mine full of ‘liquid gravity’ as well as the original Lima ballast, but it still struggles a bit with loaded coal trains; so does one of my much heavier Baccy 56xx.  It romps away with anything else I can hang behind it, though. 

Never heard of liquid gravity, looked it up now, looks quite useful. I usually run 3-5 coach trains on my preserved railway layout so my 94xx is usually fine with 4, struggles a bit with 5.

Do you know what region the 94s worked in. My railway is set in Devon so I'm mainly gwr, but with a bit of southern. 

Edited by GWR5764

• RMweb Gold

Liquid Gravity, not cheap but very useful, is small lead ballbearings or shot, which can fill a space as if it was liquid.  A dilute PVA mix can then seal it in place.  

94xx are most associated with the Paddington ecs workings, which was their highest profile job, but they were spread all over the WR including Devon.  The biggest concentration of them was in South Wales, which accounted for about half the 210 built, understandable as part of the reason they were built was to replace older pre-grouping constituent 0-6-2Ts that were approaching the ends of their useful lives.  So you can certainly include one on a Devon layout.  

There are 2 slightly different types, the original 10, 9400-10 built at Swindon, which had a higher boiler pressure and were built in 1947 by the GWR.  These initially carried unlined green G W R initials livery.

The other 200, 9411-99, 8400-99, and 3400-9, built in that order by BR between 1949 and 1954, originally carried unlined black livery with the unicycling lion totem.  Some of these locos were built by outside contractors and will have small differences in the builders' plates.  All locos had GW copper capped chimneys.  There was one visual difference, as the original 10 had a sloping plate between the frames on the front of the footplate ahead of the smokebox to cover the tops of the inside cylinders; the Lima model shows this.  The 'BR production' locos did not have this and the tops of the cylinders, the valve chests, were half visible.  The new Bachmann loco is to be produced in both versions, but converting the Lima to the 'production' type is quite hard work and weakens the structure at a point where one has already removed plastic to clear the Bachmann chassis; I have not done it.

If you are modelling the GWR pre-nationalistion period, only the first 10 are suitable.  Your layout looks from the photos to be a fairly main line affair, which is good because these were heavy engines, with the red dot route restriction, and are not really a typical branch line loco.  Check out RailUK website which will give you shed allocations for your area in 1948; if none of the original 10 were in the area, you'll have to invoke Rule 1!  Some of the later built locos were in service for a very short time before being scrapped; my own prototype, 8448, only lasted from 1954 until 1959.

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Liquid Gravity, not cheap but very useful, is small lead ballbearings or shot, which can fill a space as if it was liquid.  A dilute PVA mix can then seal it in place.  

94xx are most associated with the Paddington ecs workings, which was their highest profile job, but they were spread all over the WR including Devon.  The biggest concentration of them was in South Wales, which accounted for about half the 210 built, understandable as part of the reason they were built was to replace older pre-grouping constituent 0-6-2Ts that were approaching the ends of their useful lives.  So you can certainly include one on a Devon layout.  

There are 2 slightly different types, the original 10, 9400-10 built at Swindon, which had a higher boiler pressure and were built in 1947 by the GWR.  These initially carried unlined green G W R initials livery.

The other 200, 9411-99, 8400-99, and 3400-9, built in that order by BR between 1949 and 1954, originally carried unlined black livery with the unicycling lion totem.  Some of these locos were built by outside contractors and will have small differences in the builders' plates.  All locos had GW copper capped chimneys.  There was one visual difference, as the original 10 had a sloping plate between the frames on the front of the footplate ahead of the smokebox to cover the tops of the inside cylinders; the Lima model shows this.  The 'BR production' locos did not have this and the tops of the cylinders, the valve chests, were half visible.  The new Bachmann loco is to be produced in both versions, but converting the Lima to the 'production' type is quite hard work and weakens the structure at a point where one has already removed plastic to clear the Bachmann chassis; I have not done it.

If you are modelling the GWR pre-nationalistion period, only the first 10 are suitable.  Your layout looks from the photos to be a fairly main line affair, which is good because these were heavy engines, with the red dot route restriction, and are not really a typical branch line loco.  Check out RailUK website which will give you shed allocations for your area in 1948; if none of the original 10 were in the area, you'll have to invoke Rule 1!  Some of the later built locos were in service for a very short time before being scrapped; my own prototype, 8448, only lasted from 1954 until 1959.

Just checked and 9420 was based at Old Oak and Reading - so not the correct area, although probably she could have been seen elsewhere on occasions. She lasted 14 years (built 1950, scrapped 1964. The thing is, my layout is based in the preservation era, so I can be more flexible with what I run, though most of my stock I run is GWR and BR(W), and my station is mainly 1930s. 

So I think, if 9420 was preserved, then she would be OK on my layout. 

The layout is supposed to represent part of a branchline (not mainline, because of the tight curves) on the edge of South-West dartmoor, so the double track is supposedly only a small section of the branch, perhaps just because it is near the station. I guess a bit like the double track section near Bewdley on the SVR. 

For my next layout I will use single track, probably peco bullhead, or if some locos struggle with that, code 75. 

Just bought a couple of wagons to do, a Parkside beetle prize cattle van to make up, and an unpainted Dapol fruit van to paint. Quick question - I would like to paint the fruit van in brown, however after research I discovered the 8t mex fruit vans the Dapol one represents, seem to only be in grey. Do you know whether I could get away with it in brown, to match my GW horsebox and soon to be running w7 beetle prize cattle van?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

DON'T USE PVA WITH LEAD!

Sorry to shout but the lead reacts with the glue and expands so it will ruin whatever it is fixed into. There are several discussions on RMweb about this - search for "Lead and PVA" for example, including the quotation marks.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve used ‘Liquid Gravity’ sealed with PVA on several projects without problems, but in view of this warning will no longer recommend it.  It is possible that Liquid Gravity does not contain lead which might be why I’ve got away with it, but anyone proposing to emulate my example might benefit from checking the composition of these substances.  Thank you for your warning, St Enodoc!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GWR5764 said:

Just checked and 9420 was based at Old Oak and Reading - so not the correct area, although probably she could have been seen elsewhere on occasions. She lasted 14 years (built 1950, scrapped 1964. The thing is, my layout is based in the preservation era, so I can be more flexible with what I run, though most of my stock I run is GWR and BR(W), and my station is mainly 1930s. 

So I think, if 9420 was preserved, then she would be OK on my layout. 

The layout is supposed to represent part of a branchline (not mainline, because of the tight curves) on the edge of South-West dartmoor, so the double track is supposedly only a small section of the branch, perhaps just because it is near the station. I guess a bit like the double track section near Bewdley on the SVR. 

For my next layout I will use single track, probably peco bullhead, or if some locos struggle with that, code 75. 

Just bought a couple of wagons to do, a Parkside beetle prize cattle van to make up, and an unpainted Dapol fruit van to paint. Quick question - I would like to paint the fruit van in brown, however after research I discovered the 8t mex fruit vans the Dapol one represents, seem to only be in grey. Do you know whether I could get away with it in brown, to match my GW horsebox and soon to be running w7 beetle prize cattle van?

I fear not in GWR days, although they were bauxite in BR days. You might consider a Fruit D if you want a fruit van you can run in brown - both Parkside and Dapol do these.

• Thanks 1