MTH coaches

Trigger123

Depends what series you are mentioning! British or foreign? The British carriages that came with the Harry Potter set or the GW Shakespeare set are quite good but suffer the usual constraints, size and slightly off scale. The premium carriages are very good if you like US and other foreign railways

Wasn't the harry potter set made by Lionel?? MTH had some stanier LMS coaches and parcel vans with 3 rail coarse scale wheels/bogies, a finer scale bogie set could be bought. Scale link were the uk supplier

Edited by kernowtim

They are available with fine-scale wheelsets and are quite nice models at the price. They lack flush glazing but are generally more accurate than the Heljan Mk 1s at double the price!

post-12623-0-77889000-1529013873_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you it was the stanier new ones i was looking at

I think that they were intending to widen the range. The first ones released were a rather odd selection with too many Open/Vestibule coaches to make up a typical train.

I agree with HSB that the Stanier coaches are hood for the price and are available with fine scale wheel sets. The recessed glazing is a negative point as is the fact that the brake shoes are not in line with the wheels. I have the full brake on Ramchester which has been modified by the removal of the brake shoes and I am pleased with the model. Please look at my thread on these coaches elsewhere on RMweb and see what others have said.

I was tempted to buy a set and say to hell with the non flush windows but so far I have not succumbed. Judging by the number which seem to be around on exhibitions they are popular and most purchasers seem happy with them. For the money I feel that they are very good value for money and when on the layout the above criticisms do not really show.

Hope this is useful.

Rod

• Like 1

Depends what series you are mentioning! British or foreign? The British carriages that came with the Harry Potter set or the GW Shakespeare set are quite good but suffer the usual constraints, size and slightly off scale. The premium carriages are very good if you like US and other foreign railways

Wasn't the harry potter set made by Lionel?? MTH had some stanier LMS coaches and parcel vans with 3 rail coarse scale wheels/bogies, a finer scale bogie set could be bought. Scale link were the uk supplier  

Of course! :senile:  Got carried away :banghead:

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

These have been so popular and the window recesses are SO apparent (to my eyes anyway) that it surprises me somewhat that no-one has offered aftermarket flush glazing products. Otherwise excellent products at the price.

Kubes

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

To resurrect on old post. Adrian at torri laser is making the flush glazing windows for me. He is doing a set which is suitable for all there coaches so you will have spares Parts. He is charging £10 a coach. is anyone else interested in these? If so let me know. I calling him back in a weeks time to confirm numbers. I have no cash interest in this he is just setting the machine up to produce this and said if he gets more order now it’s much easier then doing occasional sets. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 years later...

Based on the grand total of one that I have owned, a BG, and as it happens fitted with coarse wheels, because that’s what I run, not that it makes a difference to the rest of the vehicle: good for the money, reasonably well detailed, but not bristling with bits that are overly fragile. Very steady runner, and I believe dimensionally accurate.

The only gripe I had was that changing the couplers from the monstrous US knuckles that they came with, to the European coarse drop-links involved undoing and doing up again about a million tiny screws - I’ve never seen so much disassembly required to change a coupler!

Sold it recently, because the painted finish of the ABS body looked out of kilter with rest of my stock, too mat, and it will be replaced by a vintage Exley one with a bit of sheen to it.