Revolution TEA 2mm 100 Tonne Tanks

Chrisjh

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just in case anyone interested in this thread missed it, we are offering a new run of TEA tankers in 2019.

For more information see the announcement on our news pages here: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/news/

We will be seeking pre-orders in the usual way in due course.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Mike's comment above prompted to post about the next run of TEA tankers.

At the moment we are still in the preparatory research stages, which means it is unlikely that the order book will be opening for at least another couple of months.

cheers

Ben A.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

You were a bit quick for me!  Here is a bit more information... about the next run of tanks we are offering to produce, if there is sufficient interest:

It's now nearly two and a half years since we delivered the TEA as Britain's first crowdfunded RTR model, and we think the time could be right for another run.

Rerunning is a first for Revolution Trains, and even though we have had lots of people at shows and online telling us they want more - either to add to what they have, or because they missed out first time -  we're honestly not sure of demand.

The Expressions of Interest page can be found here:

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/tea-wagon-project/n-gauge-tea-2nd-run-expressions-of-interest/

Obviously no money is being taken now; we will assess the demand over the next two weeks or so and then actually offer up for order those that look like they are going to be successful.

As well as all the original versions, we are offering some that have not been done before.

First among these is the new pale grey version used for aviation fuel, and hauled by Freightliner.  These wagons were introduced last year, so have been built since our original models were produced!  This pic showing the train at Crayford courtesy of Ian Cuthbertson:

66532_Crayford_Ian_Cuthbertson.jpg.47322fdb5b4d195555a13ec15eb787c7.jpg

1800781487_TEA-VTGaviation.jpg.985ffc8ce4baf085353651ee3e2e6650.jpg

The wagons are slightly different to the original versions, with no ladders, shortened catwalks and an overflow sensor conduit at one end. Our model will portray these variations.  Here's the revised CAD:

IMG_7468.jpg.ac0069d133a3e78e67d55ada2c072246.jpg

We are also offering the ex-Freightliner green ones now rebranded VTG, and the debranded EWS grey ones used by DB Cargo.  There are still plenty with the EWS visible, but it has been painted out on a few:

737179068_TEA-VTGgreen.jpg.7e8e418dc99d4ac79f0fcc1c31947c5a.jpg

78939378_TEA-EWSdebranded.jpg.9aab2f4ef20a17bdeea7c7efc3d9a510.jpg

Also available, if there is interest, is another run of the VTG enviro blue wagons featuring slogans that were not depicted first time round.  I think there are six different slogans in all in use, so this would complete the set.

1808833578_VTGenviroversions4-6.jpg.4d404999006baa59b13dda12f6469e86.jpg

We are also offering up some of the earlier versions we didn't produce first time round.  The reason we didn't was that our barrel tooling doesn't allow for the correct catwalk - on ours the catwalks are full length, while on these wagons it ends just after the third hatch.  Tooling a new barrel would increase the price significantly, and we do get feedback telling us that price is an issue, so we are offering these at the same price as the rest but with the catwalks we already have.  It is obviously up to customers to decide whether this compromise is acceptable; if it is not then the market has spoken!

These are Petrochem Carless:

2598347_TEA-PetrochemCarless.jpg.d3095957d9e8e2f0733934c9efa1865c.jpg

Plus unbranded VTG Blue and Grey.  The blue ones tend to be mixed in with other tanks, while the grey ones are mixed in but also associated with the Stalybridge styrene flow.

134315704_TEA-unbrandedblue.jpg.5cc016e36a1dfe747933e04584a954ce.jpg

1556717860_TEA-unbrandedgrey.jpg.b29bc622c498e9279fca561567091cdb.jpg

Also worth noting that any of the original liveries that make it over the line will feature different running numbers to the first run.

We expect the price to be around £32, but we are not asking for money at this stage, just an indication of interest.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking to buy a VTG rake this time, which I couldn’t afford to do last time. Pretty sure that non-enviro VTG blue was available from the first production run, but doesn’t seem available on the ‘expressions’ form this time around.... or am I mistaken about last time???

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Think I’ve figured this out; last time it was this: VTG blue: Single wagon: VTG 88143

.... and for this production run it is referred to as VTG Conoco blue, which I’m guessing are the same thing (and presumably they were a Conoco flow last time too?).

So I guess that prompts my next question; I presume it would not be correct to intermingle the [Conoco] VTG blue with the enviro VTG [dark] blue....?

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Graham,

The response to the expressions of interest exercise nearly two years ago  was underwhelming, and to justify a second run we needed considerably more interest, so we decided to postpone a second run to allow demand to grow.

There will be another run, however at this time we haven’t decided when.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Thanks 1

Hi, Ben and Mike

Happy New Year to you both and many thanks for all your continued hard work in what must be a very challenging field at present.

Re the 2mm scale 100t TEAs, I don't know how much work would be involved in back-dating the model, but I would be seriously interested in a rake of blue tanks of the 88020-80 batch. Presumably that would also open up the possibility for the attractive gas condensate tanks which run between North Walsham and Harwich. That's just my personal take on the model.

Anyway, thank you very much for all your work, and looking forward to postie knocking on the door several times this year with more RevolutioN goodies

Regards

Steve

3 hours ago, stevea said:

Re the 2mm scale 100t TEAs, I don't know how much work would be involved in back-dating the model, but I would be seriously interested in a rake of blue tanks of the 88020-80 batch. Presumably that would also open up the possibility for the attractive gas condensate tanks which run between North Walsham and Harwich. That's just my personal take on the model.

I posed this question on another forum back in 2015 and got these replies from the Revolution team

From Ben

"although the catwalk is shorter on the earlier builds for some reason they have fixing points along the full length of the tank, meaning in theory offering this type as a further variant may be feasible.

They do also have a different top vent arrangement too (three in line, as opposed to three in a circle) which may be awkward, so once we reach the model CAD stage we will take a view on whether we can offer the 2001 variant as an additional model or not"

From Mike

"at the moment we have no plans to do the original 2001 build as our feeling is that it starts to mean either too many compromises on the model or significantly more expensive tooling"

I guess that if not enough business can be generated by a second run using the existing tooling, which represents the 2006 build, then it will be unlikely that any of the 2001 build will appear in N.  I'd sell my EWS rake if the blue CAIB ones ever come on the market.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

My post above from 2019 explains how we had offered the the early blue and Petrochem Carless slightly compromised for our existing tooling. 

We have done the CAD to allow the Colnbrook tanks can be accurately produced without ladders/end platform and with the overflow sensor.  These are probably the ones that I would most like to see, though I accept the plain pale grey livery is not quite as exciting as some of the other more colourful ones.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1