Beasts photos - ongoing - last update : 05 February 2019

• RMweb Gold

I welcome comments about the content of the photos, the workings, the vehicles or anything - each caption / photo has a DASnnnnnn reference, please refer to that when commenting but I want to avoid this topic getting too side tracked so don't wander too far - thanks.

I make no apologies for the quality of the photos, they were taken starting 30+ years ago, my first cameras were fairly basic, as were (and still are) my skills behind the camera, the very first camera being a FED range finder with no TTL so often things were misjudged ! (TTL= through the lens = see what you are taking at the time of taking)

Some of the negatives are curved, it's possible to buy a negative holder which claims to flatten them but at  over £100 I won't be doing that just yet. so some of the scans are fuzzy but this is not (always) a reflection on the quality of the original.
Some are damaged slightly but I'm not spending time correcting the faults, I have too many to scan, maybe one day I'll return to them and do something better, maybe not. Some could have been cleaned better, but again time is the issue and I've made my choice so please accept it.

The subjects are "as they come" - the negatives are filed and are not in chronological order so the images will butterfly around, again I'm not spending time to resolve this, they are what they are. Enjoy them (hopefully) or ignore the thread.
Some of the photos have been posted before, for a while I photographed my old photos but these are, at least on paper negative better quality and there's a lot more of them.

Enjoy ... they've brought back many memories for me - and still do, I have ca 125,000 more to scan.

Edit :

Some of the photos are apparently "trespass shots" - all my photos were taken with permission and under the watchful eye of signalmen, shed foremen etc. - the railway was a different world 30/40 years ago.

Edited by beast66606
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Ok - we're off.

Enjoy ... they've brought back many memories for me - and still do, I have ca 125,000 more to scan.

Looking forward to them - whatever the photographic quality, they'll have a historic quality and that counts for a lot more IMHO.

• RMweb Gold

A great start; looking forward to seeing more as you scan them.

DAS000003 - was it normal to have wrong line working? There doesn’t seem to be a need looking at the other photos and point work.

It was rationalisation - accelerated by a derailment - which meant that the facing move (right line) was no longer available, so the trains had to run wrong line between Ellesmere Port No.4 and Ellesmere Port No.2. The view in DAS000002 shows the crossover still in place but it was out of use at the time.

125,000???

My goodness, you could post 3 a day, every day of the year for well over 100 years. 

I may miss many thousands due to death :(

• RMweb Gold

I've had a few problems uploading the next batch to Flickr but they are now on however I'm writing myself a little utility (software) so reformat my description and the Flickr link so I can get all the info, in the right format, with a couple of copy / paste commands - so "bear with" as the kids say.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Excellent pictures Dave, were the pilots out of service because the blast furnaces had closed?

Quite a mixed fleet, are they NBL and hunslets?

Hi Russ, not sure of the reason but they were certainly out of service. No further details I'm afraid, I took the shots on a whim while looking out of the back of Dee Marsh Junction signal box. It#s a pity I didn't wander over and take some more detailed shots - hindsight and all that.

• Like 1

Excellent pictures Dave, were the pilots out of service because the blast furnaces had closed?

Quite a mixed fleet, are they NBL and hunslets?

A large and diverse fleet at that time. 3, 4 and 8 are NBL (DH), 6 Yorkshire Engine (DE) and 27 Hunslet (DM).

Beast

Many thanks for posting these. Never seen a revolving dummy as you posted above, well not on these shores, it would appear to follow continental practice in principle, especially regarding points indicators.

Can I request photos from Reddish TMD if you have some?

Cheers and thanks for posting your pics.

Back in the day when we all had to use film, it wasn't particularly cheap so most of us didn't bother 'wasting' film on such details.

Glad you did sir, and well done.

• RMweb Gold

Beast

Many thanks for posting these. Never seen a revolving dummy as you posted above, well not on these shores, it would appear to follow continental practice in principle, especially regarding points indicators.

Can I request photos from Reddish TMD if you have some?

Cheers and thanks for posting your pics.

Back in the day when we all had to use film, it wasn't particularly cheap so most of us didn't bother 'wasting' film on such details.

Glad you did sir, and well done.

Thanks,

Revolving discs were quite common in the early days of British railway signalling, a development of a point indicator, some companies continued with them and others dropped them and changed design - the LNWR adopted miniature arms for example.

Reddish and the grounded Tommies will come in time, but it's a long way off I'm afraid.

• RMweb Gold

DAS000041
Ellesmere Port
08/08/1981(Saturday)
Ellesmere Port No.2 Down starter with Ellesmere Port No.4 inner distant, Tubular Steel, straight post, upper quadrant
41109426960_3a4bd64aeb_c.jpg
DAS000041 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

DAS000042
Ellesmere Port
08/08/1981(Saturday)
Ellesmere Port No.2 Up Home 2, Lattice main stem and tubular steel doll, right hand bracket, upper quadrant. Redundant pivot for Ellesmere Port No.1 up distant
28050628597_2f9dbc8b1a_c.jpg
DAS000042 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Mickle Trafford signal box reminds me of the long gone Flettons Siding Signal Box, Bletchley, just down the road from where I was born and bred. Excellent Photographs, many thanks for sharing, keep them coming!