Beasts photos - ongoing - last update : 05 February 2019

• RMweb Gold

DAS000987

Liverpool Lime Street

25/03/1981 (Wednesday)

86255, Penrith Beacon, on 07:21, Liverpool Lime Street - Poole in platform 8 at Lime Street

45086579945_d090d6d2c9_b.jpg

DAS000987 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

look at the numbering! if I made such a hash of it I would be gutted LOL

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

To echo others comments, yes please do keep posting your fascinating photos of "railway history". As you may have guessed from my previous comments on this thread, my main interest is the "infrastructure" side of the railway rather than the locos, dmus, other rolling stock etc., (although they do come a close second) and I let others far more knowledgeable in this area provide comments, but please don't take my lack of comment on the rolling stock etc. as a "not interested" response. I must admit I'm less than confident in identifying dmus/emus (diesel and electric locos, no problem) and would only embarrass myself in public if I tried.

That said, back to "infrastructure", interesting arrangement with what I assume are 'block switches' between the two "penguins" in DAS000999, whereby the switches are "mechanically" coupled to each other, presummably to ensure that both switches are operated when the 'box is switched out, rather than one being switched and the other 'forgotten' about. Not seen this before and I assume that too many circuits required switching and a larger block switch was not available.

Please do keep posting, the photos are most fascinating and enjoyable.

• RMweb Gold

That said, back to "infrastructure", interesting arrangement with what I assume are 'block switches' between the two "penguins" in DAS000999, whereby the switches are "mechanically" coupled to each other, presummably to ensure that both switches are operated when the 'box is switched out, rather than one being switched and the other 'forgotten' about. Not seen this before and I assume that too many circuits required switching and a larger block switch was not available.

I assume it's purpose was to ensure that when Huyton switched out, the branch was closed to traffic so nothing would arrive at the outer home with the junction box shut !

The main line was switched through to Rainhill and Olve Mount - not sure Huyton ever actually swtiched out though, maybe Sunday night for a few hours.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave, what you're posting is probably the most comprehensive collection of photos from one individual, particularly from around the NW, that probably readily exists.  It's made all the more richer because it's not just locomotives, but the infrastructure which is generally taken for granted.

The fact that so far the photos are predominantly from the early/mid-70s onwards is a bonus for me, and I suspect also for a good number of others on the forum who have now reached or are approaching 'a certain age'.

Posting these is a selfless act and I applaud you for it, and I very much hope that you will continue.

For my part, I will make a more concerted effort to not just 'like' but actively help with any missing information where I'm able.     

• RMweb Gold

Last batch to take my shared photos to the 1000 mark

DAS000998

Huyton

05/06/1982 (Saturday)

Levers 1-27 in Huyton Junction signal box

32127177378_343949cff8_b.jpg

DAS000998 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

Please, please, please comment on the photos - especially the units and stock as I know little about them, just the class would be good. I'll admit I'm wondering about the merits of continuing this thread, I know there are people who like the photos and some comment and provide assistance - I realise not every photo needs a comment and not everyone knows things but there have been quite a few things posted and no-one commented and I'm sure that someone would recognise the class of unit in the photo. If the caption doesn't mention it, then I've either missed it or don't know it - It takes time and effort for me to share them, please help with information when you can, if I spend my time identifying things that some can identify by sight then I'll have less time (and inclination) to spend sharing the photos - and I currently have over 800,0000 ...  Sorry for the moan.

Please don't kill this thread - I NEED IT!

The Levers in DAS000998, it's interesting that Levers 18, 22, 23 and 25 have the "spare" white painted Loop Handles. Presumably these were swapped over after the originals wore out.

What does the central white painted bar mean in the middle of the Red Lever #17?

Thanks, again, as these photos are my main source for the wealth of detail that is going to be added to my 5" gauge Signal Cabin.

Kev.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Please don't kill this thread - I NEED IT!

The Levers in DAS000998, it's interesting that Levers 18, 22, 23 and 25 have the "spare" white painted Loop Handles. Presumably these were swapped over after the originals wore out.

What does the central white painted bar mean in the middle of the Red Lever #17?

Thanks, again, as these photos are my main source for the wealth of detail that is going to be added to my 5" gauge Signal Cabin.

Kev.

Some boxes had the lever handles coated, I think the white handles are showing the remains of that.

The chevrons are detonator places, pointing up for up lines and down for down lines.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave but I meant red Lever #17 and not the striped Lever #18.

Kev.

As Eric says but it's a bit more.

It means it's electrically released by another box although at Huyton it was line clear

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Dave but I meant red Lever #17 and not the striped Lever #18.

Kev.

I think it means that signal lever is released (electrically) by "Line Clear".

Ooops, beaten to it (but it is satisfying to know I got it right!).

Edited by iands
  • Like 1

Please continue - I have greatly appreciated the efforts of you and others on these threads who take the time to digitize collections like this and post the results.  For an ex-pat like me, resources like rmweb and others are absolutely invaluable.

• RMweb Gold

Please keep posting them.

I may not comment on them (though I will when you post of pl;aces I know well) but I really enjoy them and they are a very valuable resource for those interested in the areas you visited.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave, the thread is a great resource of signalling and other information across what currently seems to be a popular era for modelling. Even something snatched from a window of a passing train which was ignored and filed away at the time can contain a rare bit of long lost information.

I hope to see your pictures appearing on the net for a long time to come.

Eric.

• RMweb Gold

Please continue posting the pictures as the pics around the Chester area bring back so many memories from when I lived in Chester in the early 80's I've not commented because of my inferior knowledge as I was but a young boy back in the 80's but this is what gave me my interest in Railways.

This thread is like a time machine for me so please continue.

All the best 

Colin 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all.

I'll continue posting - currently struggling with Flickr again so nothing further uploaded. Hopefully my BroadBand will be upgraded "soon" (whatever that means) from around 6mb to 1GB so there should be a slight improvement in uploading and hopefully this will mean Flickr will be less painful to add photos to.

But ...

please add any information you can, especially the class to any DMU photos, I post, don't assume I know it, if the caption doesn't describe it then I don't know it - I am hoping those who know about such things can add that detail and save me the time to find it, which means I have more time to spend scanning and uploading - and obviously corrections are always welcomed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for you to continue !!

As a young trainspotter I was only interested in the actual trains, this thread is a great reminder of all the other fascinating aspects of the railway, that I should have taken more notice of at the time !

I'll chip in with info when I can, but please don't take 'radio silence' to mean your efforts aren't appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Gold

For info : I'm having trouble with Flickr at the moment, it takes ages to upload a photo and trying to upload several at once is even worse, I haven't got the time or the inclination to hand hold the upload so I'm currently "on hold" pending our broad band upgrade