43241636204_c2ba83c519_c.jpg

DAS000275 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

DAS000276

Bolton Trinity Street

08/07/1981

Bolton West Junction signal box

30091611758_24d5647c4d_c.jpg

DAS000276 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

That can't be real - the curves are like a trainset...……

I always liked that end of Bolton where the down main crosses towards the Darwen line.

Very different these days - but I haven't got an up to date view as a comparison.

Must do so if only to see the wiring in progress.

If I'm travelling to the Piccadilly side of Manchester, I usually change at Salford Crescent, but Bolton is an option and there's usually a few minutes to pass. Next time maybe.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Great shots Dave, thanks for posting...    In post 124, photo DAS000298, what is the purpose of the calling-on arm (if that's what it is)?   There seems to be plain track extending into the distance?

Thanks,

Bill

It's a shunt ahead, when cleared it allows trains to pass the main arm for the purpose of shunting only and not to proceed to the next box.

Haughton Sidings and Whitington were a peculiar arragement, when a tank train needed to enter the sidings at Whitington the driver collected the bobby from Gobowen South box and the train proceeded to Haughton, the bobby opened the box and the engine ran round, the bobby then closed the box again and returned with the train to Gobowen South and normal duties !

Needless to say, all gone now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for sharing yet more and more fantastic photos Dave, full of interest. Regarding DAS000309 showing Norwich Thorpe Junction signal box, in the foreground clutter of the concrete hut, buffer stop, lineside wooden loc and distant signal, there is a single lever - I can't see anything connected to it, any idea what this was for?

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing yet more and more fantastic photos Dave, full of interest. Regarding DAS000309 showing Norwich Thorpe Junction signal box, in the foreground clutter of the concrete hut, buffer stop, lineside wooden loc and distant signal, there is a single lever - I can't see anything connected to it, any idea what this was for?

Regards, Ian.

Don't know anything about the lever I'm afraid Ian - on the TIFF image which enlarges better there is no visible connection (as you say) to anything - I wonder if it's an old gong lever for shunting within the Crown Point area ? it's not shown on the Thorpe box diagram for 1980

• RMweb Gold

Regards, Ian.

Don't know anything about the lever I'm afraid Ian - on the TIFF image which enlarges better there is no visible connection (as you say) to anything - I wonder if it's an old gong lever for shunting within the Crown Point area ? it's not shown on the Thorpe box diagram for 1980

Is it a lever for a Clayton Magazine Detonator Placer?

The concrete hut could be the Fogman's Hut and the cupboard behind the lever could be for housing signal indicators.

The Distant by the box could be fogged manually from that position but there is nowhere by the Home coming round the curve to safely fog the lower distant arm.

The lever would have three notches in the quadrant, Normal for the detonator arm to be in the magazine, Mid to be parallel to the rail and Reverse for the detonator on the rail. When the Distant was cleared the Fogman would move the lever to the mid position. If the detonator was fired by a train then the lever was placed to Normal which dropped the used one out of the jaws and picked up a new one from the magazine. This held about 40 shots so the Fogman didn't have to keep going across tracks to put detonators on and off. 

The machine was made by Clayton of Penistone, who still make detonators for railway use today. I've searched around but can't find a picture, the last one I saw being used in anger was 1966.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your reply Dave. Yes, it could be used in relation to shunting, I'd not thought of that. No doubt someone, somewhee, might be able to confirm this.

Regards, Ian.

Norwich

20/06/1981 (Wednesday)

47581, Great Eastern,at Norwich ? on a London service ? - silver roofed

Excellent photos, totally enjoyable.

I know the railway press of the era referred to the GER 47s as having silver roofs, but they were actually 'Light Aircraft Grey'

Regards

• RMweb Premium

The concrete hut could be the Fogman's Hut and the cupboard behind the lever could be for housing signal indicators.

The Distant by the box could be fogged manually from that position but there is nowhere by the Home coming round the curve to safely fog the lower distant arm.

The lever would have three notches in the quadrant, Normal for the detonator arm to be in the magazine, Mid to be parallel to the rail and Reverse for the detonator on the rail. When the Distant was cleared the Fogman would move the lever to the mid position. If the detonator was fired by a train then the lever was placed to Normal which dropped the used one out of the jaws and picked up a new one from the magazine. This held about 40 shots so the Fogman didn't have to keep going across tracks to put detonators on and off. 

The machine was made by Clayton of Penistone, who still make detonators for railway use today. I've searched around but can't find a picture, the last one I saw being used in anger was 1966.

Hi SignalEngineer,

Another very good suggestion, also one I hadn't thought of. Does seem a bit strange that, if used for either suggestion, if the lever is no longer connected to anything (particularly the det magazine) why it is still in-situ? Even back then (without today's insightful H&S policies) I imagine it would have been a 'trip hazard' and been removed if no longer required.

Regards, Ian?

• RMweb Gold

Hi SignalEngineer,

Another very good suggestion, also one I hadn't thought of. Does seem a bit strange that, if used for either suggestion, if the lever is no longer connected to anything (particularly the det magazine) why it is still in-situ? Even back then (without today's insightful H&S policies) I imagine it would have been a 'trip hazard' and been removed if no longer required.

Regards, Ian?

Note in those days - look at some of my other photos, the late 1970s / early 1980s was still looking like a railway in decline with all sorts of crap unused items lying around

• RMweb Premium

Note in those days - look at some of my other photos, the late 1970s / early 1980s was still looking like a railway in decline with all sorts of crap unused items lying around

.... and there still is Dave!

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some of it is still there. I know of an almost-complete semaphore bracket signal in the trees at Hyde North.
  • Like 1

It's a shunt ahead, when cleared it allows trains to pass the main arm for the purpose of shunting only and not to proceed to the next box.

Haughton Sidings and Whitington were a peculiar arragement, when a tank train needed to enter the sidings at Whitington the driver collected the bobby from Whitington box and the train proceeded to Haughton, the bobby opened the box and the engine ran round, the bobby then closed the box again and returned with the train to Whitington and normal duties !

Needless to say, all gone now.

The Signalman was picked up from Gobowen South (which was only open for early turns, Monday to Friday), not Whittington. Haughton Sidings, we were told, was the only box still allowed to switch out of circuit with a train on line.

• RMweb Gold

Loving this thread Dave some cracking pictures

When you see pictures of Norwich like yours you wonder how it all fitted in as when you look across Riverside it doesn't look big enough

• RMweb Gold

Had a look aroung the web and I think I have found the answer in a picture from the mid 1970s.

https://flic.kr/p/dwHUbq

There is a rod from the lever goes to the right, under the Up Main and along the sleeper ends on the six-foot side of the Down Main. Just on the approach to the Down Main Home signal which carries a Distant for the Passenger Yard box there is something on the sleeper end which looks as if it could be a Clayton Machine.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a look aroung the web and I think I have found the answer in a picture from the mid 1970s.

There is a rod from the lever goes to the right, under the Up Main and along the sleeper ends on the six-foot side of the Down Main. Just on the approach to the Down Main Home signal which carries a Distant for the Passenger Yard box there is something on the sleeper end which looks as if it could be a Clayton Machine.

Hi SignalEngineer,

Nice piece of detective work. I'm impressed.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Having looked again at the picture I think it may be a Barton & Stanford's Patent one rather than a Clayton. The NRM have one (or at least had one, don't know if they've given it away) in the warehouse.

LNERGE of this parish may have more details, I believe he has a Clayton machine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Normal service will be resumed over the next day or two - I've been on holiday and some other things have taken my time but now I'm back at work (boo) and the other things are finishing today - My Mrs is an exams officer so you can guess the stress level she's been under, but today the GCSE results are out and she's done. Of course the senior management team have been very helpful <cough>