New class 47 bookazine

Dan Griffin

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I received my copy today and I've had a quick look through and I must say this has to be an excellent bookazine by Mr Wright there are some excellent pictures for anybody who maybe detailing a 47 or two I'm very pleased with this is an understatement.

Well done Mr Wright

Cheers

Colin

Agree, the photography is excellent, However too many captions give details of the train, but don't give the loco number, so on this occasion, a miss from me.

Gary

• RMweb Premium

I recently looked through the class 50 bookazine and have to say, I hope anyone who forks out £9.99 for this one, is better rewarded.

Ok, there are some nice pics, but these need better captions - the lack of loco identification makes it pretty useless as a modelling aid and the number of errors contained within them is unforgivable - whatever happened to proof reading?

• RMweb Premium

I think this ones more expensive. I have to say these are not great value for money compared to other bookazines. I just bought one on Sulzer engines, for instance at £6.99.

You sometimes pay for quality. Some "bookazines"* are terrible, especially when it come to the reproduction of the photos and the paper quality.

I saw this the other day. I was going to have a gander but there was a big wide bloke reading all the magazines in Smiffs and I was in a bit of hurry so I couldn't be bothered waiting for him to move as he seemed very engrossed in his reading. Not railway magazines I hasten to add, it was something like caravans that had his attention.

*Hate the term personally. This sums up my feelings on the term. https://metro.co.uk/2013/06/21/richard-herring-studies-magazines-on-the-top-shelf-3849770/

Jason

Agree, the photography is excellent, However too many captions give details of the train, but don't give the loco number, so on this occasion, a miss from me.

Gary

Hi Gary,

"a miss" for not including the loco number in a caption? if the number isn't known to the writer, unless it legible in the pic, it leaves a writer a little stumped..? seems a trivial reason not to buy an otherwise well researched piece of work?

Hi Gary,

"a miss" for not including the loco number in a caption? if the number isn't known to the writer, unless it legible in the pic, it leaves a writer a little stumped..? seems a trivial reason not to buy an otherwise well researched piece of work?

Hi, I understand if something is passing you at speed and you're talking photo's, it's not always possible to get the number, but when its stood in a station, in a clearly accessible location, what's difficult in walking a few extra yards to record the Loco number ? there's a photo of a western region Named 47, nameplate visible and even the caption gives a list of possible identities, but you could have had the correct loco number by walking a few extra yards.

I have no problem with the Photo's they are to Tony's excellent standard, but reading captions that say an un-identified 47 on a Mk 1 set or Mk 2 set, As I said not for me.

Gary

If it has an ISBN number, then it is considered a book. The British Library will have a copy as publishers have to provide them with one copy of everything.

It was with a sense of pride that I have found mine in the British Library catalogue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I understand if something is passing you at speed and you're talking photo's, it's not always possible to get the number, but when its stood in a station, in a clearly accessible location, what's difficult in walking a few extra yards to record the Loco number ? there's a photo of a western region Named 47, nameplate visible and even the caption gives a list of possible identities, but you could have had the correct loco number by walking a few extra yards.

I have no problem with the Photo's they are to Tony's excellent standard, but reading captions that say an un-identified 47 on a Mk 1 set or Mk 2 set, As I said not for me.

Gary

He was correct but it was 47560 tamar not what he thought it was! I have been going through it and I can Identify a few locos.

I saw this the other day. I was going to have a gander but there was a big wide bloke reading all the magazines in Smiffs and I was in a bit of hurry so I couldn't be bothered waiting for him to move as he seemed very engrossed in his reading. Not railway magazines I hasten to add, it was something like caravans that had his attention.

Jason

Went in again and couldn't find it. However the same bloke was in there, now reading (and I mean reading) the boat magazines....

Go to a library you freeloader. They have loads of books and magazines in there.

Jason