'Under the bed' layout, or ideas for 5ft 9" + 1ft 3"?

Hello all, for a summer project I've set myself the goal of getting more room out of my bedroom. Thus far my efforts to invent a 'bigger on the inside' device have failed and the UK government has firmly rejected my request to create a micronation in my own image, looks like I'm just going to have to buy another bookshelf... probably cheaper than a cult of personality in all honesty. All going well I'll hopefully have cleared out the stuff under my bed and gotten more room for my money. That will leave me with an old under bed draw, a cheap thing that is the sole survivor of a pair of beds that have since fallen apart. It occured to me that I could build a layout to fit into the draw and store it there when not in use, hence the name 'under the bed'. The draws interior is 5ft 9" (1804 MM) long by 1ft 3" (391 MM), I've included imperial measurements to aide with visualization, my preference is to work with millimeters. 

So what I'm looking for is ideas for this space, I've been looking over Ian Futers books trying to find a potential prototype, I've got a J36 on pre-order and I've put down a deposit for an 812 from Rails of Sheffield, but I'm not sure of modelling an exact prototype, Scotland is still not all well represented in RTR, and I'm not sure about kit building, though there is something I should be working on. Plus I have to consider that the closest (NBR) station to me is Crianlarich, which whilst a fascinating prototype, is not going to fit into my space without unacceptable compromise, though I do want to model the West Highland (or something close to it) at some point.

One major consideration is that there will be no fiddle yard, though I maybe could fit a cassette, but it would be pushing it. 

Here's a plan I made up last night. 

post-9274-0-67684900-1529097124_thumb.jpg

And another one. 

post-9274-0-46083000-1529097274_thumb.jpg

What are your thoughts on these two? What should I change?

Yours 

ScR

• Like 1

While it stalled for me due to a scale change, I am still very proud of my 4mm scale 4'x1' layout. Its an inglenook with an added runaround and kickback siding braching off the shorter sidings, plus the runaround is limited by a sector plate just big enough for the loco. Thus the puzzle ups from 8 wagons to 11 with destinations in the kickback which requires storage of wagons in the short siding or the runaround.

Operation was fun and a challenge if a wagon needed for the kickback was buried in the long siding.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107314-shelf-street-goods-station/?hl=%2Bshelf+%2Bstreet

Always did feel it couldve been better at 5' rather than 4' but I was working to tighter requirements than you are.

A key for designing a micro layout is to keep tracks non-parallel to the edges as it looks far more natural.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some other layouts by RMwebbers that could be adapted to your space are The Mill and Canute Road Quay, both of which owe something to the classic "Timesaver" shunting puzzle.

But note that all these plans are principally shunting layouts and your J36 and 812 are really going to be too big for them - for a start making the headshunts big enough for an 0-6-0 will eat up a lot of length. They are much better suited to a small shunting tank, of which we seem to have something of a glut at the moment (though a Barclay is the obvious Scottish choice).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Alternatively, do have room to add a fiddle yard on when the layout is set up to operate? It could be stored upside down on top of the drawer and would take up very little more height. Even 30" of train would be enough and then you could build a small branch terminus for your 0-6-0s.

Have you seen Shelfie by Paul Marshall Potter, a 4'x1' layout that could be adapted to many scenarios and also Scotswood road by Ian Futers, an urban station that could be adapted to oo gauge.

Steve.

• Like 1

There's also Drewry Lane which is 5'x1' and I've had the pleasure of operating it briefly and it's a good plan to shunt.

Have a trawl about on here as there is so much inspirational stuff.

Steve.

• RMweb Premium

Continuing on the branch terminus theme, perhaps a bitsa like Sandpiper's Ullapool?

Edit: it would work with pretty much the same track plan as The Mill, though you'd need a longer sector plate to cope with a useful number of wagons (passenger trains wouldn't need to have more than one coach visible). Again, a simple plug in fiddle yard would be a great help.

Edited by Flying Pig

Alternatively, do have room to add a fiddle yard on when the layout is set up to operate? It could be stored upside down on top of the drawer and would take up very little more height. Even 30" of train would be enough and then you could build a small branch terminus for your 0-6-0s.

Hi FP, the reason why a fiddle yard is a difficult ask for me is due to the fact that I still live with my parents, and since none of my siblings are permanently based elsewhere yet, I can’t use their rooms. So anything I build is going to have to be small, portable and stored out of sight. So for the foreseeable future I’m stuck with the space between my bed and bookshelves, in fact even 5ft is pushing it somewhat, the door will have to be closed.

That said, I have measured the space between my bed and the floor, it came out to 23 CM. On the other hand, I have been looking for an excuse to get a J70.

Of the two plans you displayed, I quite like the second one because it would give you a classic Inglenook shunting puzzle. That can be quite entertaining to operate, especially if you are using the playing card system.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello all, for a summer project I've set myself the goal of getting more room out of my bedroom. Thus far my efforts to invent a 'bigger on the inside' device have failed and the UK government has firmly rejected my request to create a micronation in my own image, looks like I'm just going to have to buy another bookshelf... probably cheaper than a cult of personality in all honesty. All going well I'll hopefully have cleared out the stuff under my bed and gotten more room for my money. That will leave me with an old under bed draw, a cheap thing that is the sole survivor of a pair of beds that have since fallen apart. It occured to me that I could build a layout to fit into the draw and store it there when not in use, hence the name 'under the bed'. The draws interior is 5ft 9" (1804 MM) long by 1ft 3" (391 MM), I've included imperial measurements to aide with visualization, my preference is to work with millimeters.

So what I'm looking for is ideas for this space, I've been looking over Ian Futers books trying to find a potential prototype, I've got a J36 on pre-order and I've put down a deposit for an 812 from Rails of Sheffield, but I'm not sure of modelling an exact prototype, Scotland is still not all well represented in RTR, and I'm not sure about kit building, though there is something I should be working on. Plus I have to consider that the closest (NBR) station to me is Crianlarich, which whilst a fascinating prototype, is not going to fit into my space without unacceptable compromise, though I do want to model the West Highland (or something close to it) at some point.

One major consideration is that there will be no fiddle yard, though I maybe could fit a cassette, but it would be pushing it.

Here's a plan I made up last night.

Under the bed layout 2.jpg

And another one.

Under the bed layout.jpg

What are your thoughts on these two? What should I change?

Yours

ScR

I had just found this thread. I like the second track plan better than the first one because it gives you a classic Inglenook yard layout. Despite the fact that I live in The States, I love the standard Inglenook layout better than the standard Timesaver layout because Inglenook layouts are more prototypical and they use less turnouts(switches).

Wendell

Idaho, USA

You could make a good "Piano Line" in that space, the virtue of that design being that it gives you a FY within the main length. With a bit of care on the scenic dressing, they can look surprisingly convincing.

Dedicated thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/24517-time-to-tune-the-piano/

However, IMHO, some of the elaborations ram in too much track, thereby losing the point (well, gaining one actually). A pal of mine built a straight copy of the original for his son many years ago, and it proved surprisingly popular even with 'grown up' enthusiasts.

You could make a good "Piano Line" in that space, the virtue of that design being that it gives you a FY within the main length. With a bit of care on the scenic dressing, they can look surprisingly convincing.

Dedicated thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/24517-time-to-tune-the-piano/

However, IMHO, some of the elaborations ram in too much track, thereby losing the point (well, gaining one actually). A pal of mine built a straight copy of the original for his son many years ago, and it proved surprisingly popular even with 'grown up' enthusiasts.

'Plus one' for the piano line design. I built a 009 scale version and it kept me very entertained both pottering at home and also on the exhibition circuit. Offers lots of operational potential. If you have access to any old Railway Modeller magazines there was an excellent 2mm scale versiom in the September '97 issue called Little Norton, modelled by an Edward Seed. Well worth a look if you can as it shows the plan transfered to a really believable setting. Always been a favourite of mine.

David

Imitation is the sincerest form of not having read the rest of the thread very thoroughly.

Added to which, the OP hasn’t ‘taken the bait’ yet, so good to keep dangling it ...... as we all agree, he really should build a piano line!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I discovered the 'Piano Line' through a French layout called La Planche Port at a show in 2013. I remember especially liked the layout, it came across as a coherent sort of a design where everything looked right. I took some photos, here they are stitched together. IIRC the layout was 5ft x 1ft so the OP has a bit of leeway to make something more spacious. Anyway, it shows how such a scheme can look like full size:

post-14389-0-50030900-1533975444_thumb.jpg

- Richard.

• Like 4

I discovered the 'Piano Line' through a French layout called La Planche Port at a show in 2013. I remember especially liked the layout, it came across as a coherent sort of a design where everything looked right. I took some photos, here they are stitched together. IIRC the layout was 5ft x 1ft so the OP has a bit of leeway to make something more spacious. Anyway, it shows how such a scheme can look like full size:

La Planche Port.jpg

- Richard.

It's a cracking little plan, maximising the scenic length of the layout and allowing all moves to be carried out 'on scene' before then disappearing off to the fiddle yard. I utilised it for a small 009 layout and it kept me entertained over a two day show.

I think it works better for freight only layouts but it can be utilised for passenger stations too. The layout I have referenced before - Little Norton - did this superbly by using the piano line concept for an out and back terminus station. This meant it was effectively a junction station so there were two exits to the fiddle yard, one as in the plan above and the other from the right lead track (again as seen above). Gives extra scope to operation. This was N gauge, and I think 180cm in length, so had a lot more room to breath as a plan.

David

Just reading this thread

Question. Could the piano line work fot an American HO layout within 5'?

Potentially, although the issue may be in the length of the freight cars. British short wheelbase wagons obviously require less room than American boxcars so shunting layouts can be condensed and sidings can be shorter. Are you using 40' cars or more modern 50' ones?

David