Oxford rail and war wagons

Thebigshot

Hi Guys

With the warwell wagons already out and the rail gun comming out I am just woundering how many war wagon will be comming from Oxford Rail in the future and what you guys would like to have in terms of wagons

Thanks

Alan

I'm not sure there are that many more types to cover. Warwells, as you say, are already available from two suppliers. There are some types of Warflat programmed by Bachmann, and possibly someone else. Amongst the purpose-built wagons, that leaves the six-axle Warwell (built for the Sherman successor; later to be known as the Flatrol MJJ or WJJ by BR) and the Ramp Wagon. In BR days, there were some specially-built Palvans for the Army, along with some standard 13t opens, but otherwise the military used railway company stock. I'd much rather that Oxford did some post WW2 'soft-top' vehicles, such as the RL and ML Bedfords, which could serve as loads, or simply parked around the station.

• Like 1

It depends on what you describe as War Wagons, there are the MoT 21 ton Coal Hoppers and the few that were actually built as vans. Southern Railway design brake vans.

After the war there were 12 ton palvans, highfits and small number of 1/208 Vanfits built for the MoD.

For wartime there were also the USATC wagons and tanks!

Mark Saunders

Rectanks would be a nice addition to the range, along with a ramp wagon for the warflats. They could also produce the smaller railguns such as the 12 inch but that might be a bit more niche, although I think some were kept in Britain in WW2 for defense so that would justify them on British lines if anyone needs an excuse. War office and Naval tankers would be good as well, there's a few different livery's for them and they can release them with different numbers to help make up rakes. 

• Like 2

Bachmann has the WW1 Parrot wagon coming out soonish.

I wouldn't have any problem with more WW1 rail guns (e.g. 9.2") but I might be kinda lonely in that opinion  :-)

• Like 2

Palvans would be a nice addition, as they're quite distinct from other vans and could also be produced in BR or PLA liveries and so would have widespread appeal. Heck, they could produce a die cast forklift truck as a tie-in.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 1

Bachmann has the WW1 Parrot wagon coming out soonish.

I wouldn't have any problem with more WW1 rail guns (e.g. 9.2") but I might be kinda lonely in that opinion  :-)

Hey, you're not alone. I'll second the 9.2in and we need some ammo trailers to go with these guns (14in included).

How about some plain black aviation fuel wagons? Of course anyone could paint over existing tank wagons but it'd be a nice easy livery for a manufacturer :P

I believe aviation fuel would have been a Class A liquid (low flashpoint) conveyed in light-coloured tanks; pre-WW2 they would have been silver, but during the War, they'd have been light grey.

Someone else mentioned  WD Palvans; these dated from the 1950s, and were somewhat longer than the BR standard ones.

I believe aviation fuel would have been a Class A liquid (low flashpoint) conveyed in light-coloured tanks; pre-WW2 they would have been silver, but during the War, they'd have been light grey.

Someone else mentioned  WD Palvans; these dated from the 1950s, and were somewhat longer than the BR standard ones.

There are two types of Palvan as the MoD had a number of clones of the BR ( Parkside kit) ones and the later airbraked ones that survived in mainline use till the mid 80’s.

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

I am interested you state, light grey. This site (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/6-livy/odds/9-tankliv.htm) says dark grey for WW2. I have some tank wagons and  suitable transfers for a wartime rake, but not nailed down the shade of grey that I should use. Any pointers you have would be welcome.