Plymouth Model Railway Show. 2018

Albert Bridge

Hi All

The Plymouth show is on Saturday 23 June, in the Abbey Hall, Catherine Street, Plymouth. PL1 2AD. Behind St Andrews Church.

Phil has laid on 7 layouts for your delectation this year, plus trade support and light refreshments. If he tells me what they are I will post the details. I think that the layouts include Invernevis http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108945-invernevis-based-on-fort-william-in-n-gauge/?hl=invernevis and The Shed.

Hi All

The Plymouth show is on Saturday 23 June, in the Abbey Hall, Catherine Street, Plymouth. PL1 2AD. Behind St Andrews Church.

Phil has laid on 7 layouts for your delectation this year, plus trade support and light refreshments. If he tells me what they are I will post the details. I think that the layouts include Invernevis http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108945-invernevis-based-on-fort-william-in-n-gauge/?hl=invernevis and The Shed.

I can confirm that The Shed will be in attendance.

post-15694-0-95354200-1529221318_thumb.jpg

Rob

• Like 4

I think that the show in the Guild Hall is the military modelling boys annual show and not the toy train show.

Oops, I fink I got it wrong again! 

Thanks for clarifying.

I have just googled 'plymouth model railway show' and the first find is the military model show, nowhere on the first two pages does the model railway show appear, the 2017 one does but not the 2018 one.

Edited by royaloak

<<<<<<<The Plymouth show is on Saturday 23 June, in the Abbey Hall, Catherine Street, Plymouth. PL1 2AD. Behind St Andrews Church.>>>>>>>

Its been a while but even I remember the difference between the Guildhall and Abbey Hall! :scratchhead:

Brian.

<<<<<<<The Plymouth show is on Saturday 23 June, in the Abbey Hall, Catherine Street, Plymouth. PL1 2AD. Behind St Andrews Church.>>>>>>>

Its been a while but even I remember the difference between the Guildhall and Abbey Hall! :scratchhead:

Brian.

And yet no details available online, the source most people use these days.  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Oops, I fink I got it wrong again! 

Thanks for clarifying.

I have just googled 'plymouth model railway show' and the first find is the military model show, nowhere on the first two pages does the model railway show appear, the 2017 one does but not the 2018 one.

I think you will find it on the RMweb calendar, here.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/calendar/

and on the UK model shops site here

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/exhibitions

I think you will find it on the RMweb calendar, here.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/calendar/

and on the UK model shops site here

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/exhibitions

Not much use to Mr and Mrs Normal and their 2.4 children though is it, it should be available by a simple google search as the military modelling exhibition the week after is.

As this show is so poorly advertised there probably wont be one next year which would be a shame, it has been getting smaller and smaller as the years go by.

I should point out that Phil has organised the show since it moved to the Abbey Hall and has used the same advertising etc. as previous years and the numbers through the door have been consistent too within 6 people. Most of the customers through the door are from the on street advertising put out on the day, with a few modellers that read the Railway Modeller.

As I mentioned above, the publicity officers job is available, if you think you can do a better job. Your budget will be the same as his £0.00

As this show is so poorly advertised there probably wont be one next year which would be a shame, it has been getting smaller and smaller as the years go by.

Its surprising that a city the size of Plymouth can't support a model train show these days.  Much smaller Exeter can muster around thirty layouts and while both may share exhibitors from in between, it's a shame the Abbey Hall can't attract more than seven.

Brian.

Hi everyone,

Yep - Invernevis is booked to attend my "home" show on Saturday.

I've spent this evening getting this little lot ready...

post-16405-0-90735900-1529622661_thumb.jpg

The layout had a good test run earlier this evening, so hopefully should look like this at the weekend.

post-16405-0-40092600-1529622813_thumb.jpg

Cheers - see you on Saturday.

David

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Its surprising that a city the size of Plymouth can't support a model train show these days.  Much smaller Exeter can muster around thirty layouts and while both may share exhibitors from in between, it's a shame the Abbey Hall can't attract more than seven.

Brian.

Hi Brian

From memory of the last few shows, the Abbey hall is only about 30 foot square, so not a lot of room for layouts and trade. I shall certainly go and have a butchers, looks like a number of quality layouts that I haven't seen before.

Hi Brian

From memory of the last few shows, the Abbey hall is only about 30 foot square, so not a lot of room for layouts and trade. I shall certainly go and have a butchers, looks like a number of quality layouts that I haven't seen before.

Just as well there were only seven then. I didn't realise it was actually that small, but its been a while! :dontknow:

Brian

Brian.

Exeter has layouts from across the country. I will be taking my layout 160 miles to be there.

Brian.

It is a shame but with the Guildhall commanding a price in the region of £2500  for the weekend then the risk is to great for a small club these days.  When you include expenses and accommodation etc it's just not viable.

We are happy with the small show we put on and have received several good comments as people find the show has a more personal feel.

E

• Like 1

Big shows, little shows and middle size shows al have their good points and their place in the circuit. Even a small show takes a lot of organising and is the realisation of a lot of hard work over the preceding year. I'm glad it sounds like the Plymouth show was successful; small affordable shows are very much part of the life blood of the hobby and every bit as important to the total picture as the large ones.

• Like 2

I had a good day showing The Shed, and although a small show, I found the atmosphere good and I had time to chat to the public who wanted to discuss the layout. My thanks to Phil and all in the team for the invitation to exhibit and for their organization of the show.

Rob

Well, by all accounts it would seem that we had a successful show, despite the odd naysayer prophesying that the show was likely to fail. The final figures aren't in yet.

Phil would like to thank all those that attended, both exhibitors and visitors alike.

• RMweb Gold

Myself, Ray and David had a great day yesterday.

Did seem to be reasonably busy during the morning and quite a few little ones enjoying the layout.

No major issues with Orchard Road, except that had a problem with the USB interface / Raspberry pi / phones until I realised that I had not plugged the USB interfacein to the PowerCab!