Fitting Snow Ploughs To O gauge 37

Just recently gone over to O Gauge and have purchased a Heljan class 37 that i would love to fit snow ploughs to.Cant find any info on how to go about it.All replies will be appreciated.Already fitted with dcc sound and screw link couplings

You really need to go R/C with onboard batteries to get the best from a snow plough fitted 37.  My 00 Lima ones look fantastic clearing a few mm of snow off the garden line in winter...

O gauge with sound, smoke etc would be even better 

You really need to go R/C with onboard batteries to get the best from a snow plough fitted 37.  My 00 Lima ones look fantastic clearing a few mm of snow off the garden line in winter...

O gauge with sound, smoke etc would be even better 

Sorry but this doesnt answer my question,i already have DCC sound fitted and it is a Heljan o gauge loco.Performance is not the issue its fitting the snow ploughs to the model.Thanks for your reply though

Sorry but this doesnt answer my question,i already have DCC sound fitted and it is a Heljan o gauge loco.Performance is not the issue its fitting the snow ploughs to the model.Thanks for your reply though

Go through Dave Parkins at Modern Motive Power, he has some really nice snowplough sets in his detail set etch that have all the correct fittings and will fit easily to the front of any reasonably accurate O gauge diesel.  You may need to drill some holes for wires for the outer two ploughs but you'll be fine with that.

• 6 months later...

Just recently gone over to O Gauge and have purchased a Heljan class 37 that i would love to fit snow ploughs to.Cant find any info on how to go about it.All replies will be appreciated.Already fitted with dcc sound and screw link couplings

Hi Barry

Did you have any success with your query ref the Cl 37 snowploughs in the end?

I’ve just got my set of Heljan snowploughs out of the box for my 37 and have confirmed Heljan have written the fitting instructions in invisible ink as usual. I rather suspect the two holes in the ploughs are somehow associated with the buffer shanks, but the diameter of the holes are way beyond the diameter of the head of the shanks.

I’ve asked my daughter’s hamster to take a look at the problem but he’s as nonplussed as I am!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon

You have to gently prise the buffers from the loco and the buffer shanks will come adrift so be careful not to lose them.... Once the buffers and the shanks have been removed place the snowplough behind the buffer beam and insert the shanks through the snowplough holes and push the buffers back into the bufferbeam.

Jim

Edited by jcarta

• 1 year later...

So I have the new (2020) 37/0 and to fit the snowplow you need to remove the body. Once removed there are two holes in the chassis that the provided screws are meant to fit so you can screw the snowplough to the chassis. The hole isn't big enough, so enlarged with a drill.

The hoses etc fill around the snow plough. Looks good.

Cheers

Brian

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello, I’m really stuck with fitting the snowploughs on my Heljan 37/0. I have drilled out the two holes to 1.8mm and driven the screws through to get a good tight fit. So far so good…

But when I try to fit the ploughs, I get problems. I have tried fitting them behind the chassis block like this.

62B598D1-18E0-4E3B-A442-B523E21D53D4.jpeg.c658177518dbcfb802ca0b03e9087bf2.jpeg

And also in front of the chassis block like this. The bogies fit in this case but the screw head stops the buffers compressing.

6A8297AA-5237-4495-8B9C-79584FD34BD7.jpeg.b1f978952bb0da2f151f629b7b80d55b.jpeg

Is there a third way which I haven’t thought of? And if not, which is the right way and how does one get around the problems that I describe?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy

I've not got a skirted 37 (well, not one thats hasn't had them removed) but generally the ploughs fit behind the bufferbeam on the 37's/ The holes are not for screws but for the rear of the buffers to pass through. Now I am wondering if on this version they fit in front of the cast part of the bufferbeam, between that and the skirts?

Edited by D6775

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, D6775 said:

I've not got a skirted 37 (well, not one thats hasn't had them removed) but generally the ploughs fit behind the bufferbeam on the 37's/ The holes are not for screws but for the rear of the buffers to pass through. Now I am wondering if on this version they fit in front of the cast part of the bufferbeam, between that and the skirts?

Thanks for coming back to me. They certainly will fit in front of the cast bit as in my second photo above but this means that the buffers don’t compress with the screws in place. I could glue them in place in front of the cast bit and then remove the screws which would allow the buffers to compress. I haven’t tried directly behind the buffer beam but again they would need to be glued in place. Did you attach yours with glue?

directly behind the buffer beams. 

All mine are on the later versions without skirts so a bit different, but my 26 is similar and glued on to the buffer beam. I actually cut the ploughs into their three pieces and attach them individually. The centre plough normally needs a bit of extra work to make suitable brackets to fit to the buffer beam. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your advice. I have tried gluing the ploughs to the outer side of the cast chassis using cyano. This worked well as I could hold them on with the screws while they glued and then remove the screws afterwards. I now have ploughs and working buffers on my 37051 c.1982 early West Highland look.

C7568414-01E3-4743-8795-D501C9516B51.jpeg.e1ecf2b01991f2bd0916f286ff9603de.jpeg

As you can see Railmatch BR yellow doesn’t match the Heljan version, but I hope this will be lost under weathering.

So, unless anyone can see a problem with this, I intend to do the same at the other end.

Andy

• Like 1