On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:19, ModellerChris said:

Any progress?

Unfortunately my ill health and the death of a close family member have intervened during the last 6 months, I am hoping to make further progress on this shortly.

One change has to been to move the era back slightly to 1947-48 in the period around nationalisation. This will allow some stock to appear in Big 4 & wartime liveries, with a smattering of items in very early BR liveries. Obviously it will be too early for any BR standard designed items, so the BR designed wagons I had have been sold on, whilst the earlier era wagons are having their liveries backdated as appropriate.

Edited by vaughan45
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry to hear of both your health issues and the loss you've suffered. Sometimes modelling can be just the solace you need, but it can be difficult to fit them in when events such as those you've mentioned impact time so much.

It's good to see that the layout is still there and you know where you're going with it. Looking forwards to seeing progress.

Posted (edited)

Following an interruption due to health and family matters, work has recommenced on this project, starting with two buildings. The warehouse is built from two Petite Properties Parker's warehouse kits joined together and extended. The brick finish is Redutex English bond red weathered and some of the card fittings provided in the kits have been replaced with plasticard equivalents. The roof slate is also Redutex and the guttering / downpipes are Ratio items.

The  house is built from a Metcalf semi-detached house kit, again covered with Redutex brick and using  Redutex weathered slate. Chimney lead flashing is from a Scalescenes sheet.  The rear wall is plasticard & Redutex with rounded capping by Wills. The two chimney pots are by Lanarkshire Models, with the remaining eight still to be added along with guttering and downpipes. Once correctly positioned they will disguise the track entry on the left hand side of the layout.

The curved backscene is a custom cut length of 1mm styrene sheet fitted inside the Tim Horn baseboard box, to minimise added weight, the layout sub-bed is 10mm Foamex  plastic sheet. 

DSC02793.JPG.4cb16572c9c6dbea2bd8adf8aedb496a.JPG

Edited by vaughan45
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

How did you find it using the Redutex product please.

7 hours ago, gwrrob said:

How did you find it using the Redutex product please.

Generally I was pleased with how it performs. I did note the following:

• When applying a section of sheet it is best to only remove the backing from the immediate area being worked on
  • For corners light scribing is required on the rear of the sheet to get a crisp bend
  • When bending the sheet into door or window openings, it is best to fold the surplus material back onto the rear surface of the wall and then trim away the excess with a chisel blade knife. I also ran a thin bead of superglue up the rear of the window /door reveal after trimming the excess, to ensure it remained in place after trimming.
  • As with other brick finishes it needs careful alignment with window and door openings.

Otherwise it is much the same as using embossed plasticard, with the advantage it is already pre-coloured. The key advantage over brick paper is that it has embossed mortar lines and brick surface texture.

Hope this helps,

Regards Vaughan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1