Ledsam street yard. In 00 gauge? ( Please move if it's in the wrong section)

A few years ago in RM magazine there was a 7mm gauge layout called Ledsam Street Yard by Colin French built on a baseboard 3'9 x 1'4". Simple in design but worked really well.

My question is What size could I make it in 00 gauge?

Thanks

Milano

• RMweb Premium

A few years ago in RM magazine there was a 7mm gauge layout called Ledsam Street Yard by Colin French built on a baseboard 3'9 x 1'4". Simple in design but worked really well.

Thanks

Milano

Using the ratio of 7 to 4 the layout in 00 would be 2 ft 2 ins long by 9 1/8 ins, I have rounded up the fractions.

• Like 2

The name "Ledsam street" sounded familiar
Then I realised I had seen it at an exhibition somewhere, and had been quite taken with the design, and fancied having a go at something similar myself
Then I recalled I had taken some shots of it! :)

post-2973-0-90050000-1529326227_thumb.jpg

post-2973-0-58107800-1529326235_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Yes Mark that's the one. Simple track plan even I could build it I hope. Just not sure about the sector plate. According to the article it will,take a loco and 1 wagon so it doesn't have to be that long.

Thanks for the photos Marc.

Milano

• Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Milano Ledsam Street yard is a really nice little layout and nicely modelled. Looking forward to see your layout progress.:)

Hello Milano,

It was this layout seen on Carl Arendt's site that got me making my first micro. Years later I met Colin and his wife at the Hitchin 0 Gauge show, by that time they'd been taking it to shows for 10 years.

The track plan works something like this.

attachicon.gifMilano.jpg

The dotted line is the backscene and behind it a fiddle track.

I've assumed 120 mm for a loco and 85 mm for a small wagon

Cheers

Jim

Many Many thanks for the track plan and measurements. I didn't realise that there was a hidden track as well. Hopefully I will get the baseboard made at the weekend and get some track down.

Cheers

Milano

Yes Mark that's the one. Simple track plan even I could build it I hope. Just not sure about the sector plate. According to the article it will,take a loco and 1 wagon so it doesn't have to be that long.

Thanks for the photos Marc.

Milano

Hi again Milano,

Yes, the sector plate on Ledsam Street is a simple, single road affair.

As has been said, it's just long enough for the short loco and one wagon

I did take a peek at it at the time of those pics - but didn't get a shot of it - but it was very simple and should be easy enough to do - if I can build one, you can

I think it was a piece of ply, with a bit of track, and had a simple pivot at the far end... think it was just a screw - but you could use a bearing, for smooth operation

I had thought about a similar design, perhaps with a longer fiddle / sector plate - enabling 2 wagons (or longer stock) with an added road for extra flexibility / operation

However, in such a small, compact space - it would be easy to overdo it, and add too much - making the whole thing look more cramped..... 

Again, design and "balance" can help combat this - perhaps it can help, if you're looking for that "hemmed-in" appearance, where the railway is dwarfed by large buildings,

and where tracks emerge from between tall structures......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello all,

Thanks for the name Luke.

foxbile3.jpg

I found it on the Carl Arendt site: http://www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-94a-february-2010/#foxbile

I think the fiddle track is a great idea, saves taking stuff off the layout and dropping it :-(

Cheers

Hi Jim

I hope Disguised (well I would be if I came) from Market Harborough doesn't incorporate something to prevent dropping stuff.  :nono:  Half the fun of operating one of his layouts is being on my hands and knees looking for the bits that have appeared to have fallen off the wagon I have dropped. :dontknow:  Only for Dave to say "They weren't on it to start with". :derisive:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Yes, I am now on this site.  I was dragged into the 21st century yesterday!!!!!!!  Ledsam Street Yard was my interpretation of a 00 layout called Balls Yard I saw in Model Trains some years ago, I've still got the article if any one is interested.  Three Holes Depot will be at Southwold.  Regards to all.

• Like 1

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the welcome.  I'm afraid Ffodos Treacle Works is no more, the source of the black treacle ore dried up.  However it may emerge again as a standard guage layout if I can get planning permission from the Domestic Authority!!!!!

Colin

Hi Colin.

Welcome to the forum, I am fan of your micro layouts and I have found your layouts in magazines, internet etc very interesting, I also like FFODDOS.

Jerry.

Hi All,

Yes, I am now on this site.  I was dragged into the 21st century yesterday!!!!!!!  Ledsam Street Yard was my interpretation of a 00 layout called Balls Yard I saw in Model Trains some years ago, I've still got the article if any one is interested.  Three Holes Depot will be at Southwold.  Regards to all.

Colin welcome to RMWeb. I was one the who started the topic as I am interested in building a very simulator one to yours. I have sent you a PM.

Regards

Milano

Hi Jerry,

No, thats gone as well as it was limited operational interest.  Its been replaced with two seperate layouts Dock Green Loco and Scole Mk2.

Colin

Hi Colin.

Sorry to hear ffodos is no more, do you still have the other ffodos which was two layouts in one, a small engine shed/depot and the other a small station?

Jerry.

Hi Milano,

Did you receive the copy of Balls Yard emailed to you on Monday?

Regards,

Colin

Thanks
Milano