N gauge J94

TomJ

I’m not asking for detailed updates or timescales but with the cancellation of the class 17 I wondered how/if this would affect the plans for the J94 in N. Is this still planned to go ahead?

I’m asking because I’m thinking of a new layout for which an industrial tank is pretty much essential. So I don’t want to start cutting wood if this isn’t going ahead.

Thanks

I’m not asking for detailed updates or timescales but with the cancellation of the class 17 I wondered how/if this would affect the plans for the J94 in N. Is this still planned to go ahead?

To my knowledge, Dave has said that it is still going ahead, it depends on funding coming in from the OO models; plus he is busy with a few other projects at the moment, such as the APT and King, it would come in time.

I’m asking because I’m thinking of a new layout for which an industrial tank is pretty much essential. So I don’t want to start cutting wood if this isn’t going ahead.

Thanks

Would it need to be a J94/Austerity? Would kit building be an option? I have seen a few kits out there, including a Peckett with a 3D printed saddle which takes a lot of the effort out of forming it.

At the end of the day, this is your layout we're talking about; don't take this as me trying to stop you or turn you away from Dave's work.

Thanks. The layout is based on an NCB exchange sidings in South Wales so an Austerity would be pretty useful. There is a kit for the Peckett but I’ve had no luck sourcing the chassis

As woodenhead says, a pannier would be another option.

Re the Peckett, if it's a four-coupled example then n-drive productions should be able to help, otherwise if it's a six-coupled example you'd need to look elsewhere and probably use another RTR model as a donor.

Edited by 08-362

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread only because my memory was jogged today by this: -

post-4469-0-09122500-1537116510_thumb.jpg

This strikes me as such a great choice, I do wonder if crowdfunding it would be an option, after all there are (as with the 00 one) almost limitless livery variants and subtle differences between locos.

Roy

20180916_160622.jpg

This strikes me as such a great choice, I do wonder if crowdfunding it would be an option, after all there are (as with the 00 one) almost limitless livery variants and subtle differences between locos.

Roy

That looks like it’s pulling a brass coach kit that hasn’t been painted
  • Like 1

20180916_160622.jpg

Roy

I did mention 66 to Dave a couple of years ago, around or possibly before the first batch liveries were revealed, I can't remember; I recall that it was on the list to be considered for a later batch. I would be very interested if it does become a reality, doubly so if it's released as one of the N gauge models.

• 6 months later...

This model has to be as viable as it is possible to realistically get as a project in any scale given the huge variety of liveries it has carried and different features of class members, so in N, the second most popular British scale (about a quarter of 00 by sales volume we are told) one would realistically expect there to be a demand that far exceeds 800 units.

So the issue is not the prototype I am sure, it is probably a combination of factors including relative lack of high profile publicity and more significantly the list of announced but as yet undelivered models that precede it and as yet no N gauge powered model delivered as a DJM product. It could well be that positive movement regarding the King will give people more confidence to commit. If not, I strongly suspect the J94 is a model that will be snaffled by someone else, just look how many livery variants of it were produced in the Poole era of what was a popular and very affordable model.

Incidentally I do respectfully disagree with a previous comment that we might be seeing movement away from Crowdfunding. You just have to look at the success of RevolutioN so far. N and 00 products that have met or exceeded MOQs, delivered, or in the pipeline and a number of others for which order books are yet to open. That looks pretty successful to me and as a crowdfunding model theirs is certainly proven. This is because their approach is professional, they select subjects which are realistic, publicise effectively, and have established a solid track record of delivering exquisite models. 

Roy

34 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

Incidentally I do respectfully disagree with a previous comment that we might be seeing movement away from Crowdfunding. You just have to look at the success of RevolutioN so far. N and 00 products that have met or exceeded MOQs, delivered, or in the pipeline and a number of others for which order books are yet to open. That looks pretty successful to me and as a crowdfunding model theirs is certainly proven. This is because their approach is professional, they select subjects which are realistic, publicise effectively, and have established a solid track record of delivering exquisite models. 

Roy

I read the crowdfunding comment as referring to the DJModels portfolio only, given the success of crowdfunding elsewhere in the N and 00 market. The DJM marketing mix has not achieved the impact that others have, and as suggested the effectiveness of promotion and publicity plays no small part in succeeding with crowdfunding. Everyone has to start somewhere, but with Dave Jones’ experience with Dapol, and now five years “development” work since the launch of the business, the progress has been far below expectations all round. Nothing I have supported myself or promoted often on other forums has yet been delivered, and only one looks like  arriving based on today’s uptake figures.

Edited by Mike Harvey
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 06/04/2019 at 19:53, Roy L S said:

This model has to be as viable as it is possible to realistically get as a project in any scale given the huge variety of liveries it has carried and different features of class members, so in N, the second most popular British scale (about a quarter of 00 by sales volume we are told) one would realistically expect there to be a demand that far exceeds 800 units.

So the issue is not the prototype I am sure, it is probably a combination of factors including relative lack of high profile publicity and more significantly the list of announced but as yet undelivered models that precede it and as yet no N gauge powered model delivered as a DJM product. It could well be that positive movement regarding the King will give people more confidence to commit. If not, I strongly suspect the J94 is a model that will be snaffled by someone else, just look how many livery variants of it were produced in the Poole era of what was a popular and very affordable model.

Roy

? Advertising.   Since he dropped off forums, so has the interest

• AY Mod locked this topic